Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7
Thread Author: Oldgit Replies: 29

Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7 - Oldgit
On Monday my car went into the dealers for its first 12 month service. It was delivered back to my house just after 5pm. Despite the report sheet saying it had been washed and vacuumed it looked a bit dusty.
I decided to take the car for a short spin around the block. In doing so I got involved in a RTA when someone came out of a side road, on a bend and smashed into my front offside wing, headlight assembly, bumper apron etc. Car was forced (or I drove towards the pavement to lessen the impact) thus resulting in two deflated tyres and two damaged alloy wheels.
Eventually the AA sent a removal firm to take car into storage overnight and my car is now at the dealer's body shop awaiting my Insurer's 'Engineer' to come and assess my car's damage.
Hmmmmmmmmm
 Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7 - Manatee
Sorry Oldgit. Hope it gets fixed OK and at no cost to you. A lottery though. The boss's car has had a couple of knocks and it's three different colours now in some lights. I wanted to get her one of those Citroens with the doormats on the sides, but she won't have it!
>> Sorry Oldgit. Hope it gets fixed OK and at no cost to you. A lottery
>> though. The boss's car has had a couple of knocks and it's three different colours
>> now in some lights. I wanted to get her one of those Citroens with the
>> doormats on the sides, but she won't have it!
>>

Ha, Ha. Thanks for that. Yes colour matching is more difficult nowadays with metallic Paint, I suppose.
 Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7 - Manatee
It shouldn't be, with spectroscopic analysis, precise mixing etc. now available, maybe we have been unlucky. It was actually the first repair that was the worst. I made them have two more goes at it but just got fed up in the end and left in. Problem is they tried to 'blend' it in which more or less worked until the second repair, when they used the right colour (it's a good match for the original bits) but there is now a contrast with the last repair where repainted wing meets repainted bonnet. Second repairer quite reasonably said theirs is the right colour so it's down to the first one...
With metallic it is the leafing and leafing density and size which I suppose ultimately dictates whether a good match is possible and visible after spraying etc.
 Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7 - Old Navy
Typical, I have bought cars with non metallic paint for the last few. Since my change to flat colours my cars have been undamaged, no one has noticed or commented, they have cost a few quid less, and trade in is a set of moving goalposts with colour making little difference.
 Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7 - Roger.
Looking at car manufacturer's sites, as one does, it strikes me what a swizz the colour choice options are.
For instance, looking at a new Jazz, the only colours not to attract a swingeing surcharge are a vile orange and a very dull red. Even white is five hundred quid extra, for heaven's sake.
 Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7 - Bill Payer
>> I decided to take the car for a short spin around the block.

As I get older I find myself increasingly reluctant to take the car out unless there's some specific purpose. I think it's strange how things happen when you do something you don't normally do.

My wife really irritates me in this regard - she'll pop here there and everywhere on the slightest whim. The other day she insisted on going to our daughter's house - a journey I hate as it has a stretch of twisty country lane that is not quite two cars wide so people try and barge past - just to take an item of clothing back. Car was fine, but on arriving home she dropped and smashed her 'phone getting out of the car. Oddly she didn't think me pointing out that it wouldn't have happened if she hadn't gone was helpful.
 Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7 - Duncan
>> but on arriving home she dropped
>> and smashed her 'phone getting out of the car. Oddly she didn't think me pointing
>> out that it wouldn't have happened if she hadn't gone was helpful.

Why wasn't said phone safely in pocket or handbag?

She wasn't holding it in her hand or had it sitting on her lap, shirley?
 Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7 - Hard Cheese
My Mondeo (silver) had a bump when very nearly new, shortly after I went to pick up a Turkey from a farm shop illuminated by lots of halogen lights and realised that the repainted wing was a different colour than the rest under such light, I also noticed that it looked a little different under the lights on a garage forecourt. The repair had been arranged by the supplying dealer and the body shop was a 200 mile round trip for me (near the HQ of my employer at the time) so I suggested that they pay for it to go to a more local body shop, amazingly they agreed and all was well afterwards.
 Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7 - Bromptonaut
>> Why wasn't said phone safely in pocket or handbag?

Mrs B dropped and smashed hers exiting the car at a work site. She'd just removed it from the windscreen clamp where, for convenient handfree headset use, it resides while travelling.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 20 Jul 17 at 17:03
>> She wasn't holding it in her hand or had it sitting on her lap, shirley?
>>
Actually it was in the passenger door pocket.

And in another of those annoying things that happen un-neccessarily, she'd arrived back at our house moments after our other daughter who parked in wife's space. So that meant she parked in the drive next to my car, which made it was a little awkward reaching into the passenger door and she bumped her hand on the B post and dropped the phone.

