Motoring Discussion > FIAT Punto II - How much is it worth? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 28

FIAT Punto II - How much is it worth? - Badwolf
Good morning all,

My step-daughter has bought a new car and wants to sell her old Punto. I'm going to put it on eBay for her, but I'd be very grateful if any of you 'in the know' could give me some idea of what we can realistically get for it please.

It's a 2001 'Y' reg 1.2 ELX five door in light blue with 42,000 miles. It's a Category 'D' write-off, but we don't know why or when. The car, however, is in fairly good nick and drives fine. The bonnet could do with a respray as there are scratches and a couple of shallow dents on it. There are scratches on the front and rear bumpers also. The interior is in very good condition. Mechanically, it's grand. The brake warning light comes on very very occasionally when cornering, but there is no issure with the brake fluid level - dodgy connection? The intermittent setting on the wipers doesn't work properly either but the other two work fine.

I've had a quick look on eBay and traders are asking for £1200 plus for mint examples with more miles, but I don't want to be put an unrealistically high reserve on it.

Any help and assistance would be very gratefully received and will be rewarded with a virtual pint :-)

Cheers.
Last edited by: Badwolf on Mon 23 Aug 10 at 10:47
 FIAT Punto II - How much is it worth? - Fenlander
Why would you put a reserve on it if you want it sold? Ebay is a huge marketplace and it will find a true value on there. I've seen similar age straight Puntos around here at £600 on driveways... add in the Cat D plus tatty paint bits and where are you.... £350-£450???
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 23 Aug 10 at 10:57
I'd probably put it on as a classified ad to be honest - auctions are a bit too much hassle. Or start an auction, but put a 'buy it now' on. Oh, I dunno....

I'm not entirely sure why she didn't part-ex it, but like her mother she does some rather inexplicable things sometimes* :-)

She just wants rid of it now, especially as her insurance expires at midnight tonight!

*Neither Mrs B nor my step-daughter look at this forum so I feel safe saying that...
I'm a big Ebay user for all sorts of stuff Badwolf. Auction is the way to go with this as it's very hard to value for a classified price and you may well get more than it's *true* value that way.

My last 10 items sold on Ebay total over £3000.... about £1000 more than the prices I'd expected.

There's a buyer for everything on Ebay. Look at Stu's experience.
Thanks for that, Fenlander. I've always gone down the auction route before so I'll probably stick with that. I'll also put a classified ad on here. Well, you never know. Stu might want another car... :-)
 FIAT Punto II - How much is it worth? - DP
It takes courage, but a no reserve auction is the way to go.

I advertised my Mondeo at a starting price of 99p and no reserve. Made far more than I was expecting, and more than I think I would have expected to get for it through an Autotrader ad.
 FIAT Punto II - How much is it worth? - Bellboy
so to summarise
8 weeks mot
8 weeks road tax
cat d
bonnet been sat on by an elephant
and no log book
:-)
buyerbeware.direct.gov.uk/index.html
>> so to summarise
>> 8 weeks mot
>> 8 weeks road tax
>> cat d
>> bonnet been sat on by an elephant
>> and no log book
>> :-)
>> buyerbeware.direct.gov.uk/index.html
>>
Fair points, bellboy. Don't really see how 8 weeks road tax can be seen as dodgy though. And it was a very small elephant. As far as the log book goes, I have seen it so it does exist. I can see, however, that a prospective buyer may see that as less than desirable.

Cat D doesn't have the stigma that it used to does it? It surely only refers to a car that was uneconomical to repair, as far as I know.
 FIAT Punto II - How much is it worth? - bathtub tom
I'd suggest ebay with no reserve. It may be worth getting a new MOT.

It's unfortunate it's not insured. If anyone wants a test drive you'll have to make sure they've got cover and risk being pulled by BIB.

Give it the clean and polish of its life. Thoroughly vacuum the inside and quick once-over the engine bay. Don't paint the tyres or use any shiny stuff on engine bay or interior, it makes it look like you're a dealer. Take any photo's while there's cloud over the sun.

Anything else Bb?
 FIAT Punto II - How much is it worth? - RattleandSmoke
Well I got nearly £300 for a 1999 V Corsa with a blown head gasket, no MOT, no tax and with 83k on the clock. But the car did look stunning couple of minor scratches but other than that it looked as new.

