Motoring Discussion > Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 42

Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Old Navy
Being a boring old far*, I have settled on silver. I have vowed never to have a black, white, or yellow car again. In fact my daughters (as teenagers) would only travel in my custard coloured Datsun 160B in the dark, or as a last resort, (mum's car not available). I think Ford "Teletubby Blue" must be one of the worst.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 20 Aug 10 at 18:06
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Tooslow
Depends on the car really but anything on a 70s BL car falls into the bad/ugly category. They managed to make many of them look as though they were various shades of cow dung :-(

JH
>> shades of cow dung :-(
>>
>> JH
>>
I must admit I had an Allegro estate in that colour, at least it toned with the rust. :-)
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - merlin
I like my palladium silver E class. Only cleaned it once in a year and it still looks ok not showing the dirt. Used to have a tornado red Golf. That looked good before it started fading like they all did. My Impreza turbo was deep blue. Would have preferred the sonic blue but that was only available on specials and EU imports.

There's a guy on pistonheads debating what colour to spray his McLaren F1. Makes interesting reading if you are into colours.
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - corax
I thought that sort of pastille purple colour that Vauxhall inflicted on the corsa was long gone, then I saw a new one in the same colour! Must be hard to sell, it's a very individual taste.
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Robin O'Reliant
Fiat Pandas come in a shade of eye damaging orange, what type of person would specify one beats me.
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - mikeyb
I always had a dislike for the turd brown Nova saloon my friends mum had.

BL must have bought a bulk load of various shades of brown and beige - I dont recall there actualy being any nice BL colours
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Robin O'Reliant
There were a spate of garish yellow Peugeot 205s around back in the nineties. A couple of people told me that Puegeot had bought a load of paint from BT when they changed the colour of their fleet to grey.

It doesn't sound true, but it could be. Anyone know?
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Boggy
Mate of mine once had a Datsun 120Y in brown, was called 'The Flying Turd'
Some brown hues are OK, I always liked Jim Rockfords Pontiac Firebird, I suppose that was more of a gold colour though.

It's great to see Ford bringing out the Focus RS500 in matt black. I'd really like to see one of those on the road. It's amazing what can be done these days. You can now get your car 'vinyl wrapped', it goes straight over the paintwork, and comes in any colour including the above. You can also take it off again and it doesn't damage the paintwork.
Last edited by: corax on Fri 20 Aug 10 at 21:48
culturegarage.com/article/matte_black_vinyl_wrapped_b7_rs4_avant_let_me_show_you_it
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - a900ss
I was following a 2010 M3 the other day and it had a matt/satin finish; it wasn't glossy at all.

Still undecided if I like it or not. One thing I am sure of is that when the car is no longer new, it will just look like its paint has aged poorly.
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - RattleandSmoke
I had a difficult decision when choosing my colour. My mates Panda is white so that was off, I so it was a choice of Yellow, Red, dark met blue, light blue, silver and black. I choose a dark metalic blue.

I still wonder if I should have picked silver as Pandas look good in that colour. That said mine is the only blue Panda Active I've seen so its quite rare. People don't pick poverty spec cars and then spend £400 for a colour.

I do like black cars but my dad had a black Punto and people kept crashing into it was constantly in the garage having body work repairs. In the end I could only conclude it was because people couldn't see it.

So for me it will probably always be blue and silver cars. I've never owned a silver car the colours are:-

1) Fiesta 1.1 - Met maroon
2) Fiesta 1.3 MK4 - Purple (actually a nice colour)
3) Corsa 1.2 16v Club - A light met blue (forget the code) but it was a lovely colour.
4) Fiesta 1.3 Ghia - Dark met green but looks black in most lights (my dads car but was registered to me, the colour is not one we would have picked but the car was just too cheap to ignore - £850 for a 9 year old Fiesta with FSH and 62k miles).
5) Panda 1.1 Active Met Blue (can't remember the code and its been discontinued)
The colour was New Orleans blue, can't believe its been discontinued :(
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Armel Coussine
Naturally I like some colours more than others, and think some colours suit some cars.

But I can't imagine being put off a car I liked as a car by its colour. That seems completely effeminate to me. What does it matter? The machine is what counts.

Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Avant
Absolutely right, AC, and you have logic totally on your side.

