Motoring Discussion > Car Park Fire In Liverpool Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 113

Car Park Fire In Liverpool - zippy
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-42529615

I was there week before last for my Christmas do. I got the train but some colleagues used that car park.

Wouldn't want to be the owner of the car blamed for it all!

Luckily no one was hurt. Makes you wonder what would happen if the place was packed just after a concert perhaps or at one of the major shopping centres (Merry Hill, Metro Centre, Lakeside, Bluewater etc.) with people coming and going all of the time! I suspect there is the real potential for casualties.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - rtj70
>> Wouldn't want to be the owner of the car blamed for it all!

I wonder if they can tell which car started it? And would the other insurers then claim off that owner's?

It is very lucky nobody or any living thing in a car was hurt or killed. We trust our car is safe in a car park and this really makes you think.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - R.P.
Used it numerous times for gigs etc. A recipe for disaster - open floors with a gusts of wind to feed the fire - cars parked closely together. There are escape doors - but imagine being on the top floors and trying to escape at a peak pedestrian time

CCTV'd to death - no doubt the car that "started it" (calm down, calm down) will be on video.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 1 Jan 18 at 11:11
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - CGNorwich
I doubt whether it would be possible to sustain a negligence claim against the owner of the car which originated the fire. If it was possible the third party property damage limit (typically £5M for a private car) would come into play.

Individual Insurers like Aviva could end up with dozens if not hundreds of individual claims and the major proportion of those aggregated claims will be met by the Excess Loss Reinsurance market.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Robin O'Reliant
1400 cars in one hit. That must be a record, surely?
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Falkirk Bairn
DT Article
Sue Wright, wife of former England footballer Mark, told the Mail Online that she witnessed the start of the blaze and said it was sparked by an engine fire in a Land Rover.

"It was an old car that exploded as we were leaving the building. We were in our minibus and one of the kids shouted, 'there's a fire!"'

She added: "We've lost everything because our car was right next to the car that exploded. My handbag was in it, our cards, cash, everything. We just grabbed the keys and ran."

Known car & liability for other cars, out of pocket expenses, car hire, repair /demolition/rebuild of the building............

1500 cars @ £15K average claim = £22.5million alone
Building cost?

Overall a lot less than Jaguar fire in China, Aug 2015, when 6,000 new cars went on fire £250million claim against the chemical plant that blew up.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Runfer D'Hills
Could be a good time to be a car dealer in Liverpool though. Fair bit of local demand all of a sudden.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 1 Jan 18 at 12:17
>>Demolition, rebuild

Add loss of profits, hire car claims, travel claims, hotels etc.

I guess everyone had a couple of grand worth of kit / cash in their cars as well!?

A designer hand bag or two?

Must says, it is a real relief that no one was seriously hurt - really good news!
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Duncan
>> Add loss of profits, hire car claims, travel claims, hotels etc.
>>
>> I guess everyone had a couple of grand worth of kit / cash in their
>> cars as well!?
>>
>> A designer hand bag or two?

Most of the people who will have suffered a loss will, presumably, be Scousers.

Scousers would not dream of claiming anything other than a genuine loss.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Falkirk Bairn
>>Most of the people who will have suffered a loss will, presumably, be Scousers.

It was a horse show! - how many scousers have a horse?
Backing horses is one thing but keeping & feeding one is hard work & megabucks - not attractive to scousers.

"Horsey set "will have come from all over the UK in all probability.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Bobby
>>"It was an old car that exploded as we were leaving the building. We were in our minibus and one of the kids shouted, 'there's a fire!"'

She added: "We've lost everything because our car was right next to the car that exploded. My handbag was in it, our cards, cash, everything. We just grabbed the keys and ran."

So she was already in the minibus having left everything in her car in a car park? This statement just doesn't make sense does it?
Views of the car park are on Sky news.

There are a few cars on the roof level that appear unscathed.

The concrete has actually gone in some places which will probably mean that the metal reinforcements have weakened.

Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Stuartli
>>Most of the people who will have suffered a loss will, presumably, be Scousers.

Scousers would not dream of claiming anything other than a genuine loss.>>

Unnecessary and stereotyped comment - you should be ashamed of yourself.

