Motoring Discussion > Driving Pleasure ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 84

Driving Pleasure ? - R.P.
Is there any driving pleasure left ? We all talk lovingly about our cars, my drive to Nottingham yesterday got me thinking. On the way there (M6 southbound apart) it wasn't bad - on the return trip there was little to enjoy (scenery apart). Discuss !
 Driving Pleasure ? - smokie
I enjoy a long distance driving holiday once in a while, driving solo and either just enjoying the quiet or listening to some decent music or comedy on the in car entertainment.

The last major trip was taking my old banger across Germany last year, I think about 2500 miles in two weeks. I visited bits I'd not been to before and

I'm off to the West Coast USA tomorrow with SWMBO for three weeks, we're doing the tourist route and all the tourist traps and will probably clock up in excess of 2000 miles. That should be fun, and relatively cheap to boot!!

And lastly I am loving driving my Ampera. It is so quiet in electric mode, and nippy with it (and of course cheap to run, if you keep within electric range). Our town is currently riddled with major roadworks and delays to get anywhere, but the car is about the smoothest and most enjoyable ride I've owned for years, and I don't even mind (up to a point!) sitting in traffic in it.
 Driving Pleasure ? - legacylad
Sounds great Smokie... not sure about cheap though with current exchange rates. Fortunately I normally borrow one of my friends cars when I do similar... they live in Placerville between Sacramento & Tahoe. The latter being one of my favourite parts of the world.
Have fun. I'd be interested to know your plan of action.
 Driving Pleasure ? - smokie
@ LL - it's a very "touristic" route and we won';t be getting out of the car to walk far, even in the parks!!

1 night Santa Maria
3 nights San Francisco
2 nights Jamestown (west side of Yosemite)
1 night Lee Vining (east side of Yosemite)
4 nights Las Vegas
1 night Grand Canyon
4 nights Laughlin
3 nights Los Angeles

Planned routes are not necessarily the most direct and there are some diversions to see landmarks etc (Hoover Dam, Furnace Creek etc)

It's SWMBOs 1st time to the US. This is a whistle stop tour, heavy on the drive-by sightseeing, and if we happen across anything we like we can always go back. I doubt we will though... :-)

Exchange rate is about 10% better than I got this time last year, and than when we started booking this trip, and gas is still cheaper than here!!
 Driving Pleasure ? - VxFan
I used to thoroughly enjoy driving. But what with today's congested roads, speed cameras everywhere, along with the mobile speed cameras, the fun of driving for me has gone out of the window.
Don't get me wrong, I am not a habitual speeder, but I do like to make progress while driving, and not sit behind some slow old fart mimser for mile upon mile.

I just find driving more of a chore these days. Perhaps I'm just getting old. God, I hope I don't become a mimser too!
 Driving Pleasure ? - CGNorwich
From what you say Vx Fan it rather sounds as though you ARE, or want to be , a habitual speeder.

If instead of worrying about speed cameras, mobile or otherwise cramping your style you adapt your driving style to complying with the limits you might find driving becomes a lot less stressful and a whole lot more enjoyable again.

Its nothing to do wiith mimsing, its all about knowing what the relevant limits are and keeping to them. In my book that a greater skill and regards more concentration and awareness than forging on regardless
No, like I said, I just want to make progress.

Not have to worry about where the next camera is because someone has deemed it unsafe to drive at more than 20 mph on a particular road around Oxford. During congested periods you're unlikely able to go more than 5 to 10 mph anyway, so the restricted speed limit is a complete waste of time.
Then during the evening when roads are less busy, and the obvious hazards of schools no longer being open, and very few, if any pedestrians are still around because the shops are closed, etc, the same namby pamby speed limit still applies.
Even the local police agree some of the 20 mph limits in Oxford are a joke, but are still expected to enforce them.

Your neck of the woods I suspect is very different to mine, so I don't think you're in a position to criticise others without knowing the full facts.
I am not criticising you, just suggesting that there is another style of driving that is less stressful and more enjoyable than yours.

Rural Norfolk is undoubtedly less congested than the South East but Norwich is not without the usual crop of cameras, limits, and street calming combined with a tortuous one way system that confuses most visitors.

