Motoring Discussion > EV becoming more mainstream? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 7

EV becoming more mainstream? - Crankcase
I'm out of the EV market now, for the moment anyway, but I keep an eye.

I'm sure you're all aware of the existing nightmare that is charging, with smaller companies being taken over regularly leaving the UK charging infrastructure unreliable, unpredictable and often plain broken over the past few years.

Well, the white knight that is BP has just spent 130 million quid on buying out Chargemaster. This now gives them a lot of charging posts and access to a lot of subscribers.

More importantly, the aim, they say, is to get "fast" and "ultra" chargers on BP forecourts, with the intention of "100 miles of range delivered in ten minutes".

Bit of a way to go before that happens, but at least it's credible, in due course. Ten minutes is enough to buy a coffee that tastes like diesel after all.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44640647

EV becoming more mainstream? - Old Navy
I hope the queues of EVs waiting to charge don't cause chaos when they back up onto the road.
 EV becoming more mainstream? - Zero

>> Bit of a way to go before that happens, but at least it's credible,

Is it. Is there forecourt room for all these cars and coffee taking 10 minutes. Will it be 10 minutes, it won't of course it will be 30 minute for 300 miles.

Even less credible on the coffee and forecourt front.
How long will it be until we get charger queue rage?
I was thinking more of the need for a fifty nine gigawatt pipe, and how that's easier on a petroleum forecourt where they already have enough electricity to light up a little sign wthi prices on. Rather than the posts currently round the back of the bike sheds, but with a less interesting reputation.

Anyway, ten minutes? It's not a universe different to filling an ICE, especially if extra wanton expenditure on inedible fripperies is involved.

Maybe the ultra charger will limit output to ten minutes only, or some such, who knows?

But at the moment, I'm happy to be back in a petrol car, though the poor old Volvo has snuffed it.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 30 Jun 18 at 18:28
The last time I was in a MSA, a rare occurrence, I avoid them, the two chargers were occupied and I wondered what the queueing arrangements and etiquette was. Not that it would matter much, it has been seen during fuel tanker drivers strikes when petrol stations run low how impatient some people can be.
 EV becoming more mainstream? - Zero
Whats happened to the Volvo?
Volvo. Ah. Sigh.

Geartronic became neartronic became feartronic became deartronic. Transmission failure. Chucked £400 of new fluid at it, no joy. Chopped it in.

Because it was a distress purchase and I needed something right this minute, I "had" to buy a n auto 2014 Ford Focus. With Powershift. Which failed in 24 hours.

However, dealer replaced transmission in the Ford under warranty and now it's all good. Titanium spec so you'd think it would be funky, but it all feels a bit low rent in comparison.

Ah well. Run it a couple of years I hope. Drives nicely, whatever that means, and been extremely chuffed and surprised with the mpg. We're happy.
Latest Forum Posts