I'll wager that the majority of those who owned one of the 1,600 cars parked there came from outside the city.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - VxFan
>> Scousers would not dream of claiming anything other than a genuine loss.>>
>> Unnecessary and stereotyped comment - you should be ashamed of yourself.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPIsTKpAoE4
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - No FM2R
>>Scousers would not dream of claiming anything other than a genuine loss.>>
>
>Unnecessary and stereotyped comment - you should be ashamed of yourself.

Ironically, if it was aimed as you suppose, it only works if you approach it with that mindset yourself.

And ashamed? No drama here then.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Bromptonaut
>> Ironically, if it was aimed as you suppose, it only works if you approach it
>> with that mindset yourself.

Really?
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Zero

>> I'll wager that the majority of those who owned one of the 1,600 cars parked
>> there came from outside the city.

Quite right, they cant all be stolen.
>>Quite right, they cant all be stolen. >>

A truly, truly pathetic comment.

If you really want to know about stolen cars totals in the big northern cities, try having a look at the figures for Leeds and Manchester.

But stereotyping is so much more simple and easy.

Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 4 Jan 18 at 00:49
>> A truly, truly pathetic comment.

Or sense of humour failure on someone else's part.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - commerdriver
>> Or sense of humour failure on someone else's part.
>>
absolutely, please lets not become so PC that a bit of banter takes on a life of its own.
As one of quite a few Glaswegians on this forum we are all pretty used to banter, here and elsewhere surely the Liverpudlians can handle it equally well.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - sooty123
surely the Liverpudlians can handle it equally well.
>>
>>

Oh I don't know, some can't.
>>Or sense of humour failure on someone else's part.>>

I'm not a Liverpudlian, although many of my family members do from many years back.

It's just that such typical constant and usually unwarranted stereotyping unfairly denigrates a very, very large majority of honest, decent, generous, hard working and fun to be with people.

I know because I've experienced and enjoyed the company of many of them for decades; as most of the forum members will be aware, there's certainly no sense of humour failure with those who live in or hail from the city!!
>> I'm not a Liverpudlian, although many of my family members do from many years back.
>> It's just that such typical constant and usually unwarranted stereotyping unfairly denigrates a very, very large majority of honest, decent, generous, hard working and fun to be with people.
>> I know because I've experienced and enjoyed the company of many of them for decades;
>> as most of the forum members will be aware, there's certainly no sense of humour
>> failure with those who live in or hail from the city!!

That's more or less what I wrote:- "Mon 1 Jan 18 13:01"

"Most of the people who will have suffered a loss will, presumably, be Scousers.

"Scousers would not dream of claiming anything other than a genuine loss.

When I wrote that, you got all grumpy...........
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 4 Jan 18 at 15:29
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Pat
>>t's just that such typical constant and usually unwarranted stereotyping unfairly denigrates a very, very large majority of honest, decent, generous, hard working and fun to be with people.<<

I know that feeling well, both as a lorry driver and a forum poster but I will absolutely agree with you about the majority of Scousers.

I've spent a lot of time in Liverpool docks loading timber/steel/fruit and I can honestly say they are the salt of the earth with a great sense of humour.

It's where I get my thick skin from!

Pat
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - smokie
Well it's good to know that at least the Scousers themselves have a great sense of humour. :-)

I didn't doubt that anyway - believe it or not I know some too!!
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - BiggerBadderDave
"believe it or not I know some too"

Me too. I married one. It lasted eleven years.

Her brother and friends would refer to me as a pie-eater or a woollyback. I called them scousers. Put a Manc and a Scouse around a table in the pub and the banter would ride high. I loved it and so did they.

Unwarranted stereotyping? Well, I love pies and she stole my house.
>>Me too. I married one. It lasted eleven years.>>

Woollyback is regarded as a derogatory term by Scousers for people who hail(ed) from Lancashire or Cheshire.

Scouser comes from the dish that Norwegian sailors used to eat when in the port in Liverpool centuries ago; still a great meal especially in winter.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 5 Jan 18 at 00:28
A pie is a pastry shell filled with beef or chicken, potato, kidney and gravy.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Hard Cheese
>> A pie is a pastry shell filled with beef or chicken, potato, kidney and gravy.>>

Amazing, "pie" is not in the swear filter ...
Change the record and move on.
>> Change the record and move on.
>>

What was it you said above - "sense of humour failure on someone else's part" ...
>> What was it you said above - "sense of humour failure on someone else's part"

There's having a sense of humour, and there's carrying on like a silly child. I'll leave it for you to work out which you are/have.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 5 Jan 18 at 12:58
>> I'll leave it for you to work out which you are/have.
>>

Yup, I've got a sense of humour ...
Have the best of both worlds, make it a childish sense of humour.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Mapmaker

>> Scouser comes from the dish that Norwegian sailors used to eat when in the port
>> in Liverpool centuries ago; still a great meal especially in winter.