No, my point is that there is no point in railing against limits etc., they are here to stay. Learn to live with them and drive accordingly and to a large degree the stress goes away.
 Driving Pleasure ? - No FM2R
I have never seen the problem with speed cameras. Its called enforcement.

Now, there are plenty of speed limits that I disagree with and that I think should be changed but to argue against enforcement makes no sense at all.

Driving Pleasure ? - Cliff Pope
>> I have never seen the problem with speed cameras. Its called enforcement.
>>

There is a motoring game a bit like bingo. The promotors display numbers on large boards at the side of the road. You have a foot-operated device which contols a dial, and by moving your foot you have to try and make the number on the dial match the one at the side of the road. But they make it really easy for stupid people because you don't have to get the number exactly right - any number less than that displayed will do equally well.

It's really just a kind of voluntay taxation. They ought to increase speeding penalties so that it covers income tax and VAT too. No need to pay any of it if you don't want to. But lots of people do enjoy the thrill, and some try and enter as much as possible.
Unfortunately they limit your number of tries, and after 12 goes they take your licence away so that others can have a chance.
The point I'm trying to make is that it would be nice if some other motorists took note of the limits and tried to actually reach them instead of mimsing along at 30 to 40 mph holding everyone else up. I suspect these motorists don't even bother looking in their mirrors to see the huge tailback of traffic behind them, nor actually know what the speed limit is, otherwise why suddenly brake and slow down for a speed camera when they're not even speeding in the first place?

Basically it's other motorists that get my goat. I'm certain driving standards have slipped from what they were.

And don't get me started of people's inability to park.
I think so. I am not really a car enthusiast as such. What I like is driving. Not the aggressive tyre screeching 0 to 60 in six seconds kind, I just like driving to different places and exploring. Took a leisurely drive to Louth last week just to have a look around the delightful little town. Checked in an inn for a couple of nights and meandered back.

I guess I am lucky that I live in one of the less congested parts of the world, I can drive the twenty odd miles to the coast from Norwich hardly seeing another car if I thread through the lanes. Don't much like driving in the South East now though even though I hail from outer London. Just too many cars.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 29 Sep 17 at 09:14
A great deal depends upon where you live and your circumstances. Until a few years ago I worked 6 days a week in some W Yorkshire towns, commuting from the Settle area. The commute from home to the Keighley side of Skipton was always enjoyable, even in my old Transporter. Drystone walls, sheep, views of Pendle, and views of Ingleboro on the way home... at least in daylight hours!
Returning from Lpool airport Monday evening recently was horrendous. M62,M6, M65 busy busy busy. But I suppose needs must if your job so dictates.
Nowadays I prefer the train to get into cities, but there are glorious driving roads all around me. Up to Ribblehead, across to Hawes, over the Buttertubs to Keld, and on to Tan Hill, the Howgills, Dentdale, Swaledale and all on my doorstep.
Lots of driving pleasure to be had there. And I don't take it for granted.
 Driving Pleasure ? - Fenlander
>>>A great deal depends upon where you live and your circumstances.

Agreed. For me driving pleasure is a combination of the car, the skill of driving well, the scenery en route and the pleasure (hopefully) at the intended destination.

We don't live anywhere idyllic or snobby prestige but we are surrounded by countryside with A & B roads untroubled by traffic or speed cameras. Being retired I don't have to go anywhere particular at any particular time so naturally avoid the busier periods such than even a trip to town that would cause you to pull you hair out on a busy Saturday is fine mid am on Tuesday.

And were it legal or appropriate we live a 2min drive from a newer 4-lane stretch of the A1(M) should a 200mph car need testing.

I remember similar being asked about driving pleasure a decade or more ago on HJ with quite a bit of "can't enjoy it any more" grumping. Back then I said something like I can turn left or right from the end of the drive and either will be enjoyable.... that still stands.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 29 Sep 17 at 09:43
 Driving Pleasure ? - Mapmaker
There is almost *no* pleasure to be had in driving in the south east. London used to be quite fun, but there are so many cyclists these days you're taking your freedom (from prison) in your hands every time you drive past the suicidal idiots (not all of them, but many).

