Motoring Discussion > Ford being left behind? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cpt. Flack Replies: 29

Ford being left behind? - Cpt. Flack
With 7 and 5 year warranties commonplace and now Vauxhall offering a "lifetime" warranty, isn't Fords 3 year offering a bit mean and outdated.

So all I can expect is that Ford must have some kind of similar schemes in the offing. Does anyone on here know if they have or when they intend to come to the party?
 Ford being left behind? - John H
Chevrolet UK are offering a 5 year promise across their entire range.
The Chevrolet 5 Year Promise is made up of the following elements:
1. 5 Years Warranty
2. 5 Years MOT Test Warranty
3. 5 Years Free Servicing
4. 5 Years Health Check
5. 5 Years Roadside Assistance
 Ford being left behind? - a900ss
>> Chevrolet UK are offering a 5 year promise across their entire range.
>> The Chevrolet 5 Year Promise is made up of the following elements:
>> 1. 5 Years Warranty
>> 2. 5 Years MOT Test Warranty
>> 3. 5 Years Free Servicing
>> 4. 5 Years Health Check
>> 5. 5 Years Roadside Assistance
>>
>>

The only downside is 5 years driving a Chevrolet.....
 Ford being left behind? - jc2
I thought Chevrolet UK were Vauxhall!!!
 Ford being left behind? - WillDeBeest
Other things being equal, others might be leaving Ford behind. But other things aren't: would I prefer a Focus or an Astra? A Mondeo or an Insignia? An S-Max or a, erm...? GM's marketing people have realized they have a serious desirability problem in a flat market; they can't fix the product, so they offer finance packages and warranties as sweeteners to tempt buyers into showrooms.
Won't work on me, I'm afraid.
 Ford being left behind? - PR
Vauxhall / Opel warranty covers 100,000 miles only. The German equivalent of trading standards is threatening them with legal action over the "lifetime" quote.
 Ford being left behind? - a900ss
Also with the Vauxhall warranty, I beleive it is not transferable to future owners. (Might be wrong though but that's why they call it 'lifetime' as in whilst you own it)

How many Vx's are sold to private motorists keeping their cars 5 years plus? NOt many I'd have thought. A typical Vx purchase I'm guessing is a lease company to pass on as a company car who won't get this warranty anyway but will get rock bottom prices. Same applies to Ford.

Typical cost/worth equation.

Costs the manufacturers hardly anything anything at all as few people quality but the worth is great as lots of people think it's a great deal (even though they never enter into the contract it enhances the reputation of the brand)
 Ford being left behind? - DP
>> A Mondeo or an Insignia?

Actually, even as a lifelong Ford fan, that one would give me a sleepless night or two. I am very impressed with the Insignia. Drove a 2.0 CDTi 160 Elite the other day and found very little to criticise, to be honest. Can't comment on ultimate dynamics as I didn't push it, but what I can say is it was lively, well specced, beautifully finished, looked good, rode well, seemed to handle and steer nicely, and had a fantastic spec.

I suspect this is one model that is as genuinely good as the equivalent Ford.

I take the wider point you're making though, and I do agree with you. But the Insignia is a very decent car.
 Ford being left behind? - Stuu
Long warranties are to attract private money rather than fleet, so maybe Vauxhall thinks they can get a slice of whatever Hyundai/Kia are getting from that part of the market. I dont know if theres much money in it, but id assume Vauxhall have costed their schemes so maybe there is, a company that big doesnt make a big move like that without just cause.
 Ford being left behind? - Iffy
They're well up to speed when it comes to invoicing:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=2571
 Ford being left behind? - Marc
"Long warranties are to attract private money rather than fleet, so maybe Vauxhall thinks they can get a slice of whatever Hyundai/Kia are getting from that part of the market"

Agreed. That's exactly what I thought when I saw this new USP.

It wouldn't attract me though, the second to last Ford and current Vauxhall I bought were both 'nearly new' with the expected considerable savings over new/list price - worth much more than an extended warranty to me.
 Ford being left behind? - Bellboy
a warranty is only as good as the words in the small print
you only use a warranty if you buy a bad one or the product is inherently a lemon
ford will join the bandwagon when it feels it needs to and rightly so in my opinion
 Ford being left behind? - corax
>> I suspect this is one model that is as genuinely good as the equivalent Ford.

Have you driven the new Mondeo though? Drive the Insignia in isolation, and it probably would be impressive, but Ford always seem one step ahead in chassis terms.
 Ford being left behind? - Falkirk Bairn

>>
>> Have you driven the new Mondeo though? Drive the Insignia in isolation, and it probably
>> would be impressive, but Ford always seem one step ahead in chassis terms.
>>
Do you mean a current Mondeo or a NEW Mondeo?
revealed in Moscow - Available September onwards

tinyurl.com/25w7fgp
 Ford being left behind? - corax
>> Do you mean a current Mondeo or a NEW Mondeo?
>> revealed in Moscow - Available September onwards
>>
>> tinyurl.com/25w7fgp

I mean a current Mondeo, and a new Mondeo, if that makes sense. I can't keep up with all these facelifts. What was wrong with the previous one? And if this one is so much better why didn't they do that in the first place? :-)
 Ford being left behind? - Zhukov
The facelift has improved the looks somewhat, however to me the Insignia is still better looking.