Take a sack of potatoes, add a pound of tripe and boil it all up. Serve when tender.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - DP

>> I've spent a lot of time in Liverpool docks loading timber/steel/fruit and I can honestly
>> say they are the salt of the earth with a great sense of humour.

I don't believe in stereotypes as a rule, but there is a certain down-to-earth, approachable, and light-hearted outlook that is certainly common to all the Scousers I've met. They don't suffer fools though. Very limited tolerance for BS.
>>
>> >> I've spent a lot of time in Liverpool docks loading timber/steel/fruit and I can
>> honestly
>> >> say they are the salt of the earth with a great sense of humour.
>>
>> I don't believe in stereotypes as a rule,

Nor do I(apart from humour) but they said east end dockers were the salt of the earth. They were a thieving bunch of stroppy bullying corrupt tea leaves.

You can chose friends but you cant chose family.
>> Nor do I(apart from humour) but they said east end dockers were the salt of
>> the earth. They were a thieving bunch of stroppy bullying corrupt tea leaves.

When the docks were being run down in 70s a few ex dockers were re-mustered to the Civil Service in Messenger type roles. Some adapted but others retained the stroppy bully attitude and attained the then remarkable status of being sacked.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Pat
>>Nor do I(apart from humour) but they said east end dockers were the salt of the earth. They were a thieving bunch of stroppy bullying corrupt tea leaves.<<

...and I would agree with that, likewise with most of the south east port such as Sheerness, Dover (Western Docks) and Newhaven. Hull as well!

Then of course there's Heysham, once again the salt of the earth and don't suffer fools gladly but some very fond memories for me of the dock foreman trying to teach me how to stack my first handball load of 22 tonnes of Cyprus spuds:) That's where I learned to swear, it's where I learned where really being knackered is but it's where I spent some very happy times.:)

Pat

Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Robin O'Reliant
>> Nor do I(apart from humour) but they said east end dockers were the salt of
>> the earth. They were a thieving bunch of stroppy bullying corrupt tea leaves.

I worked with plenty of ex dockers in various firms round east London. They would spend all the hours they could telling us how hard they worked in the docks but never managed to do a tap where ever they were afterwards. They'd steal anything they could, whether they wanted it or not. It was almost a point of principle to walk out with something concealed under the coat each night.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 5 Jan 18 at 16:50
As a metal fabricator I worked in a lot of the old style industrial places when I was young. Of course there were decent, hard-working people amongst them, but mostly they were lazy bullies who'd nick anything that wasn't bolted down and liked nothing more than to give the new/young people a bad time.

Most of what you hear is romantic rubbish.
>> I guess everyone had a couple of grand worth of kit / cash in their cars as well!?

If say you'd left your camera and a MacBook Pro and a tablet (or two) in the boot that could easily be over £2k. Add in a new iPhone X and you can add on another £1000.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 1 Jan 18 at 16:17
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - sherlock47
Do people really leave valuables in their cars in Scouser land?

Interesting if it was an old LR that started the fire- Not much to burn except fuel!
>> Do people really leave valuables in their cars in Scouser land?
>>
>> Interesting if it was an old LR that started the fire- Not much to burn
>> except fuel!
>>

We went to the Cavern Club and were about to take a short cut when one of the locals on the team suggested that we didn't as there were two "likely lads" just hanging around in the shadows.

Nice place if you know how to stay safe!
Liverpool's fine, no worse than any other city.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Ted

I'll have to check when she gets home, I think SWM might have parked our Veyron in there.
Interview with a witness on PM just now reported that the bonnet of the original vehicle that caught fire was open...
>> Liverpool's fine, no worse than any other city.

Common sense tells one that not all cities can possibly be the same.

Liverpool is the 10th worst city in the UK for crime (it's The Sun so it must be kosher)

tinyurl.com/yczqadh7
>> Do people really leave valuables in their cars in Scouser land?

