Motoring Discussion > flooded cars Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 11

flooded cars - devonite
We have just had a flood in the town! Several streets, Houses and cars etc swamped! In one particular street several cars are stood in water nearly half way up the doors. Even though these cars were parked at the time, would it be safe to Start them without doing anything first? - how far into the engine would water get via the exhaust?

Edit: start them after the flood has subsided, so that it isn't sucked up the Air intake!
Last edited by: devonite on Sun 1 Oct 17 at 15:48
 flooded cars - Manatee
Almost certainly OK, but I think I would check the air filter first to absolutely sure that no water had passed through there. This (the flooding) happened with a few cars near here in Feb 2014 and a couple of them are still in use.

The more it's dried out though the better. And worth making sure it isn't one of those cars with a gubbins under the seat. I had a Galaxy with a water leak once. Didn't know until the lights and door locks started operating themselves. There was a compartment under the passenger seat with a box and a load of cables in it, totally submerged.
 flooded cars - Bobby
Surely the electrics are more the issue rather than the engine ?
 flooded cars - Old Navy
Flood water and CANBUS computer controlled electrics usually means an insurance write off.
 flooded cars - Manatee
>> Surely the electrics are more the issue rather than the engine ?

Possibly, window motors etc if they have been drenched. But a hydraulicked engine is a potential write off.

If thinking of claiming from the insurer, it probably isn't a good idea either - they might well argue that one has failed to mitigate the loss if starting it up wrecks it.
 flooded cars - Hard Cheese
Agree with Manatee totally.
 flooded cars - Cliff Pope
There's a whole list of stuff to do on a traditional car, but as someone has said, water in electronics would be the killer.

Drain engine, gearbox and axle oils and refill (if muddy water flush several times)
Replace air filter
Remove plugs and spin over to expel any water
Dismantle wheel bearings and clean if muddy water
Remove carpets and all sound insulation and padding. Wash and dry.
Remove and wash door cards and dry
Flush all box sections, doors etc to remove mud, sewage etc
Unplug, dry, clean, apply electrical grease to all electrical connections.
Remove and dry out alternator, starter, coil, etc.
Drain fuel tank, flush, dry out.
Keep in garage with fan heaters and dehumidifer for several weeks.

Etc etc as much as you can be bothered.

I knew someone whose Triumph Spitfire was flooded in Putney. It was never the same again, smelled awful, and had repeated electrical faults.
 flooded cars - R.P.
All the important electronics in the Volvo and the BMW live under the seats. Bad.
 flooded cars - Runfer D'Hills
Especially so if you've got metal fillings in your teeth...

:-(((
 flooded cars - Zero
>> All the important electronics in the Volvo and the BMW live under the seats. Bad.

Specially when it mixes with the werthers originals that live under there.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 1 Oct 17 at 19:27
 flooded cars - Dave_
Not sure I'd want to drive a car whose seats and carpets and been marinaded in a dilute solution of poop.

A colleague's car was written off for precisely that reason 20-odd years ago.
 flooded cars - devonite
The water has gone this morning! - but the cars haven't! One appears to have been moved but hasn't gone very far! and another has a fan heater in it, the others seem to be the least of their owners problems and seem abandoned! - Shame, there's a couple of nice motors there!
Latest Forum Posts