Motoring Discussion > A nice problem to have Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Slightlyfatdirector Replies: 46

A nice problem to have - Slightlyfatdirector
So, we are considering replacing our lovely VW Eos after 7 years excellent service.

It is the 200hp 2.0 turbo petrol manual and it is the car my wife mainly drives. It has only done less than 37k miles (2008 plate), and whilst we could keep it, my wife will be driving more than normal for the next year or so and wants something new that is as safe, quick and very grippy, and we are fortunate to be in a position to treat her to something new / nearly new.

We have decided on 4 wheel drive and we have pretty much settled on a Golf R. 300 / 310 horses depending on year, 4 wheel drive, and almost certainly an auto.

She does not want a 4 x 4 styled like a 4 x 4, and she also does not want to be driving something any bigger than the Eos.

Does anyone have any experience of these Golf's?

I can hardly see any criticism online other than it is not as extreme as a Focus RS / Civic Type R, but that suits us fine. We will be using it for the school run and shopping, not for the track.

We have test driven a manual (big grins) with a test drive lined up of a DSG tomorrow.

My wife has always wanted an Audi, but both of us has the impression that the S3 equivalent to the Golf is more of a magnet for theft than the Golf, and we want the car to be safe both to drive and also safe for us when tucked up in bed.....

The Golf is a lot more discrete and subtle with it's styling (that appeals to us - we love a Q-car...), but is our perception of the S3 being a magnet to dodgy geezers likely to break into our house for the keys down to watching too many 'Police' themed reality programs where every other fast car chase seems to involve an S3?

We will soon be moving, and to a house with parking behind a tall gate screening the house from the road, not that this makes us immune to theft of course...

We would probably install a tracker, but reducing the attractiveness to tea-leafs is a consideration.

Thoughts from the forum?

On an extension to the subject, the trade-in figures for the Eos are not good, and are easily beaten by WBAC where we will probably have to go.

I am not sure that I have the time and patience to go through the pain of privately selling the Eos through the normal channels, but it pains my wife that the car that she has loved and I have kept well looked after (main dealer VW services every year, including all the roof treatments to ensure it is watertight and reliable) will just disappear into a faceless organisation paying peanuts, and not go to someone that would cherish it. Might it appeal to any forum members I wonder who would be prepared to pay a bit more than the WBAC price but still less than full market value?

Just a thought....

Cheers all.
 A nice problem to have - legacylad
I shall email my brother...his wife is thinking of changing her Fiat 500 soft top for a 4 seat convertible
 A nice problem to have - rtj70
The Golf R is certainly a Q car and I would imagine is fun and safe to drive. I'm not too fussed on the wheel design. If you debadged it, it could pass as a GTI.

I can see why you might not want an S3 (a saloon S3 would be nice) because of it's nickability.

I think I am right in saying the new Golf R's comes with a 7 speed DSG but that has not always been the case. They used to have a 6 speed wet clutch DSG.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 14 Sep 17 at 17:29
 A nice problem to have - Manatee
The Golf R is anything but a Q car, and definitely not in the exclusive Lapiz Blue. Very nickable I should think. I spotted one not half an hour ago from across the breadth of the Morrisons car park.

There has been a 7 speed higher torque wet clutch DSG for some time - there's one in my daughter's 2012 Avant 3.0D.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 14 Sep 17 at 17:44
 A nice problem to have - Lygonos
What Manatee says.

Very, very, very nickable - usually by break-in and key theft.

If you want one, the best deals are the leases that pop up from time to time: try hotukdeals.com - www.hotukdeals.com/tag/golf-r

Mate got one for around £1200 down, and £200/mth for 10k miles over 2 years.