On a venue car park with decent security or on street in a less salubrious suburb?

There's a difference.

We were away over Xmas staying with and seeing various extended family. If there'd been a decent concert in a nearby city we might have gone then driven home. Phones stay with people but could have had 4 laptops and 4 tablets plus musical instruments locked in the boot. On a car park with on site security CCTV etc I wouldn't be too worried.
Your lack of concern is misplaced, theft can happen anywhere, especially if the goods make it "worthwhile".

On the same I day I was burgled (see elsewhere in this thread) I parked in an apparently reasonably secure multi-storey at Snow Hill station, Birmingham. I was on the end of a row, on the main drag through the car park, not stuffed away at the back somewhere.

Someone broke the side window to get my iPod, which I thought I'd left fairly well tucked away under the seat. Wasn't even worth much. Car park people weren't very helpful at all.
>> Your lack of concern is misplaced,

The words I used were 'wouldn't be too worried'. I didn't mean a total lack of concern more that the risk was at a low enough level for me to accept it.

Items would be in boot of a utilitarian car and concealed by parcels shelf. The most valuable item would not be a laptop but Mrs B's Oboe.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Cliff Pope

>> Interesting if it was an old LR that started the fire- Not much to burn
>> except fuel!
>>

It was apparently a Series III, not an older model with bare metal interior.
Plastic dashboard, lots of padding, possibly padded door cards and soundprooing.
old enough, early 70s to mid 80s

likely in that time to have had a fair amount of modification, possibly on the original wiring loom
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - spamcan61
>> >> I guess everyone had a couple of grand worth of kit / cash in
>> their cars as well!?
>>
>> If say you'd left your camera and a MacBook Pro and a tablet (or two)
>> in the boot that could easily be over £2k. Add in a new iPhone X
>> and you can add on another £1000.
>>
Every fully comp. policy I've taken out has had a personal possessions limit of a couple of hundred quid or thereabouts, so good luck to folk trying to claim a couple of grand's worth of stuff.
>>Every fully comp. policy I've taken out has had a personal possessions limit of a couple of hundred quid or thereabouts, so good luck to folk trying to claim a couple of grand's worth of stuff.

On your car insurance, agreed.

- But perhaps your home insurance.
- Perhaps if the Land Rover owner is negligent/liable?
- Ditto car park owner?

Mind you, why one would keep all that crap in a car in a car park is beyond me.
>> >> I guess everyone had a couple of grand worth of kit / cash in their cars as well!?

If say you'd left your camera and a MacBook Pro and a tablet (or two) in the boot that could easily be over £2k. Add in a new iPhone X and you can add on another £1000.>>

Anyone stupid enough to do so, no matter where in the UK, deserved all they got.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - PeterS
>> Could be a good time to be a car dealer in Liverpool though. Fair bit
>> of local demand all of a sudden.
>>

Sounds like it should have an impact, but I wonder how much really?

2.7m new cars sold every year, and more than 8m used. So 1,400 is a drop in the ocean... in fact, based on those numbers, doesn’t it mean that almost 30,000 cars are sold a day! That’s around 1,300 an hour... crazy numbers...!
"That’s around 1,300 an hour..."

Those are the stolen in Liverpool stats.
>> She added: "We've lost everything because our car was right next to the car that
>> exploded. My handbag was in it, our cards, cash, everything. We just grabbed the keys
>> and ran."

No love, you've just lost whatever you left in your vehicle. You haven't lost "everything". Stop being so melodramatic. Possessions can be replaced, whereas life cannot.

And what was the point in grabbing the keys? What use are they going to be?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 1 Jan 18 at 17:38
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Focal Point
"And what was the point in grabbing the keys? What use are they going to be?"

Presumably the house keys were on the same key-ring.
>>keys

Insurance companies will probably demand them to show the car was real or not nicked with the keys in it!
My house key is on the ca ring !
Surely keys and wallet/handbag would have already been to hand and simply automatic?
If you weren't in the car then presumably you had the keys on you.

One of the eye witnesses said they left phones in the car... and took a photo of the burning car too... so did she have a camera or use her phone ;-)

Next weekend I will be travelling for a wedding. I will have my MacBook Pro (equivalent replacement is about £1500 now I think), camera (RRP is £949 but I got it for £644 with a cash back offer), phone (call it £500), Kindle (RRP £170), clothes (£?), etc.

