Motoring Discussion > Remote car key battery life Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuartli Replies: 56

Remote car key battery life - Stuartli
Just a minor observation, but do any forum members recall how long their car key batteries have lasted?

Bought my VW Jetta back in October 2010 when it was three and a half years old and even now, despite the remote car key being used many, many hundreds of times to lock or unlock the car and/or the boot lid, the battery still seems to have plenty of life in it...!

That's at least 10 years' use, so should I be thinking of getting a spare battery?

The Jetta is still, for example, on its original exhaust and I only changed the battery when it was nine years old as winter was coming up and I didn't want to be caught out (it was still turning the engine over perfectly well).

To add to the longevity, the car has always sailed through its MOT, the only preparation for it having been to check the lights and give it a Jet Wash.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 30 Aug 17 at 20:03
 Remote car key battery life - PeterS
I don't recall ever changing a battery in a car key? Though, wasn't there a time when some cars charged the key when it was in the ignition? Somewhat more difficult with keyless start admittedly...
 Remote car key battery life - No FM2R
I had to replace the battery in the main key of the PPOS at 3 years. Probably more a sign of its quality than the typical life of a battery.
 Remote car key battery life - Haywain
ISTR the key-battery on the old Focus lasted for 7 or 8 years.

My present Astra H's key-battery is 10.5 years old, and is still effective at about 30yds and will penetrate a brick wall.
 Remote car key battery life - Zero
the 2007 lancer is still on its original batteries, exhaust, everything. The only thing thats been changed is cam belt (twice) disks pads and tyres.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 30 Aug 17 at 20:31
 Remote car key battery life - Hard Cheese
Our 2005 BMW 120i charges it's fob batteries when inserted, they also remember climate, radio etc settings so wife and I use one each.

It's still on it's original battery, the BMW charging system is actually quite clever. It's also on its original exhaust which shows no sign of corrosion, it has a cam chain so no cambelt to change, the rear discs have been changed along with the pads due to pitting and the front has only had the pads changed.
 Remote car key battery life - R.P.
the BMW charging system is actually quite clever.

I wish they'd kept it. Keyless ignition is a pain on a car with no keyless entry. Where do you put the keys ? At least my T5 had a conventional key slot in the dash. Right b***** pain. The latest BMW bikes have remote central locking with keyless ignition. I can totally see the point of that
 Remote car key battery life - rtj70
>> Keyless ignition is a pain on a car with no keyless entry. Where do you put the keys ?

Same place as a car with keyless entry?

As for OP... might the battery have been changed during a service?
 Remote car key battery life - tyrednemotional
>>
>> As for OP... might the battery have been changed during a service?
>>

..in substitution for the oil? ;-)

....or the cambelt.... :-O
 Remote car key battery life - R.P.
Yes. Trouser pocket ! I tend to chuck them on the passenger seat.
>>As for OP... might the battery have been changed during a service?>>

Very doubtful. I use a very reliable and honest independent family run garage - I would be informed if it was the case and certainly if it was regarded as necessary.

It also has a chain cam rather than a cam belt (which has also been mentioned in responses).
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 31 Aug 17 at 00:35
 Remote car key battery life - Hard Cheese
>> the BMW charging system is actually quite clever.
>>

In that context I meant the charging system for the main battery that enables it to last for 12 years plus. It varies the charge rate and trickle charges apparently when appropriate, and also will not charge under acceleration to reduce the load on the engine.

>> I wish they'd kept it. Keyless ignition is a pain on a car with no
>> keyless entry. Where do you put the keys ? >>

The totally keyless system is apparently far less secure. And the only real difference is that you have to push a button once to open and once to close, really no problem. And if you have elec fold mirrors then you need use the fob any way to fold them while locking (unless you use the interior button before getting out though then they don't unfold automatically). The M135i has two removable inserts in the cup holders, one of which is the shape of the key fob. Otherwise I put the key fob in the channel in the driver's seat that opens up when you extend the thigh support, or simply leave it in my pocket.

When I had a Mazda6 on demo it would automatically lock the car when you walked away or if you pressed the button on the door handle. But it did not deadlock it. You had to press the button on the key fob twice to deadlock the car. So you'd want to use the key fob to securely lock it.

Then again the Mazda and Ford I had would only deadlock with the key fob by pressing the lock button twice. The default is to not engage deadlocks. The opposite to VW group cars.
 Remote car key battery life - Mike H
I've changed a couple of batteries in Saab key fobs, but on different cars. IIRC I only changed it once on the last one, and we had that car for 8 years.
 Remote car key battery life - Manatee
>>give it a Jet Wash.

