Motoring Discussion > 17 plate X Trail on the drive! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 42

17 plate X Trail on the drive! - Pat
We will try it over the weekend and see what we think.

The V90 is in the body shop........Oooops!

The reason it's there I will explain (probably) tomorrow morning early when I get up, as my day started at 12.30 am this morning.

.....but it wasn't a good holiday!

Pat

Forgot to add you have to promise not to have a go at me:)
Last edited by: Pat on Fri 14 Jul 17 at 18:14
 17 plate X Trail on the drive! - rtj70
Oops! Oh no. But it's only a car I suppose. Hope the car isn't letting you down.
 17 plate X Trail on the drive! - Zero

>> The V90 is in the body shop........Oooops!
>> .....but it wasn't a good holiday!

So It DIDNT fit in the Cornish Lanes.

17 plate X Trail on the drive! - tyrednemotional
>>
>> So It DIDNT fit in the Cornish Lanes.
>>
....no, it didn't survive a visit to the newsagent.......

;-)
It fitted down the Cornish lanes perfectly, it was here it didn't fit.

www.aspects-holidays.co.uk/cornwall/west-cornwall/penzance/p/above-the-waves

As you can see there is underground parking for small to medium sized cars but when the paperwork came with confirmation of access codes it added or very confident drivers' to that section.

Guess what sort of a challenge that was to two lorry drivers!

It did fit and it wasn't really difficult to park as long as one of us got out first and you kept tight on the brick pillar dividing the pairs of parking spaces.

The V90 is longer than the XC60 but the turning circle is excellent and that was the problem.

The Nun's Chorus goes off at the drop of a hat (as we've christened the all round camera collision warning system thingy) so we didn't take any notice of that and the n/s rear door just caught the pillar as we turned to get out one morning.

In my experience over the years, own fault accidents are always far worse because there is no-one to blame only yourself, and a car that was just 3 weeks old made it even worse.

No matter how much you beat yourself up over it, it's happened and can't be undone.

Ian was furious with himself, with all the bump free miles he does, all the Central London side street deliveries with the collision warning system going off in the lorry because of parked cars either side, and that this is the first car we've ever had with that system on.

We thought it would be a case of us paying for the repair instead of going through the insurance but when we got home and took it in for an estimate we found it had to have a new door as it was 'slightly' dented which we hadn't noticed.

Axa have handled the claim well up to now but of course, the renewal will be the crunch time.

Incidentally, does anyone know who you pay the excess payment to?

We've never done this before and don't know if that is settled directly to the body shop or if Axa will bill us for it.

Pat
 17 plate X Trail on the drive! - Manatee
It's usual that he repairer will ask you for the excess when you go to collect it. Or so I understand:)
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 15 Jul 17 at 06:42
>> It's usual that he repairer will ask you for the excess when you go to
>> collect it. Or so I understand:)

Yup, pay body shop the excess on collection. This is your time to go over the repair with a fine comb and refuse to pay if its not acceptable.

>> The Nun's Chorus goes off at the drop of a hat (as we've christened the
>> all round camera collision warning system thingy) so we didn't take any notice of that
>> and the n/s rear door just caught the pillar as we turned to get out
>> one morning.

The technology has to be really well implemented, with a huge amount if human factors considered.

For example. The rear sensors on the Volvo are superb. Never going off unnecessarily, accurate informative, progressive allowing a perfect reverse into gaps and against objects,

The Ones on her indoors Ford are an object lesson in uselessness, being aimed too low, they bleep at undulations, waving blades of grass, even reversing down off our pavement drop causes them to bleep because it sees the road surface. They are ignored by both her and I and might just as well have been left in the assembly line parts bin.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 15 Jul 17 at 09:04
 17 plate X Trail on the drive! - Bromptonaut
>> The Ones on her indoors Ford are an object lesson in uselessness,

The Roomster's 'reverse radar' is pretty good on the whole even though triggered by vegetation. I have a favourite spot in the public multi storey car park work gives me a permit for. Use the beeps to get as far back in space as I can so as to minimise risk of being clipped by careless manoeuvres by passing cars. LAst week it started beeping far earlier than usual. Cause was a fast growing bramble that had clambered in from outside and was spreading over my path.

Probably too small to damage car but somethin that sizr and less flexible might.

Pulled it out of way for one day and took secateurs in the next.
 17 plate X Trail on the drive! - Bromptonaut
>> The Roomster's 'reverse radar' is pretty good on the whole even though triggered by vegetation.

The other place it gives a 'false alarm' is if I park close to a fence. The visitor spaces at my Mother's place (flats) are absurdly narrow. They're between the bin compound and the perimeter wall of the residents' car park and one or both of those structures are not quite where the plan directed.

Usually offload front passenger and enter space forwards keeping door mirror an inch or so from fence. Ready to depart and engage reverse at which point the corner sensor picks up proximity of fence and goes ape sheet. No harm, just makes me jump.
 17 plate X Trail on the drive! - CGNorwich
Tootling around Nova Scotia in a Ford Edge at the moment - the result of hire car upgrade. About the biggest car I have ever driven. Definitely not the thing for the streets of Norwich
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 14 Jul 17 at 19:27
 17 plate X Trail on the drive! - sooty123
How's nova scotia cgn? Meant to go there a few times with work but for one reason or another i never made it (not yet anyway) worth a visit?
 17 plate X Trail on the drive! - zippy
Hi Pat,

As a pilot might say; "Any landing that you can walk away from......!"

