Motoring Discussion > Mercedes Benz B-Class - Electric Car
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 8

Mercedes Benz B-Class - Electric Car - Lygonos
Took delivery of new car yesterday, B250e Sport Executive in white.

Plugged it in to a local fast charger where it sucked 8.5kWh in 45 mins or so (fastest charge rate the Merc can manage is 11kW from 3-phase AC : no 40+kW DC charging for me...)

Very quiet, very smooth, nice seats with multi adjustment including the seat squab being able to extend a few inches forward like BMW sport seats.

Good sized and shaped boot with folding back seats.

36kWh Tesla battery pack, of which it lets you use 28kWh (or ~31.5kWh if you use a 'range' mode when charging) means 80miles winter and 100-120 miles summer used carefully.

Quick but not neck-snapping - it's FWD so it holds back a bit for the first few mph - use kick-down from standstill and you WILL spin the front tyres.

0% over 6 years with no deposit from Energy Saving Trust (Scotland only) - free public charging in Scotland (for now).

Will be superseded in no time by 200mile range cars, and is already behind the Ioniq and Zoe40 but it does what I need it to do with agreeable rapidity and comfort, and should give good service for a few years.
 Mercedes Benz B-Class - Electric Car - Dog
Nice jamjar, but the price came as a bit of a shock :o

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mercedes-benz/b-class-2012/
 Mercedes Benz B-Class - Electric Car - Focal Point
"...the price came as a bit of a shock"

He can afford it.
 Mercedes Benz B-Class - Electric Car - Lygonos
>> ...the price came as a bit of a shock

Very punny.

Bought it through drivethedeal.com who put me in touch with a dealer in England - all monies went to the dealer who included delivery to Jocktopia.

B250e + Energy Pack + Executive Pack was £20.7k (current price for same is £21.3k)

Tax = £0

Fuel = £0 (for now)

Sorted.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 9 May 17 at 18:03
 Mercedes Benz B-Class - Electric Car - rtj70
I'm considering a plugin hybrid for my next company car - low BIK tax. With only a 9kWh battery and an engine of course... but list price could be closer to £40k!

The B250e sounds a bargain if the range suits you. Especially if free electric.

My brother has a Tesla so gets free electric. He's even driven from San Francisco to places like LA and back for 'free'. Rapid charging helps.
 Mercedes Benz B-Class - Electric Car - Hard Cheese
>> I'm considering a plugin hybrid for my next company car
>>

What Car email this AM, they place the Passat GTE as the best hybrid. The question is though - how good is the genre, is it king of kings or best of a bad bunch ...
I have a demo of the Passat GTE in June - earliest I could get. Over a weekend thankfully.

I have a garage but not a drive per se. We live on a corner and garage is at the bottom of the garden. A big car probably wouldn't fit in it anyway. And unlocking, opening, closing and locking the side gates is a faff.

So I'd need to charge on the street alongside.... key tests will be:

1. MPG on petrol alone
2. How good is it on electric mode really - I could do most of my weekly miles like that but charging would be a faff.
3. Do I like it enough.... cheaper per month compared to say an equivalent Superb by £60. Factor in cheap running on electric and it's quite a saving every year.

But then I could spec up a Skoda Superb too be a better car... I'll report back on the GTE experience next month.

EDIT: Skoda demo last week.... steering could have been heavier even in sport mode. Steering wheel a bit thinner than I have got used to on the Audi. Nice car. Surprised a few people when remote opening the boot... it beeps like a small truck reversing and I half expected it to say 'warning' :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 9 May 17 at 18:48
 Mercedes Benz B-Class - Electric Car - Hard Cheese
Is it elec only or hybrid?
Electric only for Lagoons.... it's a B250e. Shares some stuff with Tesla - well Tesla borrows from MB.
Latest Forum Posts