Motoring Discussion > Stiff ignition lock Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 10

Stiff ignition lock - Rudedog
Can you lube a stiff ignition lock without issues?

I've just had to move my son's new second-hand car (2009) and noticed how stiff the key is to turn to start the car.

The key is good and not worn, equally on the outside the ignition lock is clean and doesn't seem to have interfered with.

I think the whole car might have been left to stand for a while before it was sold (door hinges were a bit creaky).

If I used a spray though a straw to get inside would this cause a problem with anything else?

I've got either silicone, GT85, WD40 or a Quantum branded door lock lubricant.

Stiff ignition lock - Zero
Yes you can use any of those, won't affect the electrical switch which is usually sealed.

I doubt they will be effective tho, I suspect your cause might be elsewhere other than lubrication.
 Stiff ignition lock - jc2
Of the four,I would be tempted to use the lock lubricant-just one go as I think Zero may be right.
 Stiff ignition lock - R.P.
Don't whatever you do use WD40 - this will strip out any lubricant already in the lock. You need a graphite lubricant - trust me.
 Stiff ignition lock - Runfer D'Hills
Yes, trust him, the Welsh know about lubrication. They have to...
;-)
:-)...then sold as Kebabs over Offa's dyke.
 Stiff ignition lock - Mapmaker
>You need a graphite lubricant - trust me.

Old violinist's trick, rub key with soft pencil.
 Stiff ignition lock - Runfer D'Hills
Works on stiff zips too, the pencil thing.
 Stiff ignition lock - tyrednemotional
......bit of a turn-off/delay if you have to go and find a pencil, though.......

(Have I got hold of the wrong end of the pencil stick again........)
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Sat 7 Jul 18 at 12:04
Graphite !
 Stiff ignition lock - Rudedog
Cheers.

Yes found how good WD40 was as a solvent after I used it to remove pine resin from my bonnet, cleaned it no problem in a few seconds.

Probably look at the door lock lube then the silicone.
Latest Forum Posts