Likewise the dash has been improved on the Mondeo with the dropping of the naff plastic silver heater control / stereo bit (only the silver steering wheel radio controls to go Ford and you will come into 2010) but again the inside of the Insignia looks better to me.

I am sure the Mondeo is the better drive (I have not driven an Insignia) so in that respect Ford have the top trump in one key area.

However having the best handling in the class is not the be all and end all of things so I would agree with the initial post.

Fords are a wee bit "me too" at the moment.

They will surely bring out a better warranty.
Last edited by: Zhukov on Thu 26 Aug 10 at 20:47
 Ford being left behind? - Victorbox

>> I prefer a Focus or an Astra? A Mondeo or an Insignia? An S-Max or
>> a, erm...?

Easy - give me the Vauxhall option every. Judging by the fact the new Astra is topping the UK Top 10 list and the Insignia makes the same list unlike the Mondeo, others must agree - and that was before the new warranty.
 Ford being left behind? - L'escargot
>> With 7 and 5 year warranties commonplace and now Vauxhall offering a "lifetime" warranty, isn't
>> Fords 3 year offering a bit mean and outdated.

You have to compare the terms of the warranties, not just the nominal time lengths.
"Why do manufacturers have regular facelifts?"

Because there is a large number of customers,not just for Fords,who MUST be seen in the latest car.
 Ford being left behind? - Buddy
by whom exactly (on their sad reckoning)?
 Ford being left behind? - movilogo
So how it stands at present -

Kia [7 yr/100k]
Hyundai [5 yr/unlimited]
Toyota [5 yr/unlimited?]
Daihatsu [5 yr/unlimited?]
Vauxhall [lifetime for 1st owner/100k]
Chevrolet [5 yr/??]

I'm surprised that not a German manufacturer dared to offer 5-yr warranty yet!

It also intrigued me why other Japanese brands, like Suzuki, Lexus, Subaru, are yet to extend warranty to 5-yr inspite of their cars being very reliable.
I thought MB(DB elsewhere) offered an open-ended one to the first owner as long as it was dealer serviced.
 Ford being left behind? - L'escargot
The cost of the warranty is factored into the manufacturer's recomended selling price of the car. You get what you pay for. You don't get owt for nowt.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 27 Aug 10 at 09:30
 Ford being left behind? - Fenlander
A think the rise from the 1yr warranty of years gone by to 3yrs was useful... a warranty of any longer than 3yrs has no appeal to me and would not sway my decision when buying new or used.
 Ford being left behind? - movilogo
>> would not sway my decision when buying new or used

Longer warranty will affect resale value of the car, which in turn may affect your decision.

Ford being left behind? - Fenlander
No it wouldn't in the slightest affect my thoughts.

Anyway are the owners in years 3 through 7/10 going to keep up the main dealer services to keep the warranty intact... doubt it.
 Ford being left behind? - mattbod
If you read the small print a lot of these warranties are not worth the paper they are written on after a few years. I would not buy a car based on warranty but quality, spec and performance. The only thing that puts me off Fords is their somewhat dated engine technology but all that is set to change in the next year or so with the new ecoboost lumps anyway.
 Ford being left behind? - Auristocrat
Autocar, this week gave details on the how the various warranties are made up (although I know they were wrong as regards Mazda and Toyota - whose info I got from their websites):
Ford, Vauxhall - 1 yr unlimited mileage factory, 2 yr 60,000 miles dealer network
VW, Peugeot, Citroen, Audi, Renault, Fiat, Skoda, - 2 yrs unlimited mileage factory, 1 yr 60,000 mile dealer network
Mazda, Nissan, BMW, Mini, Landrover, Volvo - 3 yr 60,000 mile factory warranty
Honda - 3 yr 90,000 mile factory warranty
Toyota - 5yr 100,000 mile factory warranty
Hyundai - 5 yr unlimited mileage factory warranty
Kia - 3 yr unlimited mileage factory, 4 yr 100,000 mile dealer network

As regards keeping cars for longer than 3 yrs, we are keeping our 2007 Mazda 2 and have bought a two yr Mazda extended warranty incl breakdown, recovery, etc for £ 525. It will also be covered by free Mazda MOT insurance for next yr.
Two reasons we bought an extended warranty:
1) our previous Mazda Premacy was kept for just under four years. At 3 yrs 8 mths the drivers airbag module was replaced under the extended warranty - just the part cost £ 750 back in 2007.
2). MOT insurance. Back in the 90's we had a new Honda Concerto, whose extended warranty incl MOT Insurance. The car failed its first MOT on the suspension bushes and we were quoted £ 175 by the Honda dealer for replacement - this was back in 1997. This was covered by the MOT insurance, and all we paid out was the £ 10 excess.

Ford being left behind? - Skip
The Kia warranty is a 7 year manufacturers one according to their website.
 Ford being left behind? - Auristocrat
Yes that's probably right for Kia.
The info for the other makers is I think correct now.
Although I've been a reader for just over 40 years, Autocar appear to be heading on a downward spiral, and have dropped behind others in the accuracy of their info (competitors like Auto Express).
Remember earlier this year they had a first drive of the revised Toyota Yaris with the 1.33 engine, six speed gearbox and stop.start styem. They described the previous 1.3 engine, and made no mention of the gearbox or stop/start system.
I did write in but got nowhere.
Latest Forum Posts