Motoring Discussion > Transporting tanks Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 8

Transporting tanks - Rudedog
On holiday in a very hot Pembrokeshire, where we stay is on the boundaries of the Castlemartin artillery range, they usually are firing during the weekdays up until 4.30 pm.

Very loud even at a distance. The leaflets warning of the danger say they are the 'premiere' UK firing range for heavy tanks, fast fighting vehicles, fast jets and apache helicopters.

Driving around the lanes makes me wonder how they manage to get anything bigger than a tractor onto the base, outside they have a Chieftain and Leppard 2 tank so I guess they got there.
 Transporting tanks - sooty123
I'm not sure how many are down there, most are in storage or still out in Germany. The range in wales is a little small.
The tanks are transported using these en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Equipment_Transport_System

But I doubt too many are moved around that often, for reasons you found all too obvious!
 Transporting tanks - Duncan
Similarly (Discordant 'music')

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rojVjiA_ZVc
 Transporting tanks - Rudedog
Maybe they just fire the gun without the tank body?

Heavy machine guns can be heard miles away and the big guns make this double bank like a P***-boom sound, there also a boat out in one of the bays I guess stopping boats straying into the danger area.
 Transporting tanks - Zero
Its time we dumped tanks and mechanised artillery regiments. this is an island with a moat, for defence we need a navy and an airforce.
 Transporting tanks - Cliff Pope
>> this is an island with a
>> moat, for defence we need a navy and an airforce.
>>

I think experience shows that by the time the enemy reaches the other side of the moat, it's very nearly too late.
Even when castles and moats had their hay-day, people understood the principle of sallying forth to harry the enemy before he could concentrate his efforts against your ramparts.

And of supporting their allies who were generally much closer to the enemy.
 Transporting tanks - Zero
Think you will find that history is at odds with your theory, certainly when the moat is the channel

The Uk withdrawal from Europe, and the prospect of a second trump term is almost certainly the pre curser to the break up of Nato. Allies, we will have none.

A future European war will not be fought with tanks brigades and mobile artillery pieces rolling across the German plains or the Russian steps. It will be stand off, long range, technological and socio economic.

And anywhere further than Europe, war wise is none of our business. I strongly doubt we could now transport 5 main battle tanks to the Middle East, let alone 50.

British defence needs a complete strategic rethink, When reliance on oil reaches a negligible level that will be possible.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 29 Jun 18 at 10:56
 Transporting tanks - sooty123
The death of tanks has been said many times before. Don't hold your breath.
 Transporting tanks - Old Navy
We will need tanks while our politicians think we are still a world power. The new aircraft carriers could shift all our tanks in one go but getting them off and up a beach might be a problem, and an aircraft carrier is a big target.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 29 Jun 18 at 16:50
Latest Forum Posts