Not been stolen and he loves it.
 A nice problem to have - Zero
Golf R is high on the scroats knick list, as much as, possibly more than the S3
 A nice problem to have - Boxsterboy
>> I shall email my brother...his wife is thinking of changing her Fiat 500 soft top
>> for a 4 seat convertible
>>

Is the EOS a soft top??
Its a folding metal hard-top, so warm, safe and secure when wet and cold, and very open when warm and dry. Still some boot space left when roof down, and you can even get suitcases that fit in that space..
Sorry to report but my brother has replied negatively. He would really like an Eos for his wife, but she is happy with her 69hp 1.2 Fiat 500 canvas topped mobile.
Strange but whenever they go out in it together he always drives... she hates driving. Won't drive at night, on motorways, if any ice on the screen ( he has to drive her to work) and not keen on dual carriageways!
In which case they should buy it, or something similar.
Hey ho
Thanks LL.

If I was a nervous driver I would feel intrinsically safer in the bigger Eos than the 500 rag-top just because of sheer size difference, and having 200hp under the bonnet gives you the power to avoid dodgy situations too, but I completely understand, and thanks for checking, it is appreciated!

My wife drives so much less now and lacks some of the confidence she used to have. Does not like driving in the dark at all....
 A nice problem to have - PeterS
The Golf R, as others have said, is frequently (relatively speaking) stolen. The BMW one series is available in x-drive, though I'm not sure which engines. The 120d and M140 certainly (though I imagine that too is quite nickable), but I'm not sure if it's available with other engines. The 120d is around 200bhp I think, and the 140 is 340
 A nice problem to have - DP
M140i is more subtle than the Golf R, faster, more fun, and has an engine to die for. Silver door mirror caps, twin exhausts and the lack of front foglights (to make way for a second radiator) are all that visually differentiate it from a 116d M-Sport.
 A nice problem to have - HensTeeth
Sounds a wonderful car to drive but, perhaps depending on where you live and park, not to own. Thread here on another site www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1695717 originally about the S3, but it seems the Golf R is incredibly popular with lowlife too.
 A nice problem to have - Avant
I think Mrs SFD needs to test drive the BMW as well as the Golf R and S3, to see which she prefers - particularly as the BMW can also be had as a 2-series convertible.

If my 'fun car' - a 2010 125i convertible - is anything to go by, she'll find the BMW steering heavier than the VW or Audi, but may prefer it. But I don't think these come with X-drive even as new, so if she fancies a 4wd BMW it would have to be a 3-series.

Someone may come on here and suggest the SEAT Leon Cupra, but personally I think the feel-good factor of the Golf or A3 makes them worth the extra. I'd go with one of these but avoid the largest wheels and specify either adaptive or non-sports suspension.

A nice problem to have - Hard Cheese
The M140i is not available in the UK as X-Drive, or wasn't last time I looked, I looked at Golf R, S3, and RS3 (I know 3 people who have one) before buying the M135i and the BMW has much more character, is more subtle and more tasteful IMO, the four exhausts on the R and S3 being rather OTT. The RS3 engine is special though the BMW straight 6 is something else, it can play hot hatch though is as much a GT and is surprisingly economical.

If 4x4 is a must Golf R would be best value I reckon.
AMG A45? Or even a CLA45?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 15 Sep 17 at 00:49
A45 - Like the RS3, too expensive, very fast though not very chatacterful. The Audi 5 and BMW 6 sound much better.
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Fri 15 Sep 17 at 00:52
>> We have decided on 4 wheel drive and we have pretty much settled on a Golf R. 300 / 310
>> horses depending on year, 4 wheel drive, and almost certainly an auto.

If you are going for a Golf R which needs to be an auto means it's a DSG. And second hand ones might have been driven hard. Probably hard to tell. So I'd maybe get one new.
My mistake! I was convinced the M140i was now available in x-drive format in the UK, but a glance at the website says not. Perhaps I saw some in France?
The M140i/240i are available with xDrive in LHD markets. Apparently the lack of xDrive option for RHD markets is purely marketing led and not technical.
>> My mistake! I was convinced the M140i was now available in x-drive format in the
>> UK, but a glance at the website says not. Perhaps I saw some in France?