I noticed my car had done the grand total of 3000 miles since the MOT last year. Getting into and out of the M25 zone is so painful these days that I don't bother. Out first thing on a Saturday or Sunday is OK, but driving back in on a Saturday or Sunday evening is awful.
 Driving Pleasure ? - Mike Hannon
I used to enjoy driving but not any more. It's just a chore these days, even with the Accord and the XJS.
We used to enjoy visiting the UK but not any more. The experience of the past few years in the Westcountry has done for that. Last year, while walking on the coast near Clevedon we met a man walking his dog. He told he had set out that morning from Nailsea - a spit up the road - intending to to to Torquay. After three hours on the M5 he said he gave up at Weston. What we used to think were half-hour or two-hour drives in the UK can now take two hours or half a day. This year we didn't even bother to go.
I suppose, to be fair, it's not all bad. We now have a 'barn find' 1967 Fiat 500 as well, which is a bit of a laugh on the roads round here and seems to make other people smile as well.
 Driving Pleasure ? - Harleyman
Perhaps I'm lucky. Yes I get bad days where it's raining cats and dogs and I'm stuck in traffic, but my job takes me around the back roads of some of the most beautiful and challenging areas of the UK, so not only can I enjoy the drive but get paid for it too.

>>>After three hours on the M5

Seeing Mike H and Mapmaker's comments brings me to a rather flippant rule I've quoted to folks for decades... never seek to travel south of Biggleswade.... and even worse to the SW where I've always likened it to trying to pour cars into a funnel.

Due to pressure from Mrs F I broke that rule for this year's holiday in Devon. Oh how self righteous I felt as we joined the queue for Devon somewhere north of Bristol on the M5.... one of the most ghastly journeys in years.

Of course it's all about timing as after that daytime experience we left Devon at 7pm on the return home and drove back through the evening at a speed of our choosing without delays.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 29 Sep 17 at 11:04
 Driving Pleasure ? - Hard Cheese
I enjoy driving and one of my very regular routes is across country from Somerset to NW Surrey (Z's manor) where we used to live (a few hundred yards from Z it seems), and have family, and back again, I also worked in Basingstoke for a while so was doing much of it almost daily.

The reverse is Ottershaw to Chobham to Lightwater, M3 to the A303, A303 to Stonehenge and then across Salisbury Plain through Shrewton and Chittern to the A36 at Heytsbury, then past Longleat on the A362, then A361 to Cranmore (home of the East Somerset Railway) and then on the back roads over the Mendips bypassing Shepton Mallet and Wells, lots of great driving roads. I'll occasionally get to Longleat and think damn, 45 mins to go, though I'll usually be in the zone and think damn ONLY 45 mins to go. Any car can be enjoyable on this route, the Focus ST made easy work of it, the 2.0 Clio III was ideal, nice close gear ratios and the '05 BMW 120i has done the journey more times than I could ever count and is always great to steer through the twisties, as is of course the M135i.
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Fri 29 Sep 17 at 10:51
 Driving Pleasure ? - movilogo
For me,
Driving thru a scenic route + not much traffic + unstressed mind + good car = driving pleasure

I put 70% weightage on mind and 10% each on other parameters. Simple :-)
Our home abuts the so called "Evo Triangle" even on a wet/warm day like today there will be some idiots there with there hyper sports cars up there. It is a place where the Beemer can stretch its legs at the speed limit, the flip side, two of us (on bikes) were nearly wasted one Sunday by other bikers. We're both very experienced riders who ride to "safety" old not bold etc. Took the pleasure out of the ride for both of us.
 Driving Pleasure ? - Bobby
I enjoy driving routes that are not my usual ones.

Couple of weeks ago I took a day trip up to Glencoe and back, was pouring with rain but loved the drive and different scenery.

In a couple of weeks I will be driving down to Bishops Stortford on a Friday afternoon / evening - not the nicest of roads A66 / A1 etc in any shape or form but I will enjoy the drive.
 Driving Pleasure ? - Pat
I love driving just as much now as I ever did but in the car I certainly never join the queue on the M for the West Country.

The A38 runs parallel and is so quiet, the B3187 is another good route to avoid the traffic.

We all seem to have satnavs now, so we won't get lost!

Try asking it to re-route via the scenic route, be adventurous and enjoy the scenery.