A Jetta wash?

The two coded plip keys for the last Outlander lasted 6 years then I sold it. They were swapped about from time to time. That's the longest I've had a car.

I don't recall changing any except for one for a Ford Scorpio that was 19 months old when I bought it, and 6 years when I sold it.
 Remote car key battery life - Robin O'Reliant
The Astra F I replaced this year used to go through a battery every six months on the main key and less than half that on the spare. There was a problem with dodgy connections on the key fobs on those models.
 Remote car key battery life - Bromptonaut
Replaced them in either Xantia or original (2005) Berlingo but cannot remember which. Concerned that if replacement wasn't quick enough there was a complex process to re-synch keys with car but wasn't a problem ion event.
 Remote car key battery life - bathtub tom
My Almera was still on the original key fob batteries (I presume) when I flogged it at eleven years old. I bought it when it was a two year old and assume they'd never been replaced.
I only ever had to buy tyres, pads (not discs) and a battery during the time I had it. It never even blew a bulb.

The Yaris main dealer had the cheek to try and charge me for a new key fob battery at its two year service. Didn't mention the other key fob - damn cheek.
 Remote car key battery life - sajid
when i bought my civic in 2014 59 reg i had to change the key fob battery in 2015 so typically 6 years.
>>A Jetta wash?>>

LOL!

Many people tend to change cars every three years or so and so, I assume, the need to change the remote key battery never arises.

But it is remarkable how OEM components seem to last vastly longer than their replacements even if you buy the same branded products.
 Remote car key battery life - Clk Sec
Neither of the key batteries for my 15 years old Japanese barge have needed replacement yet.

(Note for Z: Put that in yer pipe and smoke it!!)
 Remote car key battery life - Zero

>> (Note for Z: Put that in yer pipe and smoke it!!)

:0 > Shocked and Outraged of Surrey.
 Remote car key battery life - Mapmaker
My Accord is 12 years old and I've had it for 6 of them. Hard to know about the fobs but I haven't had to change them.

Had to change the car battery last winter; it was getting very weak on frosty mornings pretty sure the battery was original.
 Remote car key battery life - Mike Hannon
My Accord is now seven years old, five and half in my ownership and the fob still seems to be working fine. A couple of years ago when the car went in for its service I mentioned changing the battery because the handbook says you only have so many seconds to do it and I didn't want to mess up, but the service manager seemed to think I was worrying about nothing.
 Remote car key battery life - Fenlander
It puzzles me folks would attach so much pride to not spending £1 every 1-3yrs to ensure they don't have the possible nuisance of a flat plip.

On our new to us MB the dealers have fitted a new battery each service... I wonder if they reminded the owned to do the same for the second plip?

My BMW is a self charger and the internal batteries seem to last the life of the cars... a side note is that should you wish to do so they will charge from a toothbrush induction charger.
 Remote car key battery life - zippy
VW Touran at least 11 years without the need to change the key's battery.

Never changed the battery. If it aint broke....
 Remote car key battery life - Dog
The handbook/manual for my CR-V says "If it takes several pushes on the button to lock or unlock the door and tailgate, replace the battery ASAP" so even though the battery could well be 7 years old I'm in no hurry to replace it.
God you're a tight lot!

The reason why I'd change batteries early on more modern vehicles is on many these days getting into the car using the emergency "dead plip" procedure is a right fiddle and one that might not be remembered... particularly by a non-technical 'er indoors with arms full of shopping on a rainy day. So you need to read the manual... which of course is locked in the car!

Edit: ***You might also say, why not spend £75 every five years in order to ensure the car battery always starts, and £xxx for all sorts of other things.***

Which is broadly how we run our cars and I believe why we have total reliability and as new performance from 10-15yr old cars!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 1 Sep 17 at 09:06
 Remote car key battery life - Dog
The thing is, from my experience, these 'ere button batteries don't just die(unlike the AA's in my DAB radios!!)

I have 8 twinkly electronic 'candles' in my isolated moorland quintessential Cornish country cottage :)
which gradually become dim over time ... like me!
>>God you're a tight lot!>>

Sorry, I just don't get that.

If a remote key is working as would be expected, why change the battery? Even if it did fail, I could just temporarily use the key itself.

My original query was to wonder if any other forum members had enjoyed OEM car components or accessories that had lasted for a good length of time, in contrast to replacements even if they are the same brand and type.

As for replacement batteries of most types, you can buy branded packs from Kodak, Panasonic etc from Poundland that last equally well as long as the ones people pay far more for in main retail stores.