Call it £3,000 then. And the 'car insurance' is not mine anyway due to it being a company car so they'd pay out naff all so I'd claim on the house insurance which would cover losses. I know the poor cover from when I had a car stolen.
When we were burgled a few years back we claimed for exactly what was taken. it wasn't much, just some small personal belongings (SWMBOs handbag, inc.l a £200 purse) and about £200 in cash.

SWMBO was grilled at length more than once by the insurance company, and we had to produce receipts for pretty much everything of any value that we claimed for.

She had that much cash as work owed her some and she'd got it from petty cash that day. They called her workplace to verify.

I certainly am glad we didn't try to fiddle anything.

SWMBOs office keys were taken - inconvenient as they had to change the locks but the insurance wouldn't cough for that, luckily her work paid and never asked for recompense

My work rucksack was taken but recovered intact, complete with laptop. Her car was also taken but recovered intact, new locks on that too under the car insurance.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - CGNorwich
>> If you weren't in the car then presumably you had the keys on you.
>>
>> One of the eye witnesses said they left phones in the car... and took a
>> photo of the burning car too... so did she have a
>>
>> Call it £3,000 then. And the 'car insurance' is not mine anyway due to it
>> being a company car so they'd pay out naff all so I'd claim on the
>> house insurance which would cover losses. I know the poor cover from when I had
>> a car stolen.
>>

You’ll be lucky. Even if you have extended your household policy to provide cover on possessions away from home the cover for stuff left in a car is likely to be limited.

Some policies don't cover such losses at all - others cover them up to a monetary limit of, say, £1,000. However, any cover is normally only provided if the stolen items were taken from a "locked or concealed compartment" (such as a glove box or boot).

I would say don’t leave valuable in your car. CerInly not three grand’s worth. Check your policy.
>> No love, you've just lost whatever you left in your vehicle. You haven't lost "everything".
Stop being so melodramatic. Possessions can be replaced, whereas life cannot.

And what was the point in grabbing the keys? What use are they going to be?>>

Perhaps if you'd bothered to find out the correct facts, you wouldn't have got that so wrong.

The Liverpool Echo reported:

"The quick-thinking of former Liverpool captain Mark Wright and his wife Sue helped rescue horses from the Liverpool ECHO Arena car park fire.

The pair were driving out of the building with their children when they spotted a Land Rover that had burst into flames just before 5pm.

Sue said she called 999 and took this dramatic picture to show firefighters exactly where the fire had started."

>>Perhaps if you'd bothered to find out the correct facts, you wouldn't have got that so wrong.

Oh, so they did lose *everything*?
>> Perhaps if you'd bothered to find out the correct facts, you wouldn't have got that
>> so wrong.

I was going on the quote from the DT article that was posted.

On a slight variation of what you posted the other day - I don't necessarily have the time or inclination to read EVERY news article!
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 2 Jan 18 at 02:05

>> Perhaps if you'd bothered to find out the correct facts, you wouldn't have got that
>> so wrong.

Bit jumpy today, are we, love?
>> Bit jumpy today, are we, love?>>

No darling, just like so many somewhat tired of others stereotyping many, many thousands of those connected with Liverpool as being toe rags. It's comparatively few who let the side down and that applies to communities anywhere in the UK.

I could say that some of the criminal activities that go on in London daily truly stagger me or that southerners are the world's biggest moaners, but I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing....:-)
... often in the past you have been somewhat less than flattering about southerners. What's good for the goose and all that... :-)

>> ... often in the past you have been somewhat less than flattering about southerners. What's
>> good for the goose and all that... :-)>>

You've had a few inches of snow recently down there and completely fallen apart...:-)
>> And what was the point in grabbing the keys? What use are they going to
>> be?>>
>>

Perhaps to open their front door when they finally got home ...
>> Perhaps to open their front door when they finally got home ...

I took it she was referring to the car keys.

Maybe it's just me that doesn't keep their house keys on the same ring as the car keys. Only additional one on mine is the garage key.
>> Maybe it's just me that doesn't keep their house keys on the same ring as
>> the car keys. Only additional one on mine is the garage key.
>>
Certainly house keys on keyring together with car keys has always been standard practice in our family, partly as we have always lived in self locking houses, i.e. when you close the front door behind you, it is locked and needs the key to get back in.
Car key separated only when the car is left with garage for servicing etc.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - sooty123
Same here always kept my house and car keys together, less likely to lose them that way.