Pat
>>Try asking it to re-route via the scenic route, be adventurous and enjoy the scenery.<<

My trouble is, I've seen it all before - more times than I can count. If that seems like an exaggeration, it isn't.
 Driving Pleasure ? - sooty123
> My trouble is, I've seen it all before - more times than I can count.
>> If that seems like an exaggeration, it isn't.
>>
>>

There must be some parts of the UK back roads you've not seen before?
The subject was, I thought, the Westcountry
>> The subject was, I thought, the Westcountry
>

My fault I thought it was about the back roads in general.
 Driving Pleasure ? - Zero

>> We all seem to have satnavs now, so we won't get lost!
>>
>> Try asking it to re-route via the scenic route, be adventurous and enjoy the scenery.

I was deeply impressed with the performance of Google Maps on my Devon holiday. Delighted by the fact it was prepared to utilise all the available c and unlisted roads where appropriate to avoid jams even to the extent of using the tidal road between Bigbury and Aveton Gifford because the tide was out.
 Driving Pleasure ? - Pat
Yes, we were impressed with the V90 sat nav the other week.

We went across from Ieper to Le Touquet and asked it go via the scenic route. We found it even took us on a circular tour of small villages to see a monument or something of interest.

It managed to find a lovely cobbled road running high up where we could look down on where we would have gone without it.

Pat
 Driving Pleasure ? - Dog
I prefur to go out on my pony (Shank's) these days and have just spent on a pair of Italian (Zamberlan) walking boots what could get me a car with a years ticket, reclining seats, and two-speed windscreen vipers on the bay.

Gotta drive to Fowey in south Cornwall next week to see this geezer [ 4th from left, called Mark :( ]
www.noahsarkdental.co.uk/
I shall enjoy that drive, especially at this time of the year now that all the clowns have gorn 'ome.

:o)
>>>Gotta drive to Fowey in south Cornwall next week

By amazing chance I have tabs open on this PC for cottages in Fowey for our 2018 "clown tour".... even further along the pony tracks than this year's aforementioned trip to Devon. If we do book travel will be undertaken in the evening arriving at midnight to our parking space with hardly a thought of trying to move the car for two weeks.
>>for our 2018 "clown tour"....
>>

There's enough clowns in Cornwall already, ain't that right Dog?

;-)
The attraction of Fowey is boating of course... so if you happen to be at the dentist next July Dog and you see me do say hello... www.jumpingfrog.com/images/postcards260/pst8049.jpg

BTW no grumbles from boating folks it's out of trim... normally Mrs F is in the bow and it's just fine.
Quite pleasant driving at times around here, especially on the back roads if you know where to go, many of the roads don't have sign posts. Lots of flat straight roads with little traffic so if one is inclined to press it's easy to do.
 Driving Pleasure ? - Dog
Fowey is very nice IMO. Wife's bossman took her on his yacht there a few times (aye, aye!)
Bought our first property in Cornwall 20 years ago from a chap who was a builder, transcendental meditation guru (££££) and sailing instructor, sailing mainly out of Fowey. He's 'done' the Atlantic to the Caribbean, even done island hopping in the pacific. Last I heard of him he was living in Northumberland.

Dunno if I'll be going back to that dentist really. all depends how I get on with young Mark. He does the NHS work so tis limited what you can have done - I refuse to fork out for private treatment as I've paid in to the NHS system for 50 years :)
 Driving Pleasure ? - Dog
>>There's enough clowns in Cornwall already, ain't that right Dog?

'specially this geezer Cheeseman: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjVr3aAFKzo
Hehe ...

Where's Jethro to these days?
 Driving Pleasure ? - Dog
>>Where's Jethro to these days?

dunno.
>> >>Where's Jethro to these days?
>>
>> dunno.
>>

Thought you'd know him. He's still standing up, though maybe not doing stand up ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jethro_(comedian)
 Driving Pleasure ? - Dog
Course I know (of) Jethro, born in St. Buryan, lot of witches & Pagans down that neck-of-the-woods (Hiya Pat!)

Based in England (Devon) now, musta made too much money!
 Driving Pleasure ? - Pat
Have you looked at Airbnb Fenlander?

