Motoring Discussion > Windscreen Washers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 19

Windscreen Washers - Duncan
What happened to the people who wanted to wash your windscreen when you stopped at traffic lights?

They've gorn?
 Windscreen Washers - sooty123
In this country?
 Windscreen Washers - Zero
>> In this country?

Yes, lot in West London. Used to be newspaper sellers as well, going down the lines of cars selling the standard.
 Windscreen Washers - sooty123
> Yes, lot in West London. Used to be newspaper sellers as well, going down the
>> lines of cars selling the standard.
>>

Can't say I've ever seen them in this country, when did they used to be in W London?

>> Can't say I've ever seen them in this country, when did they used to be
>> in W London?

All over where there was a line of cars at traffic lights, last spot I know was the queue at A306 Roehampton Lane, waiting to get onto the A3
>> What happened to the people who wanted to wash your windscreen when you stopped at
>> traffic lights?

Thank god they have, useless peeps they were. I used to put my washers and wipers on to keep them at arms length.
 Windscreen Washers - Duncan
Used to be good fun when they were working their way down a line of cars. I have never before heard the phrase "Oi! Foxtrot Oscar", uttered so many times.
 Windscreen Washers - Rudedog
Maybe they've all been promoted to the full car and a hand-car wash ;)
Last edited by: Rudedog on Fri 6 Jul 18 at 09:31
 Windscreen Washers - R.P.
They seem to be springing up everywhere. I'm reluctant to use them, anecdotally they seem to be vehicles for organised crime, trafficking, worker exploitation as well as a front for the sex industry.
 Windscreen Washers - Runfer D'Hills
Really? S'pose that's why you can ask for it to be done by hand is it?
:-0
 Windscreen Washers - R.P.
It was literally on one of the sites on Anglesey ! I did use the place (to lather my limo I hasten to add) until I found out.
Blimey. Sometimes I realise that I've actually lived a rather sheltered life. ( I'm pleased to say )

Edit - though on reflection, it's not a bad deal for a fiver I suppose...

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 6 Jul 18 at 10:03
>> Blimey. Sometimes I realise that I've actually lived a rather sheltered life.

Aye, About 4/6ths of a life.
Oh come now, I've had 6 cylinder cars, I've had 8 cylinder cars too, but then I grew up and embraced 21st century thinking...

;-)
>> Oh come now, I've had 6 cylinder cars, I've had 8 cylinder cars too, but
>> then I grew up got old and embraced 21st century thinking...
>>
>> ;-)
>>

There fixed that for you.
 Windscreen Washers - Bromptonaut
There always used to be one or more squeegee merchants at junction of Upper Woburn Place/Eversholt Street with Euston Road washing windscreens in hope of 50p. I think they'd gone before I stopped commuting in 2013 but as I'm 'down the smoke' tonight for a work reunion I'll see what goes now.

It's widely reported that many of car wash businesses set up on short term lets etc use trafficked labour and launder profits from other activities through the car wash. Similar issue with nail bars.
 Windscreen Washers - Roger.
>> >> What happened to the people who wanted to wash your windscreen when you stopped
>> at
>> >> traffic lights?
>>
>> Thank god they have, useless peeps they were. I used to put my washers and
>> wipers on to keep them at arms length.
>>

That's something you can thank Brexit for!
I guess they've gone back to Romania , Albania et al !
 Windscreen Washers - Lygonos
Unlikely as I seem to recall them being present before Romania joined, and Albania is still outside the EU.
 Windscreen Washers - helicopter
First screen washer , probably Albanian, I have seen for years was at the lights controlling the tunnel through the mountains at Topoli gorge in Crete a couple of weeks ago.

The road leads to Elafonisi beach and is used by hundreds of hire cars every day. I did not see anyone using his services though.

>> That's something you can thank Brexit for!
>> I guess they've gone back to Romania , Albania et al !

well I guess all those throw out of work at BMW, Jaguar, Vauxhall, and BAE will have something to pass their time while your pension is curtailed to pay their dole.
Latest Forum Posts