>> Car key separated only when the car is left with garage for servicing etc.
>>

Agreed, you only need a theivin' oik to be working at the garage and take a copy of your key and link it with your address.

>> Maybe it's just me that doesn't keep their house keys on the same ring as
>> the car keys. Only additional one on mine is the garage key.
>>

Me too, I was just speculating.

Wife's key for the 120i has a front door key on it though my keys, well fobs actually, for both cars have no other keys with them.

The garage is electric though we don't/can't keep a car in their so no need to take a fob except sometimes when food shopping (fridge-freezer and chest freezer) and when cycling or on the motorbike, though the latter has not been used for a couple of years ...
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool Key Care. - sherlock47
I am paranoid about the whereabouts of my keys. I keep a single fob with 3 car keys, and 4 sets of house keys with a nylon lanyard attached. My life is never fully planned and I go in fear of not having the correct set of keys with me. When abroad I just add the extra set, justified by the situation where i have to fly back directly to my fathers, but not via home address!

I have tried BT tags but never found them reliable. The lanyard is a life saver if the they are moved or hidden on a desk, If I visit a beach, and even longer cord is attached!

Typing this has made me think about how irrational my behaviour must seem to others,
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool Key Care. - PeterS
I’m not particularly paranoid, but do make sure that every set of car keys has a front door key as well. Going out in the car is bound to mean they’ll be needed!

I’ve never lost a car or house key, though my partner did lose his at the hospital a few months back. Didn’t bother changing the house locks -nothing to tie them back to our address. Getting the car key replaced was more of a faff. And a pit pricey. A keyless entry key for an A3 (plus the coding of course...) came to about £280 I think, including removing the lost key as well. It also involved two trips to Audi, one to order the new key (with requisite proof of ID, ownership and address) and one to have it coded. Still, that meant the car was cleaned twice, and two bacon sandwiches and cups of coffee, so not all bad ;)
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool Key Care. - CGNorwich
Sure does :-)

I remember losing the keys to my Mini whilst staying in a hotel over Christmas back in the early seventies. I simply rang my parents, asked them to give me the key number conveniently stamped on the key and bought one from a local service station which had a large rack of BMC keys on display. Simpler times!
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool Key Care. - zippy
Bumped in to a horsey girlfriend at the farm shop this morning whilst getting some sausages and eggs.

She lost her 12 year old Vitara in the fire.

Insurer is the NFU and they have accepted the loss and have promised settlement by the end of the week with a reasonable offer for the car of about £3,500. She is miffed as she now has to buy a new car when she knew her old one was reasonably reliable, but happy that all were safe.

They said that if they do make a claim from a third party then she will get her excess back.

She hadn't taken her horses and was booked in to a Premier Inn a few minutes way away from the venue.

Car Park Fire In Liverpool Key Care. - sooty123
>> I am paranoid about the whereabouts of my keys. I keep a single fob with
>> 3 car keys, and 4 sets of house keys with a nylon lanyard attached.

When you say 4 sets you mean, 4 back/side door keys every time you go out?

> Typing this has made me think about how irrational my behaviour must seem to others,
>>

Just a little ;-)

I'm forever loosing stuff around the house, forgetting where I've put things. Lost very little whilst out and about weirdly.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 2 Jan 18 at 14:21
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool Key Care. - sherlock47
>>When you say 4 sets you mean, 4 back/side door keys every time you go out?<<<

YEP

4 front door sets = 3 with 1 'yale', 1 with Chubb 6 lever + 'yale'

Primary House + Second home+ father flat + brother front door

Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 2 Jan 18 at 22:30
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool Key Care. - sooty123
> YEP
>>
>> 4 front door sets = 3 with 1 'yale', 1 with Chubb 6 lever +
>> 'yale'
>>
>> Primary House + Second home+ father flat + brother front door
>

ah right I thought you meant you carried 4 sets of keys for the same house with you.
www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-42542556

Seems to me that it may be difficult in the short term at least, perhaps ever, to prove whether or not a car was actually in there; or indeed that it was not.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 2 Jan 18 at 16:22
Copy of car park ticket and event ticket were sufficient.
Oddly I ended up talking to a victim today - Evoque was burnt to a cinder along with some hugely expensive and uninsured equine leatherwear - her insurance company are coughing up with no quibble for the car.
>> Oddly I ended up talking to a victim today - Evoque was burnt to a
>> cinder along with some hugely expensive and uninsured equine leatherwear - her insurance company are
>> coughing up with no quibble for the car.