This may not be big enough for you but it is situated right next door to the car park with the slipway on the doorstep!

www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/17871836?location=Fowey&s=Lru8nX87

Pat
Pat that's kind of you to link a good possibility.

Exceptional location but you're right a bit small for us. Our 20yr old still holidays with us and the 22yr old usually joins us for part of the period plus we have the car sized boat and all the associated kit so need a place with 2/3 bedrooms and parking for 2 cars with a garden/yard.

It's a hard ask to find somewhere affordable in that part of the world to meet out needs.
 Driving Pleasure ? - MD
Quite a pretty bunch Perro.
 Driving Pleasure ? - Dog
Can you spot the private wallers charging: www.noahsarkdental.co.uk/fees/
 Driving Pleasure ? - Manatee
In some respects the golden era of motoring is over - but not as over as it will be for my grandchildren of course.

Congestion is no longer just about bank holidays and rush hours. And 50 limits on wide, open 'A' roads in Oxfordshire for example seem unnecessary to me - and do detract. Not because I need to go much faster, but I don't want to go much more slowly and I would enjoy it more if I could focus on driving safely and considerately rather then constantly checking my speed to make sure I don't stray over in the clear, straight sections where the "safety" camera will inevitably be situated.

That is a good place to put it to deter or catch the 100+ biker, but what does it avail to give 3 points and £100 fine to someone trying to drive safely and briefly exceeding 55mph?

Howsomever. I just settle to dealing with the situation as it is, as far as I can, and focus on the safe and considerate aspect, two hands on the wheel, actively thinking about road positioning, speed, and picking up hazards early. There is some satisfaction in that, as a means of avoiding irritation not just at low limits but at congestion and inconsiderate or poor drivers. I also find it less tiring than getting on edge.

CGN makes a valid point, attitude makes a big difference. Most of the "idiots" are just ignorant, thoughtless or stupid rather than wilfully bad. I might still mutter "twit" or similar but I generally manage not to be angry, on the basis that it will only shorten my life without having any effect on theirs.

There are still areas, even in the UK, where driving is enjoyable. Here in the south, I get up early if I want a good drive. I set off a couple of Saturdays ago to Snetterton at 5.30am. It's not a great drive, A421/428/14/11 but it was certainly quiet.

We have better cars to enjoy now. Well, I do:)
>> CGN makes a valid point, attitude makes a big difference. Most of the "idiots" are
>> just ignorant, thoughtless or stupid rather than wilfully bad.>>

I agree, I have said before that the driving test should be as much about attitude as aptitude, and it's not even very much about the latter it seems to me.
>> but what does it avail to give 3 points and £100 fine to someone trying to drive safely and briefly exceeding 55mph?

Isn't that what average speed cameras are intended to resolve?

However, let me tell you about the other side of the fence;

In Chile the speed limits range from 18mph around schools, 31mph in residential areas, 62mph on the equivalent of A Roads and 75mph on the equivalent of Motorways.

Not unreasonable except for one thing; They are not enforced, *ever*.

Police *never* stop a car with a car. The only way they stop a car is to flag it down at the side of the road. And this is only for a document check.

Traffic lights are never enforced, speed limits are never enforced, [And when I say "never", I have seen one speed trap in 20 years], even one-way streets are never enforced. .

There are no enforcement cameras for anything. Not traffic lights, speeding.

There is *no* traffic enforcement at all.

And you are 50 times more likely to die on the roads here than you are in the UK. Driving is stressful and needs constant vigilance. When the lights go green, *then* you check to see if nothing is coming - and there usually is. You'll even see one of those huge long bendy buses hit a red traffic light at a crossroads in a 30 limit and blow through them at 50mph.

Suicidal overtaking is the norm, tailgating, swerving in an out of traffic lanes, on the pavement etc. etc.

One of these days I'll post a video from the dashcam, just so you can see what it is like.

I would love to have a regime of cameras such as exists in the UK. Any level of enforcement would help.

Except for one thing; if you are stopped, and if you do not have the correct documentation then you are in the s***; if you do not have your licence then you will be arrested. If you do not have the car's documentation (equiv. of V5, MOT, RFL and Insurance) then your car will be impounded. And the fines are huge. To give you an idea the equivalent of an M&S shop assistant will earn around £500 per month. The most trivial offence here carries a minimum fine of around £100. They can be a month's pay.