BMW's marketing in restricting availability of model types in the UK is slightly annoying.
Works tho, because i would have gone for a 530i x drive had there been one, like in Germany
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 15 Sep 17 at 21:13

>> If my 'fun car' - a 2010 125i convertible - is anything to go by,
>> she'll find the BMW steering heavier than er it.
>>

Our 2005 120i and my previous 2010 123d have/had heavy ish steering, I like it. The 2015 M135i is lighter in comfort mode and similarly heavy in sport mode.
>> Our 2005 120i and my previous 2010 123d have/had heavy ish steering, I like it.
>> The 2015 M135i is lighter in comfort mode and similarly heavy in sport mode.

Yep, there's a marked difference in weight depending on what mode you are in. You can also configure in the iDrive which aspects of the car the Sport mode affects (Chassis, drivetrain or both) so you can in theory have Sport mode throttle mapping with lighter Comfort steering (and softer dampers if you have Adaptive).

I've never bothered with any of this stuff personally, but I have seen the settings in there. I drive it most of the time in Comfort and auto, switching to paddles and Sport+ for more enthusiastic stuff. The auto box is far too dull witted in Comfort to be any use in press on driving, but is completely OTT in Sport / Sport + for normal A to B driving. If I had a manual car, I'd probably drive it everywhere in Sport+.
I do have a manual one (well, a 235i) and most of the time I drive it in comfort mode. Sport gives a better exhaust note, albeit it one that drones a little too much on the motorway, and sharper throttle response, but it's quite sharp enough for me in comfort mode most of the time. I rarely use 'sport +'
I'm enjoying the more relaxed stability control in Sport+. It lets the car move about a bit, but still gives you a bit of a safety net if you screw up. Grip and traction in the dry is phenomenal though.
Thanks all for the feedback.

As it stands, we (I say we, but mean my wife of course..:)) have ruled out the S3 on looks. The Merc is a lot more expensive, and looks like our daughters boyfriends car (he has a newish A class with all the body kit, etc to make it look like an AMG, although it is a 220d..)

We do not want a convertible anymore (my wife's head get's burned - long story..), and I will not have another BMW due to the pain of owning a 5-series from new to well over 100k miles which had clearly been built - as we would have said some years ago - on a Friday afternoon. Plagued with problems, so on principle, no...

We want 4 wheel drive so this brings us down to the Golf, and the more we look at it, the more we like it.

We took a 6,000 mile / one year old DSG version out on Friday at the local dealer, but at close to £30k, we think we just as well go for a new one, and just get the best deal.

I won't take out a lease or PCP, and will buy outright.

Now starts the negotiation, and picking the final options....... :)
Don't totally rule out a finance deal which you then settle early. You can get good contributions for deposit for some cars.
And if you've got an old banger somewhere to trade in the 'scrappage' discount is back from most manufacturers. The old Audi convertible might yet bite the dust ... ;)
>> And if you've got an old banger somewhere to trade in the 'scrappage' discount

Only diesels that are Euro I to IV qualify. And it needs to have been registered in your name for a certain period, i.e. you can't just get an old banger registered in your name and then get £4k off a Golf.
Apologies...slight thread drift, but I've just seen my first Audi Q2 parked outside our serviced residence in Grenoble. Probably 4WD, lovely looking imho, nowhere near as fast as a Golf R
 A nice problem to have - Runfer D'Hills
Yeah, but to be fair LL, you do have a bit of a thing for girly little 4x4s...

;-)
Are you referring to automobiles or group fun?
Having had a look at the Q2, it's the 2.0 TFSI with 190 chevaux. 0-60 in 6.5, 140mph so in'est pas une escargot. My French is lousy.
Inside of the Q2 is straight out of an A3.

