Motoring Discussion > DVLA / MOT check Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PeterS Replies: 34

DVLA / MOT check - PeterS
Might be useful to some - the DVLA site that lets you check MOT history has been updated. You don’t need to input make and model now, and more usefully you can set up email or text reminders for a month before the MOT is due

www.check-mot.service.gov.uk
www.reminders.mot-testing.service.gov.uk

As an aside, I checked a few of our old cars... the 2007 A4 cabriolet has never failed an MOT!
 DVLA / MOT check - Falkirk Bairn
>> checked a few of our old cars

A year ago I passed, going the other way, by my 2001 Civic which had 93K on the clock in 2007.
It had no Mot for 2 years, was not on Askmid as insured,
 DVLA / MOT check - Hard Cheese

>> As an aside, I checked a few of our old cars... the 2007 A4 cabriolet
>> has never failed an MOT!
>>

Our 2005 120i has never failed an MOT.
 DVLA / MOT check - devonite
Just checked my current Octavia, first test 2011 - pass, next test 2015 - pass then 2016 - pass, what probably happened between 2011 and 15? according to service history it "appears" to have been in use!
 DVLA / MOT check - Roger.
There's quite a neat app for Android - MOT History - which will do that for you without going onto the DVLA site.
 DVLA / MOT check - VxFan
>> There's quite a neat app for Android - MOT History

The App "My Car Check" also does it, as well as telling you when the tax is due.
 DVLA / MOT check - CGNorwich
Surely no car should fail its MOT if properly maintained and serviced certainly not a ten year old vehicle.
I’ve seen a 4 year old BMW (my fathers...) fail on corroded brake lines. An ‘06 car serviced and MOT’ed at a BMW dealer.

In my experience a lot of garages will MOT a car before it’s serviced, fix and then retest even if you ask for them to fix then test. Helps there stats I suppose...going to look suspicious if everything passes!
 DVLA / MOT check - Manatee
>> In my experience a lot of garages will MOT a car before it’s serviced, fix
>> and then retest even if you ask for them to fix then test. Helps there
>> stats I suppose...going to look suspicious if everything passes!

The chap who looked after my cars until he moved away always did that, even though he took them elsewhere to be tested.
 DVLA / MOT check - VxFan
>> Surely no car should fail its MOT if properly maintained and serviced certainly not a
>> ten year old vehicle.

You'd be surprised how many vehicles fail an MOT due to broken springs, but still drives perfectly ok.
 DVLA / MOT check - No FM2R
I don't think I've ever had a car fail an MOT which surprised me.

I've been startled by a couple of passes though.
I would hope that my garage would notice a broken spring even if I didn't which I think is unlikely

Until recently most of my cars were in the three to ten year old bracket. All were regularly serviced by garages and I don't recall any MOT fails, just a few advisories for items of which I was aware.

Most MOT fails are for things like tyres, light and wipers which are could be easily checked by the owners.
 DVLA / MOT check - VxFan
>> I would hope that my garage would notice a broken spring even if I didn't
>> which I think is unlikely

The garage noticed my 2 broken springs when it went in for servicing and an MOT. Offside front, and nearside rear. Must have happened at some point after the previous service and MOT (obviously). But no, I did not notice any difference in the handling. Most likely because the springs had broken right at the bottom of the coil on both of them and the majority of the coil was still there.
 DVLA / MOT check - bathtub tom
>> I would hope that my garage would notice a broken spring even if I didn't
>> which I think is unlikely

I'd looked querulously at one of my old cars for several weeks before an MOT because I thought it was leaning to one side. I thought it may had been a broken spring and had removed the wheels on the side I thought was low to have a look, but couldn't see anything wrong. I'd carefully measured the ride height each side and decided the driver's side was a little low, but put it down to it being a Jap which was mostly driven solo as the engine was that side.

At MOT the inspector asked if they could remove the front wheel on the low side and they found about 50mm broken off the bottom of the front spring (the bit was in the cup). They had to fail it as a result.
 DVLA / MOT check - Fenlander
>>>Surely no car should fail its MOT if properly maintained and serviced certainly not a ten year old vehicle.

Adding to VX's comment re springs (a common unnoticed issue)...

Actually 10yr old vehicles are capable of developing a raft of faults to cause a fail between MOTs. Whether they actually fail though depends if they are serviced the same day and prior to MOT so resolving the potential failures... or just chucked through the MOT to see what happens.