They do sometimes have roadblocks. And then they will check all documentation, breath test, and that's about it.

There is a massive police presence though. But they are their to control, not enforce. So they will direct traffic, for example around an accident and you *must* obey their instructions, but you can jump a red light in front of them and they will do nothing.
Missed the edit, please ignore their/there.
 Driving Pleasure ? - Dog
You musta gorn to the same school as Dunc.

:-D
That is astonishing NFM. Clearly it's a control mechanism with malign aims and/or no feedback loop. But why?

There must be a reason why government, which presumably controls the law and its enforcement, has not taken 30 seconds to ponder why its citizens are being slaughtered at an outrageous rate and done something about it.

Perhaps the government has malign aims or is not in fact in charge?
>> Is there any driving pleasure left ?

As it happens, Yes.

Just spent 7 very enjoyable days mooching around the Devon / Cornwall border, Atlantic Coast, Channel Coast, ferries, tidal roads, hills, dales, narrow roads, wet fords.

Pubs, beaches, remote areas, lot of coastal walking.

All Mae possible by about 6-700 miles of very enjoyable mostly hassle free motoring.

Speed limits? Just spent the day on the A38/A303 driving at the speed I felt safe and to make progress. Most of it camera free.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 29 Sep 17 at 20:58
 Driving Pleasure ? - Ted

I enjoy some motoring still. I've patrolled this city in one form or another for over 50 yrs and still like nipping around using all the little short cuts unknown by lesser mortals. I'm more at ease in a bigger car or on a motorbike...the 1.2 auto Micra of SWM's doesn't suit me at all but I really look forward to taking the 2 litre Auto Rav out. Best of all is the classic. different skills in driving a skinny cross plied, column change with minimum toys and drum brakes where arrangements have to be made to stop. I'm just as happy in the garage tinkering with it, Classic FM on, with a couple of cigars handy. Just in the middle of fitting Magnatech ignition and have recently finished re-timing the crank/camshaft and valves. A pleasant way to keep out of the rain/wife's way.

Best days for me were sunny evenings 50 yrs ago when SWM to be and I used to take the Herald 12/50, hood down, around the Cheshire lanes and do a bit of window shopping in small towns like Knutsford or Humphwich.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be !
 Driving Pleasure ? - Dog
>>Nostalgia ain't what it used to be !

Reminds me of my first car - a deep royal blue with white (ish) hood Triumf Herald 948cc with twin SU's.

Cost me £30 ... and the same amount for the chassis welding.

Tis that car which got me into fiddling about with stuff under the bonnet (playing about with the advance/retard adjustment on the distributor and fiddling about with the jets and dashpots on the carbs) and which much later got me into earning a crust from tuning cars, vans, and even a few lorries (Bedford) with petrol injuns.
 Driving Pleasure ? - Runfer D'Hills
Depends on my mood or the needs of the day. For a long journey when I need to feel relaxed on arrival, then a big, comfortable, easy to drive car is ideal. For a bit of fun, I like a nippy little hatchback you have to work to get the best from. But for outright four wheel thrills, nothing I've ever had before or since, could even come close to the visceral, raw, seat of the pants rush of my Westfield. That was pleasure on a different scale. Neck snapping acceleration, other worldly handling, no driver aids, powered nothing, just you and the machine.
MX5 is a little like that. Weight has clearly been pared down to the minimum. It has DSC and b***** lane depart...! Who in the name of reason wants "Lane Depart" on a motor like this ? A car designed to modify bends ! It has a switch though
 Driving Pleasure ? - zippy
Headed down from Ellesmere Port to Swansea across Wales rather than use the motorways.

Very enjoyable and with some great views and some twisty bends.
A470 can be a fine road (on a bike) or a quickish car.
I had to get somewhere and back quickly this morning, about a 20 mile round trip using country roads. Took the Merc. It doesn't really like to be rushed. You can really feel the sheer size and weight of it when pushing on. Not that it wasn't comfortable, and actually more than capably fast, but I definitely detected a certain petulance from it at being asked to emulate a sports car, it seemed to resent it.