Hope you are all OK and its just bodywork which can be replaced after all!?
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 14 Jul 17 at 20:22
 17 plate X Trail on the drive! - Bobby
Before she comes back, remind me, was this a brand new Volvo that Pat had just got???
the very same
oops - and if its an X Trail I am guessing she had to get a hire car that would tow her van back??
the shed was sold last year.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 14 Jul 17 at 23:22
You're assuming it was not drivable there. Might have been a scratch but still needed sorting.

She might never tell us. So one of us will have to pop in and ask in the paki's. :-)
???
>> ???

Well if she won't tell us about the mishap her friendly newsagent probably knows.
That term of endearment for your local newsagent would get you locked up, up here.
Agree. I am quoting from another thread about how the village refers to the newsagent in Pat's village. He's fine with it.... Apparently.

Although the shop actually has a sign outside saying "Village" newsagents. Where "Village" is the name of where Pat lives.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 14 Jul 17 at 23:53
Nova Scotia is a really nice part of the world Sooty. My daughter lives here hence the iniitial reason for my visit but it's a great place for a holiday and I have need here 4 times now Really warm at the moment - Halifax is actually about the same latitude as Nice in France so the sun in summer is very strong. Lots of great places to visit and the beaches are wonderful. Lots of little bays and coves

Halifax is an interesting city with a vibrant waterfront. Driving is so easy here. Very little aggressive driving or speeding and the roads outside Halifax are a joy. It's a shame really that most people in the U.K. Have never heard of the place and couldn't place it on a map.

If you get a chance make the trip -but not in winter!
Thanks CGN, for the write up. Quite a few of my mates at work have been there, sadly though for various reasons we always go in the winter, so I'd not see the beaches! I'll definitely try and wangle my way onto the next trip.
Try to avoid Jan/Apr. Can be pretty cold with storms and fairly large dumps of snow.

Fall is nice with lots of colour.

>> Try to avoid Jan/Apr. Can be pretty cold with storms and fairly large dumps of
>> snow.
>>

I'd try to but that's the main time of year we'd have to go so it's bound to be cold!
 17 plate X Trail on the drive! - Old Navy
There are ski resorts in NS. I have not skied there but have in nearby Vermont.
 17 plate X Trail on the drive! - MD
Mmmmmmmm. I thought that it was going to be kept a SECRET. o:-)
It was MD, but I thought it might take some focus off the *other* thread.

....but due to one poster that didn't work, did it?

I'm not telling them about the second week though ;)

Pat
I've known X Trails to be problematic. I wouldn't own one out of warranty.
It's only the courtesy car so should be ok:)

Pat
Must pay attention. Must pay attention. O:-)
Well, I don't like the 17 plate X Trail at all.

It's just as I remembered an automatic to be before I drove the V90. Clunky, whiny, noisy and hesitant.

The undulating roads of the Fen have the lane departure warning system going off all the time and it's bleeps have driven me mad.

The seat in uncomfortable and it returned a mpg of 30.6 compared to 50.1 with the V90 on holiday.

It has all the funny noises and slack performance of a classic car without any of the character.

It's wound me up that much I'm at the Doc's for an annual BP check on Monday morning and will go in Ian's old Fiesta so I arrive serene and composed!

Pat

Last edited by: Pat on Sat 15 Jul 17 at 16:12
Sounds like most of us wouldn't get on with that car. Luckily you don't have to put up with it for too long.

The auto characteristics you describe sound like a CVT to me. No wonder it whines if it's one of those.

>> The auto characteristics you describe sound like a CVT to me. No wonder it whines
>> if it's one of those.

CVT should have died with the DAF33. Horrid idea.
 17 plate X Trail on the drive! - Lygonos
>>Horrid idea.

Super idea... poor implementation.
>> >>Horrid idea.
>>
>> Super idea... poor implementation.

Fantastic in theory, crap in application.
That is a CVT, having looked at the current brochure.

I would have assumed it was the same Jatco 6 speed planetary + torque-converter type as the Outlander, that I know has been in some Qashqais, but it seems not. Economy + emissions targets have severely reduced the choice of proper autos but they are still the best to use unless you have a racing car.
 17 plate X Trail on the drive! - zippy
Its quite a big car with a smallish engine so will probably struggle.

Put it in to sports mode and turn off the lane departure warning* and it will probably be better.

*Usually a switch to the right of the steering wheel near the fog light switches.
Damaging a door on a wall reminds me of the poor design for the car park at the rear of the Manchester arena (originally the Nynex arena).

On the first level the down ramp was difficult to make the turn at because there were parking bays where you'd want to swing the car around. You could tell it was a problem because of all the car paint scraped along the wall. Eventually they removed the parking bays and so you had space to swing your car around.

>> On the first level the down ramp was difficult to make the turn at because
>> there were parking bays where you'd want to swing the car around. You could tell
>> it was a problem because of all the car paint scraped along the wall.

Have you ever tried to explain to anyone that, just because something was in their way they weren't obliged to hit it? Best not to, when it's your wife:)
 17 plate X Trail on the drive! - Lygonos
>>It has all the funny noises and slack performance of a classic car without any of the character.

One of the best automotive smack-downs I've seen for a while.
I had all around sensors on the van, but they've all gone now O:-)
Latest Forum Posts