I think it's 2wd and AWD depending on spec.
We thought the Q2 would have been perfect when we heard it was being mooted, but in the flesh we don't like them... All rather odd angular looks at the back that to my eye don't sit well with the front. Odd.

Getting to the Golf R was interesting, as I first saw a few on Motorpoint's website - our normal defacto place to get a new car (my wife's last car and two cars for the company were bought from there) and it looked like they had a few good ones with low miles and age at a really good price (they still have some now at £20-£21k). Our experience was 'different' this time, but I am in discussions with them abut this at the moment, so may comment on this further at a later date. Watch this space...

We had tried one at a VW dealer a little to the north of us and had a good test drive of a manual 36k miler at c. £19k. Great car, but we wanted one with less miles, and their trade-in for the EOS was derisory. They also start taking about charging us a 'buyers fee'.

Hang on a minute, I am buying a car and it has a price in the window and now you want to charge me more for the privilege of actually buying it from you?! Eh?

Then the (admittedly very nice) chap started listing all the other things he was going to charge us for, and we did not (surprisingly) feel so tempted.

We don't want a finance deal, as mortgage aside, I hate debt. I know there are lots of options, but I prefer to own something rather than rent it, and I don't want to pay interest on a fast depreciating asset either.

Discussing my wife's dodgy knees on the drive home made us think an auto might be better fr her long term, and her sore leg the next day decided that for us, but she has not driven an auto since our XJ-S convertible, and auto boxes are in a different league nowadays.

Our local dealer to the south had one, and we took it out on Friday.

Great cars. Everything you would want. Well built, good condition, goes like a rocket and feels like it would last a lifetime.

Slightly firm ride, but still very compliant, and for sure you could live with it every day, but when you want speed it is there, and when you need grip the 4Motion system gives it.

Nearly all the reviews I have read and watched on these cars is overwhelmingly positive, and we concur...

The only thing we were not keen on is that it is like the black hole of Calcutta inside these cars due to the black headlining (and everything else for that matter), and we would want the sunroof. The car we took out had this, and it is a 'must have' for us as it really lightens things up.

There were 6,000 miles on this one, and the price was OK, but it is a year old, does not have the newest updated dash, and a few other things, and so we decided if we are going to spend the thick-end of £30k, lets go new...

We will also expect to own this car for many years to come.

I got two brokers quotes last week, and I have asked the dealer (who bless 'im, called us yesterday on his day off to discuss) to match them, and he has a deal. I await his call back.

Depending on his reply, we can then finalize the very last details of options, but as it stands we want the Lapiz blue paint (I know it is a little loud, but it is sooo nice, and the other colours are either super-bland or impractical (black, grey white) or just awful (tumeric yellow)), and the panoramic roof.

If it does (and it better not) get nicked, then at least it is pretty distinctive for the Police to see in a sea of other Golf's on the road.....

Other options we are considering are the heated screen for faster mornings getting our daughter to school, but don't think we can justify over £1700 for leather seats, and it is otherwise so well kitted out as standard there seems little else to consider.

If this very nice man at the dealer cannot compete (and that would be fair enough if he can't), then we have another two local dealers, and if that does not get a positive response it looks like one of the long-established brokers will be getting our order.

As I say, it is a nice problem to have, but feels so different when you are spending this much of your own hard-earned cash. Makes me feel a little sick actually......
Please don't feel a little sick.... I've returned this evening from an enjoyable walk in the Alps, a 14 day walk taking in great scenery, lots of vigorous daily exercise and a total alcoholic ( and curry) detox. The friend I went with, with whom I haven't walked in mountain areas overseas for 15 years, normally walks with a group of 5 friends on this annual trip. Sadly, two of them have recently died of cancer in their early 60's, another... normally a superbly fit rock climber, has major problems with both knees, and the fourth has had a hip replacement gone wrong. Hence I was the substitute so he didn't walk alone.
So if you want to spend your hard earned on whatever gives you pleasure, then do so. ASAP.