And yet....I'm supposed to be a logical chartered accountant, but I couldn't have lived with the anthracite colour of the limited edition Octavia on offer in the showroon last year. Mine is a cheerful bright blue but it cost £20 a month more.
Last edited by: Avant on Fri 20 Aug 10 at 23:22
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - bathtub tom
I had a Maxi in what I called 'cow turd green', I've still got a pot of touch-up in the shed.

It was great, it didn't need washing for weeks in the Winter.
Surely they can't be soaking you 20 quid a month just for blue rather than anthracite Avant? Must have at least 40 bhp more, or leather or something?
It would depend on the finance deal. My £400 extra is over four years so in terms of a monthly cost it must be less than a pint of beer. A small price to pay rather than being sick everytime I walk to the my car. Mustard Yellow?
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Ted

I'm with Armel. I don't really give a fiddlers about the colour....that's her department.
We had a choice of 3 Notes, all the same year and all autos. Met orange, blue and met charcoal........that's the one she picked, surprisingly. The Vitara is met turquoise over silver.
It looks dark blue to me. The Javelin is black, of course, as befits a gentleman's carriage.
I can tolerate burgundy ones but they dont suit light colours. A pal has a yellow one......not exactly factory spec.

I've had most colours in the past. I don't like these vomit green cars you see knocking about, or 'baby's first attempt brown ', but I'm fairly tolerant.

When I replace the old Vit, I might look for a newer Grand Vit in white, with the PSA diesel lump and the autobox. Suits me now so no need to change things.

Ted
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - idle_chatterer
What about light pink metallic Honda Jazz's - surely this cuts the potential resale market by 50% although I guess it might increase the attractiveness to those people ?
Better car for lss money. I'll take the pink one please.
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Skoda
I liked the gold/orange Volvo did early / mid 00's. Don't like Asbo orange you can buy the focus in.

Can't decide whether i like or hate Skoda Race Blue. In direct sunlight it's really attractive, but in anything else (and thats all we ever get here!) i'm unconvinced :-( I don't think i would buy another in this colour.
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Auntie Lockbrakes
I used to have an '89 Fiesta Ghia in a very classy looking pale gold - called Silica Gold IIRC. Much smarter than it's silver predecessor.

Citroen were knocking out cheap Saxos in Mango Orange about 10 years ago, remember them?!

BMW seem to be experimenting with brown at the mo don't they? (X1 adverts).

I like Rattle's blue. Used to have a V50 in much the same colour. Silver always looks smart but becoming so dull!

Got my new Kia last month at a bargain price, but no choice of colour. Black or black. I like it but absolutely dread cleaning it because black seems to smear and scratch so easily.
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - tyro
Interesting. I wish I could say that I wasn't shallow enough to care about colour, but I do.

Oddly enough, I have no problem with browns - or greens, yellows, or oranges.

In fact I like most orange shades - especially the Focus ST. If they did an estate version with 70 profile tyres, I'd be quite interested. ;-)

I also like the Fiat 500 in Tropicalia Yellow - though if I were to buy a 500, I'd probably do the boring thing and get white, because it just seems to look right in white.

I don't really like reds, but the two colours I really dislike are the Honda Jazz pale metallic pink idle_chatterer referred to and the colour that was available on Citroen Picassos (& some other Citroens?) which was somewhere between lilac and silver.

For the record, the three colours we have chosen were "dark aubergine" (a sort of purple, but most people thought it was black on a dull day), silver, and metallic black - and the latter two remain two of my favourite car colours.
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Pat
I love the 'champagne' colour on any car and was hoping the CRV would be that colour.
I once had a Carlton in that shade and it certainly did it justice.
Sadly, being secondhand we had to settle for blue:(

Pat
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - L'escargot
My chosen colour is that which is the most visible to other road users. I currently have solid red, because solid yellow wasn't available. A survey carried out years ago by the AA showed that yellow cars were less likely to be involved in accidents than other colours. I certainly wouldn't specify a metallic colour costing extra ~ I sit inside the car and drive it, not stand outside and admire it! In essence, the exterior paint is just there to stop the metal going rusty.

My first two new cars were dark green (Forest Green) and dark blue (Midnight Blue) respectively, and they both received numerous knocks when parked in poorly lit multi-storey car parks.
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - CGNorwich
Bad choice l,escargot. According to this report optomerists state that the red is one of the least visible of vehicle colours. Perceived as black at night. Book your car in for a lime yellow re-spray now!

www.aaafoundation.org/pdf/CarColorAndSafety.pdf

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sat 21 Aug 10 at 09:11
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Bellboy
good report that
>> Bad choice l,escargot.