Used the CR 2025 and CR2032 batteries from Poundland in computer systems or TV remote controls over the years without any problems.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 1 Sep 17 at 13:18
>>>If a remote key is working as would be expected, why change the battery? Even if it did fail, I could just temporarily use the key itself.

Because things are changing re plips/keys so anything newer than 10-15yrs old may need an inconvenient procedure to be carried out to get in and start the car... it is not always simply a case of putting the key in and not using the plip like the old days.

As rtj says on his car you need to lever off a cap on the door to reveal a hidden lock... on others a certain sequence is required with the emergency key before it will unlock, a sequence which may not be remembered and as I said before the handbook will be locked in the car.... with BMWs and others with a stop/start button this has to be prised from the dash to use the key in an emergency mode to start the car.

It's no big deal but all I'm saying on many modern vehicles for £1 a year it might be worth changing the battery.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 1 Sep 17 at 13:31
>> Even if it did fail, I could just temporarily use the key itself.

If the car is deadlocked, the key won't open the door. I always leave my car deadlocked when I lock it - which is the default when you press the remote lock button on the key fob.
 Remote car key battery life - VxFan
>> If the car is deadlocked, the key won't open the door.

Mine will. If the wrong key is used (eg, by a thief), the lock will just freewheel.

I'm surprised that some deadlocks rely solely on a remote fob signal to unlock. Ever since Vauxhall fitted deadlocks, they could still be mechanically overridden by the key in the lock.
>>I always leave my car deadlocked when I lock it - which is the default when you press the remote lock button on the key fob.>>

My Jetta is the same. The only time I mislaid the key fob I used the spare key. It unlocked the vehicle as normal......

Found this interesting link re Mk V models:

www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/vwgolfmk5_secrets.php
The Passat (which has a plastic key mind) would not open. I wasn't surprised. I've not actually tried the A3... might try later.
 Remote car key battery life - CGNorwich
If you have a VW the first problem you will encounter trying to open the door wiht a key is where is the lock? You may well think there is no conventional key barrel.

But there is! - it's just well hidden.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM8Wh2s_ALo
It's not only hidden on the Passat but it only has a plastic key hidden inside the key fob. And it does not open the door if deadlocked. It will open if you didn't deadlock it.

Tested the A3 earlier. It will unlock with the key and lock it again. When you lock the car with the key it's deadlocked and there's no way of 'locking' it again to turn off the deadlocks. But then I always deadlock it.
<>

Which model year is that VW? It's very neat.

My Jetta (2007) has the lock visible in that position, but there are no other locks on the vehicle; the boot lid is opened using the key fob central push button and locks automatically when shut (unless the vehicle is unlocked). Handy as you can add or remove items without unlocking the car.
 Remote car key battery life - henry k
>> My Jetta (2007) .... but there are no other locks on the vehicle;
>> the boot lid is opened using the key fob central push button and locks automatically when shut (unless the vehicle is unlocked).
>>Handy as you can add or remove items without unlocking the car.
>>
Yeh BUT!
My X Type has the same stupid system.
If the electric part of the boot lock fails what then ????
In the USA you smash one of the rear light clusters to gain access to the emergency release device ( in case kids playing get shut in the boot.)

One alternative employed in the USA
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wZjFpoiu

Me? I have a 5p modification :-) :-)

Remote car key battery life - bathtub tom
>> One alternative employed in the USA
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wZjFpoiu

"This video is unavailable."
>> >> One alternative employed in the USA
Apologies - too much cut before pasting

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wZjFpoiu_U

However this method only works with 40/60 split rear seats which are an option that is rarely speced in the UK. Just the start of the video shows their approach the rest is boring.
Normal seats on standard spec cars have just a few small holes in the rear bulkhead.
Plus the earlier X type had a key hole for the boot ( as they found out)
The later X types like mine had no key hole:-((
>>In the USA you smash one of the rear light clusters to gain access to the emergency release device ( in case kids playing get shut in the boot.)>>

Bit drastic. You can release the boot lid manually (fully described in the car's manual!)
>> Bit drastic.
But no use on UK models that are not equipped ( IIRC it is law in the USA) like mine with an emergency release.
>> You can release the boot lid manually (fully described in the car's manual!)
>>
Afraid not, There is no means of releasing the boot mechanically if the electric actuation has totally failed. I understand that some earlier models did have a keyhole like any half reasonable car should have.
Quality cars Jaguars ???

