Motoring Discussion > New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 24

New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - Badwolf
uk.cars.yahoo.com/21082010/36/t/mercedes-benz-reveals-stylish-new-cls-0.html

Want one. Now.
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - WillDeBeest
Is 'hubba hubba' good? Don't fancy that myself. It seems to take the original CLS shape (which hasn't dated well, in my view) and graft on the overstyled grille from the C and the nasty rear arches from the S. And those mirrors? Did they run out of design budget and have to borrow some from Toyota?

I'd rather (and imagine me even thinking this in the days of the S-type) have a Jaguar.
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - madf
Brutal heavy handed and ugly .. is what it says to me..

New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - corax
>> Brutal heavy handed and ugly .. is what it says to me..

Yes, and vulgar. That crease down the side is not needed, I don't like the way it curves down torwards the back. I suppose it would appeal to 'get out of my way' types.
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - Kevin
>Did they run out of design budget and have to borrow some from Toyota?

The bonnet and grille look like they came from a Dodge.

Kevin...
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - Skoda
>> The bonnet and grille look like they came from a Dodge.

There's a merc designer somewhere, stocking up on paracetamol pills now ;-)
Last edited by: CraigP on Mon 23 Aug 10 at 19:38
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - ....
Chris Bangle has resurfaced :)
Not sure about hubba hubba more chubba chubba.
Oh. I quite like it. Does that make me vulgar?
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - -
The previous model looked like hell, and they've chucked Accord wings and Insignia tail lights on presumably a valiant effort to make it truly hideous, it worked.
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - ....
No Badwolf, it's what you like. I loved the shape of the original car it looked just right to me but this update looks like it's put a few pounds on in the wrong places to me.
Last edited by: gmac on Mon 23 Aug 10 at 22:46
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - Bagpuss
Seen a few of these running around in barely disguised form in Stuttgart. Not quite as hideous in the metal as in the pictures but nowhere near as nice as the present model.
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - tyro
I remember the first time I actually noticed a CLS. It was white, and I thought it looked stunning - which is significant, because the CLS is not really a tyro sort of car. The one thing that stopped me actually wanting it was the headlights, which I think look rather odd. Had the headlights been like those of the W211 E-Class (and, remember, the CLS is based on the W211 platform) it would have, IMHO, looked a lot better.

Judging by the pictures, the new CLS doesn't look as nice as the old one, which is hardly surprising, since I think that the front end of the new E-class (the W212) is utterly hideous.
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - BiggerBadderDave
I like it too, I think it looks great.
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - Runfer D'Hills
This is pleasing enough......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncCKemPij2w&feature=player_embedded
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - Mike Hannon
What exactly DOES 'hubba hubba' mean?
I know I've been away for a while...

I think the original CLS was butt ugly, me. And this one's worse. Rover made an attractive version of a 4-door saloon by lowering the rear roof line in the P5/B, so it can be done and there's nothing new.
In the light of what is being said on another thread, it would be interesting to compare the size of the P5B (1968, 4 seater, 3.5 litre) with the new CLS.
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - tyro
"What exactly DOES 'hubba hubba' mean?"

I first encountered the phrase in 1972. A gent that I knew who had been a colonel in the US army used it frequently. When he used it, it meant "hurry up."
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hubba-hubba

According to the fellow who posted definition number 5, I should be flogged and fined. He's probably right..
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - Boxsterboy
I really liked the first CLS, but don't like this at all. Far too fussy and trans-atlantic.
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - DP
I'm really not sure about the new Mercedes grille/nose treatment. A colleague has a 6 month old C320 CDI and it's a very attractive looker, apart from head on. The grille is almost comically large, a bit like one of those Dodge Ram pickups.
Love the current CLS though. Especially in black.
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - rtj70
I think the Passat CC executed a better look for such a car.... and the A5 Sportback is better still.

So I'll probably get a Skoda then ;-) Or a 5 series BMW.
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - MrTee43
Except he's going the wrong way !
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - borasport
>> Oh. I quite like it. Does that make me vulgar?
>>

Given that your normal drive is a bus, I'm sure most things look better ;-)

Still after holiday advice ?

Don't come to Cheddar - we arrived last sunday, and i think it's not stopped raining since monday - still, we've discovered Thatchers' Katy Rose Cider - very (hic) drinkable...
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - rtj70
>> we've discovered Thatchers' Katy Rose Cider

Available in the supermarkets everywhere - tip for when you get back.
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - Alastairw
Borasport, try the New Inn at Priddy (very close to The Gorge). They have their own brew cider called (i think) Innkeepers. Very palatable, and the food was good too.

Bed and breakfast for me and the two kids only set me back £60 - bargain or what?
 New Merc CLS - hubba, hubba! - Mike Hannon
Stan Thatcher a business magnate? I really have been away a long time...
Latest Forum Posts