The only sure way to preven failure is for the DIYer or garage to carry out a full check representing the MOT immediately before.

I see no shame in MOT failures and when looking to buy and checking reg nos from the AT ads against the DVLA MOT records a car that has frequently passed tells me nothing... but failure reasons are very useful to know.
Ahh GCN I see you do ask or expect your garage to carry out a pre-MOT prior to the MOT... this should gain a pass every time.

BTW Richard that Cazana is useful the way it creates a timeline of MOT and other changes. It is totally accurate in every respect for my car.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 28 Sep 17 at 13:42
 DVLA / MOT check - Bromptonaut
>> Surely no car should fail its MOT if properly maintained and serviced certainly not a
>> ten year old vehicle.

A proper pre-MoT check should find most things but there will be hidden stuff like springs other's mention. My BX failed on a worn steering rack - wear was as extremity and only apparent on full left lock. Might also be differences of opinion on subjective matters like extent of corrosion whether in structure or brake pipes.

Another of mine failed on a broken indicator/lighting stalk. Worked perfectly well on all functions but lacked knob from end showing explanation of those functions.
 DVLA / MOT check - rtj70
>> A proper pre-MoT check should find most things but there will be hidden stuff like springs other's mention.

My Audi failed because of a slice through the side wall of a front tyre which was impossible to see until you got right under the car on the ramps. It had a puncture repair the week before so had been into Kwik Fit and they checked all the tyres but the don't put the car up as high as they do on the MOT ramp.

Mind I never saw the tyre with the gash in it... just saying ;-)
 DVLA / MOT check - VxFan
>> A proper pre-MoT check

I always thought there was no such thing as a pre MOT check. It's a proper MOT that's carried out, and you'll either get a pass or fail.
 DVLA / MOT check - Zero
>> ten year old vehicle.

What rot, any car with a full service history can fail its mot for a multitude of reasons unseen and unnoticed by anyone.

The Lancer failed once on a broken drop link.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 28 Sep 17 at 17:16
I dare say that there are a few examples where problems can go unnoticed by either the owner or competent mechanic servicing the vehicle but most failures are for things that could and should easily be spotted.
I looked again; not only has it never failed, it’s only had one advisory in all that time, and that was to state that there was an under tray in place obscuring some components. That’s the factory fitted under tray... ;)

The A3 we bought at a similar time had advisories at its first MOT, after 35k miles...
Offside Rear Shock absorber has a light misting of oil (2.7.3)
front discs corroded
rear discs corroded

The following year, with 39k miles and no further work or servicing it had a different advisory - rear brake discs corroded and offside rear has damage to outer face.

We sold it in 2011; it failed an MOT in 2015 - Nearside Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
It’s currenly not MOT’ed...
 DVLA / MOT check - Cliff Pope
>> ten year old vehicle.
>>

When you take your car for an MOT do you go round checking that all the lights work before you leave it, in case one has just failed?

Yed
 DVLA / MOT check - Cliff Pope
>> Yes
>>

You drive to the MOT test, park in the MOT space, and then go round the car checking that no lights have failed in the last 10 minutes while you were driving there?
Gosh, you really must be retired. :)

I check everything the day before, but still I've had a brake light etc fail on the way there. The tester just picks it up and fits a new one, or if he's feeling uncooperative he sells me one on the spot when I return fom shopping and says you fit it.

Looking back on my cars' MOT histories I see that one of a pair of number plate lights failed like that in 2005. That's hardly neglected maintenance is it, or driving a car in an unroadworthy condition?
 DVLA / MOT check - Harleyman
>> When you take your car for an MOT do you go round checking that all
>> the lights work before you leave it, in case one has just failed?
>>
>>
The vast majority of motorists don't check their lights at all in my experience; in fact I'd be surprised if half of them check anything from one year to the next. This is made most obvious around this time of year, when drivers start to use lights more often on the daily commute.

Said this before, but it's high time DVSA started pulling ALL vehicles for obvious faults like blown bulbs instead of just concentrating on HGV's. My guess is that it would catch a lot without MOT, insurance and licences. The much-vaunted ANPR system plainly doesn't work in that respect.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Fri 29 Sep 17 at 09:31
 DVLA / MOT check - VxFan
>> The vast majority of motorists don't check their lights at all in my experience;

I have pulled alongside someone before now to mention that none of their brake lights were working, to get a reply back saying "it's ok, the MOT isn't due yet"

Bonkers.

