Motoring Discussion > New Car Thread - My Turn Buying / Selling
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 15

New Car Thread - My Turn - nice but dim
I'm looking to replace my (to date) trusty 07 Corolla diesel within the next 6 months.

Why, well in the last 4 years and 80k miles it hasnt purposely sprung any suprise bills except minor maintenance. On the flip side of that most of the major mechanical components (clutch/DMF, exhaust, all suspension compenents are now 11 years and 150,000 miles old and the combined cost/inconvience and risk of them going in due course and led me to look for a newer model. It has been a affordable car to run.

Having set a search and price criteria, diesel (possibly petrol if decent economy, 50k miles and mid size hatch) there isnt much that floats my boat. Budget wise, I can comfortably go for 6k + my trade in say £500. Mileage has averaged 20k for the last 4 years getting an real world 50 mpg.

I like the 2013 on Cee'd but actually prefer the previous Cee'd to that.

Just as a starting point, is there any good/bad wisdom of buying a 6 year old Kia which is almost out of warranty?

Not in any particular rush to buy.
 New Car Thread - My Turn - Lygonos
That's like replacing a 10yr old washing machine because it is 10 years old.

None of the things you mention as possible future fails cause instant car death and you know there is no guarantee a 'new' 50k miler car will be less trouble.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 24 Apr 18 at 07:14
Appreciate the opinions coming forth.

Just at the initial stages of thoughts at the moment and while yes there is life in it yet, it won't last forever.

I've had a good run of luck with it so far, part of that is because nothing has really failed on it yet.

It is a daily driver and like most buying a different car is pot luck, had the same thoughts when getting this one at 7 years old and just shy of 70k miles. Turned out to be a good un.

probably only imminent failure at present is the clutch and DMF, all original still it has been slipping occasionally and take up is a bit lumpy - has been so for the last 10k or so.

Longer term I probably need a bit more boot space, growing daughter now wants to take her bike everywhere and the Corolla's boot is a bit of a squeeze, occasionally have to drop half the seat.

Nothing appeals yet in the initial search.

New Car Thread - My Turn - Duncan
I would keep it.

Run it into the ground, comes to mind.

I/we have two cars, a Toyota 16 years old, a Mercedes 10 years old. Unless we have to, i don't see us replacing either of them, any time soon.
 New Car Thread - My Turn - legacylad
Previous generation Honda Civic estate? The 1.6 diesel is supposed to be very reliable and frugal, and masses of interior space. With that budget you’d need to be buying privately and making a cheeky offer, plus hens teeth territory, but opting for the hatch gives much more choice and I think the petrols are pretty decent too.
 New Car Thread - My Turn - Zero
Its estate car time, a proven bombproof Honda accord.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802223958670?

New Car Thread - My Turn - smokie
I've got a hire car in Portugal at the moment, it's a nearly new Astra estate. First estate I've ever really driven and I'm quite warming to the idea. This one is a diesel though, and an Astra, but both of those can be avoided if necessary. (although it's serving our purpose perfectly).

Of course it has a gear stick, which is a bit tedious, and which is on the wrong side, and it is six speed but so far I've only needed four of them ('avoid toll roads')
 New Car Thread - My Turn - Zero
The gear stick is not on the wrong side, there is no "side" in middle, Its you that's offside.
 New Car Thread - My Turn - BiggerBadderDave
"Of course it has a gear stick, which is a bit tedious, and which is on the wrong side"

You could always reverse everywhere.
 New Car Thread - My Turn - VxFan
He's finding the gearstick tedious as his usual car is a hybrid ;)
 New Car Thread - My Turn - Fenlander
If you have a size needed added to not wanting to get involved with replacing the clutch then a good time to move on. Make sure you go to a 2011 or newer if possible otherwise you will be slipping backwards by the time you've had the replacement car 4yrs.

Most 2011 on cars perform well and are well equipped... the choice is massive. Most Japanese a safer bet then other makes... Ford/Vauxhall in the middle... Korean mostly good but a personal choice... but don't go for Mercedes/BMW or anything weird.
 New Car Thread - My Turn - Runfer D'Hills
You could be close to a new, or perhaps nearly new, Dacia somethingorother with your budget, if they appeal. They do an estate too I think.

Given your good experience with Toyota, an Avensis estate might be worth checking out?
 New Car Thread - My Turn - Fenlander
>>>perhaps nearly new, Dacia somethingorother

Remember my post above... nothing weird.
Funny you say that about Avensis, I have been using my Dad's Avensis estate and have it currently for the rest of this week - whilst they are away. 58 2.0 diesel 95k miles, not a bad car actually and the only thing that has failed was the EGR (a removal and clean cured it) which is due to his local driving pattern. Offered to keep it at home in view and clear out his DPF on my daily motorway run! Being a 6 speeder certainly makes it more relaxing on the motorway though looks to be a bit thirstier if the readout is what it showing 44mpg vs mid 50's on mine. Guess it needs to be reset to get a rough figure.

Might make him a cheeky £2k offer + mine. Depends if he needs a change and has decided to give up golfing is why he has an estate. It replaced an equally as good Octavia estate and had it about 3 years.
 New Car Thread - My Turn - Runfer D'Hills
Buying your dad's car might well be a good move, but selling him yours with a dodgy clutch?

He might ( rightly ) think of an alternative use for one of his golf clubs if you do that !

;-)
If he can catch me with his dodgy knees! It would only work if he was ready for a change and was to trade mine in + the 2k to another car.
Latest Forum Posts