Motoring Discussion > Milton Keynes - ugh! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focal Point Replies: 17

Milton Keynes - ugh! - Focal Point
God, how I hate Milton Keynes!

Just back from a crap day in the New City.

Roundabout after roundabout after roundabout - all virtually identical, all a few hundred metres apart.

From 9:15 until 4:30 in the Magistrate's Court. (I hasten to add, for the purpose of moral support.) At a break in the case, for lunch, went out to the car and found a parking ticket - the second of my 57 years' driving. I had parked inadvertently in a disabled space. I should have known better, but with a certain amount of tension in the air in view of the forthcoming trial, and the need to be prompt, I hadn't paid enough attention to my surroundings.

However, in my defence (!), the word "disabled" in what had been white capital letters was all but erased and the yellow sign indicating it was a disabled space was covered by the leaves of a tree. It might be worth an appeal, I suppose.

Still very disappointed with myself.
 Milton Keynes - ugh! - sooty123
The court is probably well known to the council parking wardens as often having people unfamiliar with the area in it. So they'll target it.

As to MK, never been in my life, doesn't sound like I've missed out on much :-)
 Milton Keynes - ugh! - Manatee
I like MK, and although I hate roundabouts too the alternatives in a town or city of that size are generally worse. cf. both Oxford & Cambridge, with not much more than half the population, for example. Both are much harder to drive around.

If you are happy to walk half a mile, parking in central MK is far less hassle than most places.

If the lettering was worn away and the sign obscured, appeal. I hope you got pictures.
 Milton Keynes - ugh! - VxFan
Used to go through MK to get to Santa Pod quite a bit. I don't think I ever went the same direction through it each time, but still ended up at my destination. Likewise coming back home too. It's a very odd place.
 Milton Keynes - ugh! - Duncan
Concrete cows.
 Milton Keynes - ugh! - tyrednemotional
...in the early seventies, quite a bit of the road pattern had been laid in advance with no accompanying buildings or road signs.

Take a wrong turn driving through in the early hours of the morning, and it could take quite some time to get back onto your desired route..............

............. or so a "friend of a friend" told me........ :-(
Using the satnav as I was yesterday contributes to the sense of disorientation. On the main roads between the M1 and MK centre, you get the feeling over and over that you must be going round in circles. Each roundabout looks the same, more or less, they're equidistant, more or less, and it feels as if you're in some weird nightmare where you're trapped in a strange place and can't get out.
 Milton Keynes - ugh! - Hard Cheese
I you're driving from the Northamptonshire countryside south through Bletchley and on towards Aylesbury etc, Milton Keynes is but an urban interlude.
 Milton Keynes - ugh! - Avant
At least you know whether you're going north/south (V roads) or east/west (H roads). And overall I think MK's roundabouts (and Basingstoke's) are a better bet than Reading's incessant traffic lights. In our last few years in the Reading area they were even replacing some roundabouts with traffic lights, each time making congestion much worse.
 Milton Keynes - ugh! - Roger.
In our town a VERY great deal of money has been spent re-modelling a perfectly good roundabout.
It is now much bigger and works far worse, as on some of the approaches traffic lights have been placed , which create monstrous queues
 Milton Keynes - ugh! - movilogo
MK is parking hell.

Best option is to park in Park & Ride coachway (free) and then take a bus to center (£2 return).

If you can park Network Rail public car park besides central station it will be £6 for 8 hours (good if multiple occupants) but you need to get there before 08:30 to get any space.

Milton Keynes - ugh! - Old Navy
Same here, the road planners must have the same (poor) training.
 Milton Keynes - ugh! - tyrednemotional
>> Same here, the road planners must have the same (poor) training.
>>

I understand ours was unfortunately savaged to death by his guide-dog......
Appeal disallowed.

Note to self:
1) Avoid Milton Keynes. You managed not to visit it for many years. Now you know why.
2) Concentrate and be more observant, especially when under stress.
3) Kiss £35 goodbye.
 Milton Keynes - ugh! - DP
Milton Keynes in light traffic conditions demonstrates how marginal the brakes are on an M140i. Allegedly.... ;-)
 Milton Keynes - ugh! - Hard Cheese
>> Milton Keynes in light traffic conditions demonstrates how marginal the brakes are on an M140i. Allegedly.... ;-)
>>

Eh?
 Milton Keynes - ugh! - Old Navy
Not a blown stopping distance? :-)
 Milton Keynes - ugh! - DP
>> >> Milton Keynes in light traffic conditions demonstrates how marginal the brakes are on an
>> M140i. Allegedly.... ;-)
>> >>
>>
>> Eh?
>>

Long straights punctuated by roundabouts. Doesn't take long for the brakes to get smelly if you're "making progress". Age old BMW weakness, brakes.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 24 Jul 17 at 23:23
Latest Forum Posts