Being nearer the road than normal it fell onto a tiny stone from the recently surface dressed road. Maybe iPhones always shatter but the damage from such a drop (I was there when it happened) was incredible.
>> >> She wasn't holding it in her hand or had it sitting on her lap,

>> was there when it happened) was incredible.
>>

Well, I might as well join in this hijacked thread with my two pennyworth's of comment in that any phone that is 'naked' deserves to break if dropped. There are so many protective accessories around nowadays that can protect the case and screen. My Sony Xperia is very slippery and I have a tempered glass screen added to the phone's screen. These can be bought for almost all phones and virtually just drop onto the phone's screen.
My phone did drop onto concrete once and the screen was shattered and all I had to do was just peel of the semi-rigid shattered glass mess and replace it with a spare one (came, two in a pack).
Also it is the modern trend that phones are carried in the hand by women, usually, as if they cannot be without their precious devices. Again they deserve to be either dropped or snatched by some passing opportunist.
 Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7 - Zero
Bumpers. Phones rarely if ever need protection on the front of the screen, they rarely if ever fall to the ground flat face down, always on a corner There is a rubber or soft bumper made for every phone, they resist breaking the screen when falling nearly 100% of the time, and make them easier to grip and dont interfere in anyway way with the usability of the touch screen
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 21 Jul 17 at 09:13
>> Bumpers. Phones rarely if ever need protection on the front of the screen,

It has a genuine Apple silicone case but I think it was landing on the little bit of gravel that did for it.

I think if it was some other £600 item people would be more careful. In a similar vein it always makes me cringe when people drop their car keys - they don't know a new one is typically £250.
 Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7 - sooty123
Never bothered with any sort of phone cover, never damaged one either.
Iphones seem to be the most easily damaged, judging from what I've seen.
 Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7 - Duncan

>> Actually it was in the passenger door pocket.

>> Being nearer the road than normal it fell onto a tiny stone from the recently
>> surface dressed road. Maybe iPhones always shatter but the damage from such a drop (I
>> was there when it happened) was incredible.
>>

No offence meant, but I am amazed at the number of women walking around with their phones in their hand.
>>
>> No offence meant, but I am amazed at the number of women walking around with
>> their phones in their hand.
>>

See my comments below. They're either clenched in hand also holding a handbag or pram or clenched between ear and shoulder having meaningless conversations - from what I have heard, anyway. Again, a modern disease or trend and pathetic to observe IMHO.
 Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7 - Zero

>> My wife really irritates me in this regard - she'll pop here there and everywhere
>> on the slightest whim.

Daily Mail Headline time.

"WIFE USES CAR AS TRANSPORT"

"I didn't buy it so she could travel about in it" says husband. "Its supposed to be sitting on my drive keeping the weeds dry, but my wife will insist on using it to go to places"
>> "I didn't buy it so she could travel about in it" says husband. "Its supposed
>> to be sitting on my drive keeping the weeds dry, but my wife will insist
>> on using it to go to places"

Laughable, isn't It? - that attitude, I mean.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 21 Jul 17 at 16:35
>> Laughable, isn't It? - that attitude, I mean.
>>
I think there's far too much of this "just taking the car for a spin" stuff going on. :)

Baffles me when I'm driving for work and I get on the M6 down through Cheshire and Staffs mid-day and it's always busy. Where is everyone going? It's not a commute time, there's no shopping desination along the way. They don't look like sales reps driving between calls.

I'm convinced half of them are just driving around for the heck of it.
 Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7 - sooty123
>> Baffles me when I'm driving for work and I get on the M6 down through Cheshire and Staffs mid-day and it's always busy. Where is everyone going? It's not a
>> commute time, there's no shopping desination along the way. They don't look like sales reps
>> driving between calls.

Maybe they are all going to work at midday like you?

;-)

>> I'm convinced half of them are just driving around for the heck of it.
>>

You sound just like my dad!
>> "Its supposed
>> to be sitting on my drive keeping the weeds dry,

The weeds wouldn't grow in the first place if she didn't keep moving it!
 Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7 - Ambo
>>As I get older I find myself increasingly reluctant to take the car out unless there's some specific purpose. I think it's strange how things happen when you do something you don't normally do.

I believe the Institute of Advanced Motorists' advice is to keep driving in order not to get rusty. It's what I do, furthermore I tend to drive for an hour or two at a time and I think this benefits the car, after the many short hops it gets in my wife's hands.

Volkswagen - So endeth the first year with my Golf MK7 - CGNorwich
Reluctance to use the car in older people is common and is really a signal that perhaps is now the time to stop and consider other means of transport.

My father continued driving beyond when he should, perhaps as a matter of pride and used to get quite wound up a the prospect of using the car. Eventually we persuaded him that it was the time to give up and he became much more relaxed using taxis and public transport.
Cars are not driveway ornaments, although many treat them as such. Cars are designed to be driven and thrive on it.
>> Cars are not driveway ornaments, although many treat them as such. Cars are designed to
>> be driven and thrive on it.
>>

Precisely. Why should our roads be fouled up only by 'business' people driving around all day, probably doing a lot of unnecessary mileage, showing off their badge-less expensive Company cars 'given' to them at the drop of a hat and forming part of pathetic status symbols for BMW and Audi 'man'. Other makes included of course.
>> Precisely.

To be fair, your original post demonstrates that cars don't always thrive on being driven. :(
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 21 Jul 17 at 16:36
Obviously it depends on the driver. :-)
>> >> Precisely.
>>
>> To be fair, your original post demonstrates that cars don't always thrive on being driven.
>> :(
>>

Touché
Latest Forum Posts