Puntos loose their value quicker than Corsas though due to the FIAT thing :(. I've seen MK2 Puntos go for £600 when the same age Corsa would have sold for £1200. For this reason I am inclinded to say it would be worth £350-£400 but it depends where you are too. In the middle of Manchester or Birmingham it would be worth a couple of hundered pounds more than if it was in the remote parts of Scotland or the Welsh valleys.
I'd not worry about giving test drives.

My experience of high value items (cars, 4x4s, trailers, tractors, farm eqpt, antiques and hi-fi up to £6500) sold on EBay is that the winning bidders are never the ones that have viewed. The few viewers I've had seem to be after a day out. The truly good confident buyers bid in the last 30secs and the first time you meet them is when they collect.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 23 Aug 10 at 12:35
It may be worth trying webuyanycar.com :). I've sold four cars privately and its always a lot of hassle. The main cause of hassle is the buyers often pretend to be private buyers and then they arrive in a big tow truck with their name written on it.
Anything else Bb?
>>>>>yep wait till log book comes
get local garage to fully mot it
sell it in autotrader £999
>>>I've sold four cars privately and its always a lot of hassle. The main cause of hassle is the buyers often pretend to be private buyers and then they arrive in a big tow truck with their name written on it.

And if they have the cash does it matter?
Thanks, bb :-)

She's had an offer from the bloke she bought it off of £600, cash waiting. That'll cover the year's insurance on her new car and she will probably bite his hand off. It'd save faffing about waiting for the logbook, polishing, valeting and MoT'ing it. I'd rather she got more for it, but like I said earlier she's prone to doing peculiar things...
I would say £600 is a very good offer for a 9 year old CAT D punto with no MOT :). The CAT D will effect its used value no even if it was written off for something so simple as a smashed head light.

A for traders it dosn't really matter but some of them can be quite bulying.
we like stuff like this in the trade Badwolf
kick em when they are down offer peanuts and the offer of £600 will turn out to be 5 when he turns up holding folding.
he will turn it into £999 for an mot and its over there if you are interested,came off a local girl it did,i bought it off the main dealer she chopped it in at,sorry cant do it cheaper 500,000 cars went in scrappage you know.........................
 FIAT Punto II - How much is it worth? - Roger.
Snatch his hand off - he's a loony!
 FIAT Punto II - How much is it worth? - Roger.
Scrapper!
 FIAT Punto II - How much is it worth? - Chas
Sounds like it might have sold the car but the brake warning light will be the brake fluid level. You can only check the level properly by taking the plastic gauze filter out after removing the cap. Got caught out by this on my wife's Punto of the same vintage.

HTH
Thanks for that, Chas. I'll have a gander at it when she gets back. It's not a done deal yet, but what headstrong 22 year old girl ever listens to her Dad...? :-)
>>>he will turn it into £999 for an mot and its over there if you are interested,came off a local girl it did,i bought it off the main dealer she chopped it in at,sorry cant do it cheaper 500,000 cars went in scrappage you know....

Ha that's why in my 20yrs of advising folks on buying/selling I've always said never buy from a trader much under £2000. The profit element paying for their holiday in Spain (just for a quick wash and mate's MOT) is just too big a proportion of the value.

BTW Badwolf £600 is an amazing offer for a no effort, no strings sale.... take it quick.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 23 Aug 10 at 13:06
Fair enough, Fenlander, I will. You're right - no hassle from our point of view and she's already said to me that the least she'll take is £500.

Marvellous - job done.

Thanks for all your input folks.
Well if that all goes wrong and she dosn't get £500 it will make a good shed for several years for storage :).
>> Well if that all goes wrong and she dosn't get £500 it will make a
>> good shed for several years for storage :).

Several years? You sure, Rats? It is built from Italian tin, after all... :-)
It will be best type of tin :) FIATs never rust since about 1987.

The main issue is the market still has it in for FIAT which affects used values. If FIATs held their value there would probably be a lot of Tipos etc still on the road.
Ha that's why in my 20yrs of advising folks on buying/selling I've always said never buy from a trader much under £2000. The profit element paying for their holiday in Spain (just for a quick wash and mate's MOT) is just too big a proportion of the value.

>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>..i only go to spain in march though :-(

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v61KA0jN1Ng&feature=related
>>>>>>>>>>..i only go to spain in march though :-( www.youtube.com/watch?v=v61KA0jN1Ng&feature=related

The Stranglers soundtrack.... excellent.

Glad to see the Mrs bought a few treats back from Lidl.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 23 Aug 10 at 14:10
oi
fandabby duissy tastic
..............give it some..............
Latest Forum Posts