;-)
>> I definitely detected a certain
>> petulance from it at being asked to emulate a sports car, it seemed to resent
>> it.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

You need a BMW ;-)
Or a 2011 Focus 1.6 diesel. Something that won’t complain when you wring that final lb/ft of torque from it. As you say, a small, nimble underpowered car for the (almost) ultimate driving machine
 Driving Pleasure ? - Bromptonaut
Still plenty of B roads and lesser A's locally which are a pleasure. One is the B4525 from Banbury to Northampton. The current route from Thorpe Mandeville to the A43 is pleasant enough but the old line through Moreton Pinckney and Canons Ashby to Litchborough is better. Neither of current cars really likes being hustled but my old 205, albeit a diesel, was great fun to chuck through that route.
>>> about a 20 mile round trip using country roads. Took the Merc. It doesn't really like to be rushed. You can really feel the sheer size and weight of it when pushing on.... detected a certain petulance from it at being asked to emulate a sports car, it seemed to resent it.

We have a similar back road 10ml run to town.... and that exactly describes my old 5-series Estate. It will do it but it's all a bit ungainly and the ESP keeps wagging its finger. Far better on roads where it's not asked to do anything spectacular below 60mph.

Mrs F's CLK is potentially far more capable... with its sport setup far less roll and immense grip on the stupid size tyres... but it needs more power than the 220CDi.

My old 156 was perfection on such a run and oddly these days the most pleasure on that route is my daughter's 12yr old Polo with the GTi type alloy/tyre upgrade... only a 1.4 petrol but a combination of ragging it and conservation of speed can get it across those 10mls with far more enjoyment than either of our own cars.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 1 Oct 17 at 13:51
Funny you should say that. I actually prefer such a trip in my son's Aygo. Despite its matchbox sized engine, it's very willing in a noisy sort of a way, and you can just rag it about without too much fear for the health of your licence or stuffing it through a hedge.
I could suggest an answer to this but you know what it is, and you wouldn't get many shoes or bikes in it!
Only yesterday I had three pairs of trail shoes in my Focus. And it’s carried bikes. So you’re wrong Manatee
Humph, anything to do with the Merc being an automatic and therefore not having that same driver involvement in the country roads that a manual would give?
>> Humph, anything to do with the Merc being an automatic and therefore not having that
>> same driver involvement in the country roads that a manual would give?

No its more to do with the fact its a fat heavy bulbous old barge with two slaves short in the rowing department.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 2 Oct 17 at 08:35
At least it’s a proper blokes car, despite the shortage of cylinders ( TIC)... I’m about to rent another 1.0 3 cyl Focus from Alicante and will doubtless be impressed again by that engine
>> At least it’s a proper blokes old mans car,
At least it's not green...
;-)
>> At least it's not green...
>> ;-)
>>

Good point ;-)
 Driving Pleasure ? - Duncan
>> >> Humph, anything to do with the Merc being an automatic and therefore not having
>> that
>> >> same driver involvement in the country roads that a manual would give?
>>
>> No its more to do with the fact its a fat heavy bulbous old barge
>> with two slaves short in the rowing department.

Your envy is becoming rather obvious.

>> Your envy is becoming rather obvious.

If all I had to look forward to was the Lancer, or the viking long boat, that is entirely possible. Its not so its not.
tinyurl.com/mpv8pq6
Z has said that needs to think of another handle.

Kermit, that's ideal ;-)
>> Humph, anything to do with the Merc being an automatic and therefore not having that
>> same driver involvement in the country roads that a manual would give?
>>

An auto with manual option, close ratios and paddles can be very involving.
>> Humph, anything to do with the Merc being an automatic...

Not really, it has flappy paddles too so you can drive it as a manual, if you can be bothered. It also has "sports" suspension so the handling is pretty tight. It is unpowered though, noticeably so by comparison to my old 250. Great wafter in its defence, but it doesn't like to be hurried. In some ways, I prefer the old 5 speed box to the 7 speeder in the "new" one. The 7 speed box never quite seems to be sure which gear it wants, and hunts about a bit too much in that sort of situation. Popping it into "S" mode helps a bit of course, as that causes it to hang on to a lower gear a bit longer. In short, it's just not at its best being thrown down a country lane. It is though, fairly much perfect on a long cruise.