If solid yellow had been available then that is what I would have specified. At the time the choice of solid colours was very limited.
If money was no object my car(s!) would be Coventry Fire Brigade Yellow. www.fire-engine-photos.com/picture/number4237.asp The colour was formulated by Warwick University for its high visibility.
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Bellboy
I like that L'escargot, i would describe it as wishy washy yellow but i still like it
Unfortunately at this time of the year so does every type of bug known to man and they tend to be attracted to very large yellow things when parked up
Me? i love broom yellow on fiats
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Mike Hannon
>>The colour was New Orleans blue, can't believe its been discontinued :(<<

New Orleans blue is a sort of muddy brown now isn't it?

I'll get me coat...

(Actually, I rather fancy a Pug 406 coupe - not the later one with the ugly mouth - in that nice lemon yellow)
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Avant
My Octavia is race blue (the anthracite one was a special limited edition deal, AC). After four silver cars in a row (chosen because in each case they were in the country rather than waiting several months for delivery), bright blue was a relief.

I like it but my ideal colour would be a metallic blue the colour of cornflowers. Triumph did a non-metallic verion of this colour back in the 60s and 70s on 2000s and Dolomites, but I haven't seen it since.
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Ted

One I wouldn't have is a faded dark blue........a sort of Old Navy....well, you just wouldn't, would you ? :-)

Ted
>>
>> One I wouldn't have is a faded dark blue........a sort of Old Navy....well, you just
>> wouldn't, would you ? :-)
>>
>> Ted
>>

No, thats a faded bluey grey colour now. :-)

EDIT:- Rapidly turning grey, I will match my silver car before long.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 21 Aug 10 at 13:38
>> ..........i would describe it as wishy washy yellow but i still
>> like it

If you saw it in real life, you'd realise it was far from wishy-washy. It was a very striking yellow. If some people looked at it for long enough, they used to feel quite ill.
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Stuartli
My best mate has a three-year-old Mondeo in a colour I can only describe as gold and really shows the car's lines off well - never seen another one yet in this particular colour.

A pal recently bought a new Skoda Octavia in metallic Arctic Green, which looks absolutely terrific and attracts considerable attention.

One of the very, very few cars I've ever liked in what I term a "non-colour" - white - is the VW Scirocco.
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - WillDeBeest
Is that the beautiful Giugiaro original, Stuart, its peculiar 80s successor, or the horrible squashed-toad thing that carries the Scirocco badge today?
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Stuartli
>>..or the horrible squashed-toad thing that carries the Scirocco badge today?>>

I'm writing about the current one, but that's the last description I'd give it..:-)

Here's the one from 20 years or so back (in white!):

www.cargurus.com/Cars/Pictures-c14375-1990-Scirocco.html#pi17106388

The Corrado was pretty good too...:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 22 Aug 10 at 16:29
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - Dr_Rubber
Its interesting how colour names change, and/or fall in and out fashion. my personal worst colour was the bogie yellow mondeo's in the 90's.
My C4 Picasso is Icare lila here in Germany (lila = purple) but Icare blue in the UK. Its no way a true blue, its more a v.dark violet colour. Quite a nice dark metallic, although it does dissapear in bad weather.
(Had a choice; Silver, Black or Icare. wanted something different)
Joe
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - apm
Most of my cars have been secondhand and colour has always been a secondary consideration unless there have genuinely been lots of examples in similar condition at similar prices (unusual). For the two new cars I've had, it was much harder. I chose based on 1) what suited the car, 2) what I liked and 3) a fear of ruining resale if I chose something that went out of fashion.

Current S60 D5 in metallic burgundy with off black leather interior. Really nice colour, suits the car. I would have preferred the car in the really dark blue, but didn't find one that fitted our other criteria. Heigh ho.

WRT the ancient AA report saying yellow was the safest colour, my grandfather would regularly talk about that, from the 1970's onward. He never had a yellow car mind.

Alex.
 Car colours, the good, the bad, and the ugly. - bathtub tom
Anyone remember BT vans?

When I started they were dark olive green, great for hiding amongst trees.

They then became bright yellow, supposedly a safety feature.

Then they were pale grey, a perfect camouflage for driving in road spray and mist. So much for safety.
Latest Forum Posts