Motoring Discussion > Ford Focus - Should I consider buying this car
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 7

Ford Focus - Should I consider buying this car - wotspur
A recently departed car has been offered to me by his wife
It’s a 1397 08 car with Just 17,000 miles ,as he was retired and only made short journeys.
Initially I hope it wou,d be about 1k , but with the low mileage it’s been checked on various outlets to be 21-2400.
It’s a starter car for my soon to be 17 yr old , as a starter car .
Typically it’s been well looked after by the old boy, but my slight concern is the low mileage, and being short journeys .
I was thinking of offering 1750 , any thoughts
 Ford Focus - Should I consider buying this car - rtj70
What will the insurance on a 1.4 Focus be for a 17 year old? Might make it too expensive to insure compared to other cars.

17,000 miles in9+ years sound low.... might need some work to fix worn out bits.
 Ford Focus - Should I consider buying this car - wotspur
I haven’t checked the insurance with my current provider, but I did a web site check and was surprised, pleasantly, that I had quotes back from as little as 490 , right up to 3,500.
I’ll check with my provider first . Initially it’ll be on my insurance , which I’ll do 3rd party , then when he passes I’ll add him , but will obviously,y be checking the prices first on that basis
My main concern was , potentially what problems can a low mileage car develope , or is that a problem with cars 20 yrs ago
 Ford Focus - Should I consider buying this car - Zero
at just under 2 grand the price is reasonable, you'll need to budget for a new exhaust at some time soon and when was the cam belt last changed.
 Ford Focus - Should I consider buying this car - smokie
We had an 06 Focus in the family till earlier this year. Bought it at about a year old. It didn't do huge mileages in many years any miles and we had very few problems. It was a L spec so a bit low on extras, but it was my daily drive for it's last couple of years and I actually grew to quite like it, and enjoyed not fretting over getting scratches and scrapes, or putting the rubbish in it to take to the tip and of course having steel wheels and thereby cheaper tyres.

Didn't seem to bad to get serviced by my "little man", and other repairs always seemed quite reasonable.

I sometimes wish I'd kept it. I almost definitely sold it way too cheap but at least it went quickly.

Ford Focus - Should I consider buying this car - Fenlander
Sort of as others say above...

Consider an exhaust and discs may be needed sooner rather than later but they're consumables so no issue there. I think the timing belt interval on those is 100k or 8/10yrs so I'd have it done immediately if no record of a change.

If tyres original check closely for cracking in between tread and on sidewalls (inc the normally unseen inners).

I'd check the MOT history online to see that it hasn't previously failed on emissions. Also check that it has been oil change serviced ideally yearly or two yearly at worse.

Make sure it's not burning oil (smoke/smell) as bore wear is a possibility.

I'd offer £1500 for the specific reason you will immediately need to do the timing belt (assuming not done recently). If it has been done then it will likely be a far better car at £1750 than you'll find in any small dealer up to £3k.

Ford Focus - Should I consider buying this car - No FM2R
I don't think you'll get better advice than Fenlander has given. Though I would say that I would be prepared to pay a little more than he recommends simply because you know it's history.

I'd add £300 or £400 on top of Fenlander's figures just for that.
 Ford Focus - Should I consider buying this car - Fenlander
Yes that's a fair point.. there is a value to knowing the car and the convenience of not having to trawl round £2k cars looking at a load of tat wondering why they are being sold.

And in truth if it got in a dealer's hands it would probably have a £500 price premium over normal retail due to that low mileage... with "rare low mileage" being a major sales pitch.
Latest Forum Posts