>> So if you want to spend your hard earned on whatever gives you pleasure, then
>> do so. ASAP.

But not hill walking or rock climbing, because clearly it's not conducive to a long happy life
>> I've never bothered with any of this stuff personally, but I have seen the settings
>> in there. I drive it most of the time >>
>>

Mine's auto and adaptive, I drive it in "Sport" chassis and manual most of the time, using the lever around town and the paddles on the open road. I only occasionally use auto and if I also want "Sport" chassis I will configure it to "Sport" chassis and "Comfort" drivetrain as the "Sport" auto gearbox setting changes up too late IMO and the "S" gearbox setting (if you move the lever to the left though don't move it back or forth to implement "M" manual) is manic.

I'll occasionally waft in "Comfort" and usually use "Comfort" gearbox on the motorway (whether or not in "Sport" or "Comfort" chassis) as it does drone a little in "Sport".

I love the noise when starting it in "Sport" (turning on the ignition, selecting "Sport" and then starting it). In this regard I had a look an M2 this morning, I started it (though no test drive), it has basically the same N55 engine though sounds even more fruity! :-).

Sorry, thread drift ...
 A nice problem to have - Old Navy
So glad I can get in my car and just drive it, life's too short for all that faff! Good job it isn't an EV it's battery would be flat before it was ready to move. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 19 Sep 17 at 14:25
I felt slightly diddled that the Outlander didn't even have an "S" button for the transmission - but then it isn't a car with sporting pretensions. I just drive it, and enjoy it none the less. A very relaxing car. Occasionally use the steering column levers to change down for a bit of retardation from the engine down hills.

I have just signed an order for its polar (ha ha) opposite, an ex-demo Mazda MX5 Arctic. A nice problem finally solved, all being well on Friday.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mazda-mx-5-arctic-edition-revealed

Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 19 Sep 17 at 19:20
 A nice problem to have - Runfer D'Hills
Very nice Manatee! Delighted to see you intend to grow a bit older disgracefully. Would that that opportunity presents itself to me in due course!

;-)
Thanks Humph. I have absolutely no excuses, it's pure reckless expenditure.

I'll resist chattering about it further until I have actually got it...and apology to sfd for imposing on his thread.
 A nice problem to have - Pat
There are times in a persons life where it's nice to have what you want instead of a lifetime of what you need.

Enjoy it Manatee, the V90 came under that banner and we love it!

Pat
I hope so Runfer.
Maybe even one of the new fangled girly 4cyl Stuttgart jobbies, either the crocodile thingy or its soft top equivalent
Not quite as extreme as a Westfield, but doubtless fun nonetheless
Good point well made LL.

As they say, there are no pockets in a shroud....

It occurred to me recently that I work hard, but am not getting any younger, and we should be enjoying life now, rather then worrying excessively on the future.

I might keel over tomorrow (hopefully not - I am only 47!), or not be in a fit state to enjoy things, so we are starting to think more about enjoying some nice things in life now, and they needn't all be expensive. Even having a sit down in the garden is something we don't do nearly often enough, and that's free!

I am a bit jealous of the MX-5 Manatee. Looks lovely. Can't wait to hear more in due course.

My 'hiccup' with Motorpoint has been resolved with quick, fast and positive service by the way, so I will not comment on that further, and they are not off my Christmas card list :)
>>>Good point well made LL.

Of course I was referring to the earlier post you made about your hiking buddies, not your last one! :)
>> I love the noise when starting it in "Sport" (turning on the ignition, selecting "Sport"
>> and then starting it).

Ooh, guess what I'm going to try in the morning? ;-)
>> >> I love the noise when starting it in "Sport" (turning on the ignition, selecting
>> "Sport"
>> >> and then starting it).
>>
>> Ooh, guess what I'm going to try in the morning? ;-)
>>

Push the start button without your foot on the brake, then select sport, then put your foot on the brake snd push the start button ...
Latest Forum Posts