It featured heavily on the news. Failure to pay up would make just as much news and be a PR disaster.
Seems that some of the cars were quite spread out so the fire must have travelled through the carpark structure.

Edit: Rather than simply from one car to another.
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Wed 3 Jan 18 at 01:47
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Rudedog
Did you hear about the cars that were undamaged up on the top floor (roof) that had dogs rescued from?

Wonder how or if those cars will be able to be brought down to ground to be returned to the owners.
>>Dogs...

That's awful! Who leaves a dog in their car nowadays?

I wonder how many didn't get noticed and perished?
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Rudedog
Reading the news reports it seems it might be as many as 8 in total, all were rescued after the flames were put out, owners left them in their cars while they went to the show.
Dogs were only left in cars that were parked on the top floor/roof?

Sounds a little unlikely.
Maybe owners risking leaving dogs in cars left them on the quieter floor, i.e. the roof...

... or nobody will admit to there being an animal in a car that was left that subsequently burned.
Our dogs are often left in a parked car - especially this time of the year.
I think a lot do RP - not unusual or a problem. Who would think leaving a car in a car park was a risk of the entire car park burning away.
I thought hot dogs were always available at these type of events?

I'll get me coat.
>> >>Dogs...
>>
>> That's awful! Who leaves a dog in their car nowadays?
>>

It's often impossible not to, the sensible dog owner does it in a safe risk free manner, but you can't forsee a huge car park fire
The open sides of the car park allowed the wind to fan the flames.
Work has started to pull it down.

youtu.be/ONtwr_ZkW34

youtu.be/LQsr3w8KkeQ

The 2nd link shows the fire damaged cars being removed from the building.
Oddly, a friend of mine had been there this weekend and posted a photo. I believe from what she said the new one had already been built.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Dieselboy
Fair amount of scrap metal there - wonder who gets to weigh it in?!
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Old Navy
The demolition company? It must be factored into the contract.
Never been to the Echo before but going to see Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds there next month. The Lad's birthday present to me.

Will probably use the train.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Dieselboy
Not far to one of the biggest scrappies around - Norton Scrap Metal on the docks in North Liverpool. Massive operation it is.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Bobby
Do these types of machines have cameras on the end of the booms or do they need to judge distances etc whilst sitting in the cab with their neck craned?
Scappies…

Client has one of those licences needed to scrap cars.

He has a nice little operation and recycles fuel from tanks, oil from the engine etc.

Salvageable parts get put on the market, some being shipped to Africa.

Alternators and starters get refurbished.

He often gets offered silly money from shady characters for the licence. Apparently its a very good way to launder ill gotten gains, clone vehicles etc. Some of the silly offers come with threats but the client, who is very astute and wouldn't hurt a fly, even though he sounds like a rough navvy. Luckily he's also built like a brick out house, so threats have come to naught.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Boxsterboy
That first (Toyota?) pick-up they remove looked untouched by the fire? Why scrap it?
Last edited by: Boxsterboy on Tue 27 Nov 18 at 11:56
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - Boxsterboy
Unlike the classic Mustang that features at about 15.00 mins.
>> That first (Toyota?) pick-up they remove looked untouched by the fire? Why scrap it?

I suspect the structural issues are such that driving cars out is not possible. Also possible that what looks untouched on you tube is anything but.
 Car Park Fire In Liverpool - henry k
>> >> That first (Toyota?) pick-up they remove looked untouched by the fire? Why scrap it?
>>
>> I suspect the structural issues are such that driving cars out is not possible.
>>Also possible that what looks untouched on you tube is anything but.
>>
From what I have read , yes structural issues were a major concern hence the only way of removal was by the grab.
Vehicles were also affected by chemicals and water. They are all being moved to a "secure compound " where owners will be able to collect any contents.
>> They are all being moved to a "secure compound " where owners will be able to collect any contents.

Just as long as it's not a pair of expensive sunglasses that were stored in the roof compartment of the car.
Latest Forum Posts