IIRC a Jaguar forum mentioned drilling a hole, in a very specific spot in the boot behind the number plate.
I have already installed a very inexpensive fix so do not have to take that approach.
>>Afraid not>>

Afraid so...!! As I said, fully described in the car's manual, despite your disbelief.

If you fold down the rear seat, you can reach the manual release (covered by a plastic shield) situated close to the boot lid lock. Easy to study it at close quarters with the boot lid raised....:-)

By the way, my Jetta was built in Mexico.

I posted " My X Type has the same stupid system."

I was referring to my X type hence the confusion.
>>I was referring to my X type hence the confusion.>>

Ah. Yet both seemed to match up perfectly...:-)
That will be a Golf Mk7 I would think. It was the same on the Passat B7. Except in that case the plastic key would not open it if deadlocked.

If you pop the cap off on the passenger side, there is no key hole.

My Passat CC and current A3 saloon allow you to open the boot via the key fob and then when you close it it will relock. Whilst it never unlocks all the doors I do believe the deadlock was disabled on the Passat when you did this.

I am wary of doing this on cars after I had a Honda Accord as a hire car in 2010.... Decided I didn't need my house keys when I went out so left them in the boot. Later glancing at the table I saw my house keys... Accord keys were thrown in the boot by mistake! Doh. The AA got it open, thankfully because the remote boot release inside the car was not locked with the key.
 Remote car key battery life - Mapmaker
>>It puzzles me folks would attach so much pride to not spending £1 every 1-3yrs to ensure they
>>don't have the possible nuisance of a flat plip.

How much of a nuisance is a flat plip? Why do we need them in the first place? Finding the right battery annually is much more of a nuisance than being unable to use the plip!

You might also say, why not spend £75 every five years in order to ensure the car battery always starts, and £xxx for all sorts of other things.
>>Finding the right battery annually is much more of a nuisance than being unable to use the plip!
I have bought spares at great cost from 99p (as was) and Poundland shops when I have needed to divert a few feet :-)
>> How much of a nuisance is a flat slip

On the Passat I had, there was no key as such but not keyless entry. You inserted the key fob into the dash and pushed it to start the car.

There were no visible door locks either. But inside the key fob was a plastic key. This key could be used to pop off the covers to the door locks and in theory unlock the car. But only if the car was not deadlocked and the car deadlocked by default.

So with a flat battery in the key fob, you could not get into the car. Never had a flat battery mind. But I did try out getting in one day to see if the plastic key was any use.
 Remote car key battery life - VxFan
A message on the dash display prompts for when the fob battery is getting low and needs replacing on my Astra. Same with my previous couple of cars as well (Vectra's).

Never seen it come up though. I usually change the battery myself every 2 or 3 yrs. I can get a couple of branded CR2032 batteries from ebay for a £1 delivered.

I occasionally forget to tell the garage to NOT change the fob battery when it goes in for servicing and kick myself when I do forget. They specify it should be changed every 2 years, and then charge me over £5 for the privilege! I don't see why I should pay that amount for a 50p battery and 30 seconds labour to change it. It wouldn't be quite so bad if they request the 2nd key to also change that battery too for the same overall price.
 Remote car key battery life - Robin O'Reliant
Almost makes one yearn for the days when a Ford could be opened (And started) with a nail file.
 Remote car key battery life - CGNorwich
Indeed. I remember losing the key of my Mini whilst staying in a hotel at Christmas with friends some 100 miles from home. I rang home, got the number of my key which was stamped on the spare key left there and found a filling station open on Boxing Day which had a display with all the BMC keys in numerical order.

Life was so much simpler then.
Back in 2002 I took the car to Brittany (a Passat... B5 I think). Like the previous Golf it came with two folding keys/key fobs and a plastic key. Back then the plastic key did indeed open the car (alarm would sound of course).

So I had the plastic key in my wallet, main key and the spare was in the car in two different locations (it could be split into two). Insurance in case I lost the key. Getting the spare from home not so easy.
 Remote car key battery life - hawkeye
Both remotes for the Citroen C8 are still OK. Bought in October 2004 so nearly a teenager.
The dash is supposed to tell me if the remotes are low on battery.
 Remote car key battery life - Bill Payer
Daughter had Mitsubishi Colt and that had a low key battery warning that I've never seen before - the indicators flash like mad when locking car. Rather than the normal couple of flashes they flash about 10 times.

Baffled me at first and I bet a lot of owners don't even notice, or never figure out what it means.
 Remote car key battery life - No FM2R
Ohhhhh, so *that's* what it means. Explains a lot.
Latest Forum Posts