And then there are those drivers who have a headlight failure and thinking that putting on the foglights is an acceptable remedy. Same applies with tail lights too.

Like you say, someone should be pulling these lazy motorists over, and issuing a fine if they haven't rectified the blown bulb(s) within a certain amount of time.
 DVLA / MOT check - henry k
>>Like you say, someone should be pulling these lazy motorists over, and issuing a fine if they haven't rectified the blown bulb(s) within a certain amount of time.
>>
Its white goods innit!
I tend to agree with a " get it fixed" warning but then what?

IMO car makers want a prod to revert to simple access to conventional bulbs.
I have never had a problem changing bulbs until my " latest car"
Prior to that ,rear lights , no tools needed to unclip the rear lamp covers
Contrary to what HJ says I could easy remove the front light units on my MkII Mondeo in under 5 mins.

Today, My X type is a pain to change bulbs especially the front ones.
Loads of stuff on the forums about it. Remove the battery, fashion a piece of wire as a clip remover, get the kids or SWMO to use their smaller hands, Many say far easier to remove the front bumper for easy access to front bulbs.
Rear light access hidden behind carpet and I have yet to explore.
Headlight adjusters crumble so lights cannot be adjusted and Jaguar do not make replacement so .
whole new double headlight or read the forums for a £20 fix from Poland.

I know other brands are a problem.
No idea re modern LEDs HIds etc. I suspect mega bills
>> Today, My X type is a pain to change bulbs especially the front ones.
>>

The X-Type was based on the Mondeo III though less satisfactory in some respects, on the Mondeo you open the bonnet, pull out two pins per headlight unit and the whole unit come out making it a 1 min job to change any of the bulbs, and it doesn't affect the adjustment as the pins locate the unit very accurately, a great system I have not seen bettered.

>>> My X type is a pain to change bulbs especially the front ones.

A common MOT fail these days is beam misalignment... when fitting the bulb is such a struggle folks fail to get them to seat properly.

On most modern vehicles little excuse for a bulb out given it will alert you on the dash... I was surprised the other day even Mrs F's 10yr old CLK indicated which of the two no plate bulbs was blown which is some detail.

Also interested that the code reader gave details of every blown bulb in the 40k since it was last code read/cleared.
 DVLA / MOT check - henry k
>>A common MOT fail these days is beam misalignment... when fitting the bulb is such a struggle folks fail to get them to seat properly.
>>
Plus retrofitted HIDs should be a failure but it appears that if the beam alignment on the test is OK then it passes .
The fact that there is no auto leveling ( a legal requirement) is s not of concern.

The Jaguar forum is littered with details and recommendations re fitting HIDs as the dip beams are poor.
Retrofitting auto leveling is so complex the cost would almost definitely be more than most X Types are worth.
 DVLA / MOT check - VxFan
>> The fact that there is no auto leveling ( a legal requirement) is s not of concern.

I don't actually think it's a legal requirement, other than if the auto levelling is fitted, then it has to work. Not fitted, then not a problem.

Some cars with HIDs from the assembly line didn't have auto adjusters. Hence why it can't be enforced. EDIT - older Renault Meganes and at least one Mitsubishi Evo didn't have auto adjusters or headlight washers.

I had an aftermarket HID kit fitted to my old Vectra, which had projector headlights that correctly focused the beam pattern. I used to regularly get flashed by other motorists with H7 halogen bulbs fitted, before upgrading to the HIDs. In the 6 or 7 years the HIDs were fitted, I only probably only got flashed once or twice. The headlights were actually designed for HIDs. Maybe that was why with H7 halogen bulbs fitted the beam pattern wasn't correct which resulted in more flashing from other motorists, despite being a dimmer light.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 29 Sep 17 at 13:14
 DVLA / MOT check - RichardW
I've started using cazana.com (no, that's not a spam link!) It gives the MOT history (albeit not the exact date) but also tax status, changes of reg keeper, and also plate changes if it's been on a different plate.
>> I've started using cazana.com (no, that's not a spam link!) It gives the MOT history (albeit not the exact date) but also tax status, changes of reg keeper, and also plate changes if it's been on a different plate.
>>

Reckon there is almost too much info on there - it's no one else's business when a private plate was applied and when it was taken off again, IMO the only relevant info that should to be public is MOT history (date passed and mileage), date of first reg and date of keeper changes.
 DVLA / MOT check - sooty123
Had a look at cazana, quite handy and pretty accurate with the mileage as well.
Latest Forum Posts