No, I think it's more that I enjoy the simplicity and rawness of a small basic car on the back roads. You have to work much harder to get the best from it, but that's sort of the fun of it I suppose.

51.7 mpg average over the last 20 odd thousand miles in the Merc mind. Not too shabby for such a big car and the use it gets. Horses for courses as they say...
 Driving Pleasure ? - commerdriver
>> In some ways, I prefer the old 5 speed box to the 7 speeder in the "new" one.
>>
Humph,
You may be the wrong person to ask this question of. How many gears do you have on your bike?

and how many do you use most days you go out cycling?

I know I, as a "normal" local road cyclist use, at most, half of the available gears on the bike. I think, in any vehicle, there is an optimum number of gears, before the complexity and hassle outweighs the performance/economy advantages.
>>and how many do you use most days you go out cycling?

He doesnt use any - he just carries his bike to the top of hills and then freewheels back down them.
Certainly don't carry it up. That's the preserve of specialist downhill bikes with extra long travel suspension. More or less impossible to climb hills on them.

But in answer to the question, my current bike has 27 gears, although the latest models have as few as 11 for the very reasons you give and indeed to save weight and complexity. I probably use about half of mine on any kind of regular basis. Very rarely use the lowest of the three main ratios, even when climbing on the rough. I prefer a slower pedalling cadence, by default using more power slowly and rhythmically, as opposed to lots of fast effort to get nowhere. For me, especially as the years advance, my objective is to keep my respiration and heart rate as low as I can so I don't tire too quickly. Relying instead on keeping steady rhythmic power through my legs. Hare and tortoise approach to climbing and save the little remaining energy for the downhill and (only occasionally now!) airborne sections.
Actually took me ages to master the act of cycling uphill on my pedals for the reasons you gave.

I used to keep seated and work my way down the gears and then when I needed more grunt I would get up on the pedals. But of course by then my feet were spinning too fast which is a recipe for failure if up on pedals!
Yeah, I know it's different on the road, but on a loose surface you really need to keep your bum on the seat when climbing, to ensure your back wheel doesn't spin out. What happens next when that occurs is never the greatest pleasure...If on a really steep climb, there is a very uncomfortable but effective technique called "nosing" which basically involves pushing your weight through the front or "nose" of the saddle to keep weight on the back wheel but simultaneously ensuring your weight is far enough forward to avoid toppling over backwards.

The comparison between 7, 8 or 9 ratios in a car and 20+ on a cycle is really irrelevant.

With three front chain rings and anything between 5 and 10 on the rear (I don't think 3 x 11 has been done) means that you have a very wide spread between small front ring and big back cog and big front ring and small back cog though with quite a few duplicate ratios in between. For instance on my old 21 speed hybrid (3 x 7) I usually use the middle ring on the front and the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th cogs on the rear though if I select the big front ring then I find that the 3rd cog on the rear is a very similar ratio to the middle front ring and the 5th rear cog.

My road bike has two front rings and nine rear cogs (2x9) and seems to have fewer similar ratios though 18 ratios in total are still more than necessary. I use to road race, time trial and hill climb with five ratios on the 70's.

With the advent of 11 speed rear hubs there is a move to again only use one front ring so you have 11 useable ratios with added lightness an simplicity.
 Driving Pleasure ? - Dutchie
Uphill I take it down to the lowest gear on my bicycle.

When we where kids used to stand on the pedals cycling uphill.Not many hills in Holland so no worry.I've noticed over there the bicycles without handle bar brakes are back in favour.

You have to push the pedal back to brake that is how I learned on the old bicycles.It takes a while getting used to again.

Driving in any town is a pain.Picking up the granddaughter from school it took me forever to cover a few miles.
 Driving Pleasure ? - Dog
Yep, there's still pleasure to be had from driving. Jist returned from the dentist in Fowey, south Cornwall.
Luvly morning, winding roads, relatively little traffic at this time of the year (the best time!) and (wait for it, wait for it)
The sun was out!!

The dentist (NHS) was okay, gotta go back next month for a 45 min appointment :(
Latest Forum Posts