Motoring Discussion > Lexus - Replacing a Lexus Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 15

Lexus - Replacing a Lexus - legacylad
Advice times please folks.
One of my ex’s has an ‘03 IS SportCross, the 2.0 petrol, 6cyl 5 door hatch variety. Bought at 6 months old, never garaged, and probably only worth £1k on a good day. I still drive it occasionally, the build quality is fantastic, super smooth straight 6 and lovely 6sp manual box. She isn’t the most careful of drivers, so each corner, and most panels, have a small ding or scrape which doesn’t bother her in the slightest. She looks after both her own and her elderly parents large gardens so it’s used twice weekly on garden rubbish tip runs.....it cleans up amazingly well, both inside and out ( I do it sometimes as a favour) and the capacity is 345/1050 litres seats down. I’m informed today that’s it’s booked in at the local indie next Friday for welding, so I’ve stressed that she get a quote before any work is started....she’s ready to change if the cost of the work is prohibitive and not cost efficient.
The crux of the matter is she really likes the tactile feel of the car, and a cheaper interior wouldn’t be acceptable. She likes quality ( that’s why she married me)
The Lexus replacement must have 5 doors, a decent load volume, petrol and manual box. She simply won’t drive an auto. I’ve told her to try one until I’m blue in the face. Annual mileage about 5k, so mpg not an issue
Budget...it will be a cash purchase, preferably no more than a year or so old, maybe £15k. Maybe more. She paid almost £20K for the Lexus 15 years ago. Image isn’t in her lexicon, provided its well screwed together, no rattles, reliable and something to last another 15 years!
Q3, Vitara, 3 series tourer ?
Answers on a postcard please
 Lexus - Replacing a Lexus - R.P.
3 Series any day, either petrol six...as late as possible.
 Lexus - Replacing a Lexus - bathtub tom
There could be some good deals available on new models that won't be available after September due to Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP).
 Lexus - Replacing a Lexus - Zero

>> Budget...preferably no more than a year or so old,
>> maybe £15k.
>> Q3, 3 series tourer ?

You what? not sure which planet you are on, but down here they cost much more of your earth pounds.

Vitara? now that possible within budget
 Lexus - Replacing a Lexus - rtj70
You could lease a V90 for just over £200 a month for two years for example.

I would be surprised if a year old Q3 was in budget. 3 series tourer in budget ... yes but not a year old.
 Lexus - Replacing a Lexus - PeterS
Newest / cheapest three series I can find vaguely near budget and age is this one

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201806077249568

I had one of those Lexuses when we lived in Japan; well, it was called a Toyota Altezza there and mine was a saloon. It’s considerably smaller inside than a current three series! Size wise I’d have thought a VW Golf would be closer...

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803234868957
 Lexus - Replacing a Lexus - PeterS
Or, slightly left field, but they claim the boot’s360 litres with the seats up, and 1,250 with them down...

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201806217724710

I’m sure you could find better equipped ones if you looked!
 Lexus - Replacing a Lexus - Runfer D'Hills
Yeah, 3 series Touring. Might have to compromise on age, mileage or budget though.
 Lexus - Replacing a Lexus - sooty123
How about another lexus, a ct200? My bil had one, thought of very highly.
 Lexus - Replacing a Lexus - Duncan
>>
>> The crux of the matter is she really likes the tactile feel of the car,
>> and a cheaper interior wouldn’t be acceptable. She likes quality ( that’s why she divorced me)
>>

It's O.K. I fixed it for you.
Last edited by: Duncan on Sat 23 Jun 18 at 22:39
 Lexus - Replacing a Lexus - Mr Moo
Mazda 6 Sports Tourer petrol manual 'box? Not sure if that's premium enough, but it'd stand a good chance of giving reliable service for 15+ years.
 Lexus - Replacing a Lexus - rtj70
>> Mazda 6 Sports Tourer petrol manual 'box? good chance of giving reliable service for 15+ years.

I had a Mazda6 albeit one of the diesels with the DPF problem. Ingoring that the gearbox was an issue after 3.5 years. Not sure I would buy one because dealer was poor sorting issues.

And a petrol one was underpowered too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 24 Jun 18 at 01:30
Thanks for your suggestions. I was only guessing at her £15k budget, but know that she can afford more should the right vehicle come along. She likes her sunroof in the Lexus, especially when we have such clement weather.
Maybe a BM series 2 Active Tourer? Il have a cursory look at prices, try to find one with both manual box and sunroof, and should be able to carry lots of garden rubbish.
Thanks for fixing it for me Duncan.
 Lexus - Replacing a Lexus - Stuu
Subaru Forester? Don't know how much of one you would get for 15k but would prob last the distance and do come as petrol manual.
 Lexus - Replacing a Lexus - Slightlyfatdirector
Have a look at Motorpoint's website. On the front page click on estates, petrol and manual and then list the 140+ results from high to low value. Some nice options there with Audi A4 estates at about £16.5k, but other food for thought too. There is a Q3 r two, but a bit pricier.

I guess the other car supermarkets would have a similar search method.

Might find some inspiration?

I used a similar method to try and find out what car my wife wanted to replace her Eos with.

Happy hunting!

Thanks. I’ll use that facility on the Motorpoint website
Apparently her Lexus is booked in next Friday ( 06/07/18) not last Friday.
WBAC valuation £245, Evans Halshaw £598.
Personally I wouldn’t bother spending any more money on it, but she is ‘attached’ to her Lexus after 15 years.
Latest Forum Posts