Motoring Discussion > Misleading indication Legal Questions
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 18

Misleading indication - movilogo
This morning on a roundabout, I saw a car coming from my right indicating to turn left. So I pulled out towards 2nd exit. However, the car didn't turn left (its 1st exit) but came straight towards me (while still indicating left).

Nothing happened as both cars were slow but if it had hit my car, whose fault it would have been (if I have the dashcam footage* showing that car didn't follow its indicated path)?

* = I am not sure if dashcam actually captured as I am yet to review the footage. The car was coming at an angle of 90 degree so dashcam might have missed it.

Misleading indication - sooty123
Yes some people do indicate that way, not too sure why. I find it confusing. Seen it on other forums they are convinced they are right.

As to fault i don't know, I suppose it depends on circumstances.
 Misleading indication - commerdriver
I was taught, 45 years ago, that all a flashing indicator tells you is that the bulb works. It might hint that another driver is going to do something but if you rely on it alone you will be at fault if there is an accident.
I have followed that since.
 Misleading indication - No FM2R
>> all a flashing indicator tells you is that the bulb works.

Only half the time.
 Misleading indication - CGNorwich
I would say that the majority of people do not signal properly in accordance with the Highway Code either when approaching a roundabout or when leaving one.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 5 May 17 at 12:08
 Misleading indication - Hard Cheese
>> This morning on a roundabout, I saw a car coming from my right indicating to
>> turn left. So I pulled out towards 2nd exit. However, the car didn't turn left
>> (its 1st exit) but came straight towards me (while still indicating left).
>>

The other driver was indicating inappropriately though it would have been your fault had there been a collision.

Logic says that you should not indicate on a roundabout until you reach your exit and then you should indicate left. Though where the main carriage way is, say, straight on, drivers entering from there can assume that a vehicle is exiting there and pull out, so right hand indicating can be useful to demonstrate that you are staying on the roundabout.
"Logic says that you should not indicate on a roundabout until you reach your exit and then you should indicate left. "

You should indicate left as soon as you are past the exit immediately before yours

"so right hand indicating can be useful to demonstrate that you are staying on the roundabout".

If you are turningright should approach in the right hand lane and signal right. Keep the right turn indicator on until you are past the exit before yours and then signal left.
 Misleading indication - Manatee

>> Logic says that you should not indicate on a roundabout until you reach your exit
>> and then you should indicate left.

You should indicate left as you pass the exit before the one you want. Indicating at the same time as doing something is too common.

You probably knew what you meant.

As to the misleading indication subject of this thread...clearly it was, as it misled somebody, but I can imagine the use of indicators purely for the purpose of changing lanes on a very large roundabout - I think I have probably done it myself.
 Misleading indication - Pat
>>Logic says that you should <<

Never, ever rely on an indicator until the wheels show the definite direction the vehicle is taking.

Pat
 Misleading indication - sherlock47
>> >>Logic says that you should <<
>>
>> Never, ever rely on an indicator until the wheels show the definite direction the vehicle
>> is taking.
>>
>> Pat
>>

Except in France - the older generations have never really understood roundabouts. The wheel direction whilst useful only indicates direction of travel at that instant in time. Very common to see cars navigate an outer circle all the way round!

Younger drivers are much better and have been taught correctly - and they indicate!
 Misleading indication - Mike H
>> Except in France - the older generations have never really understood roundabouts. The wheel direction
>> whilst useful only indicates direction of travel at that instant in time. Very common to
>> see cars navigate an outer circle all the way round!
>>
Common practice here in Austria as well, to see cars travel 270° round the outside of the roundabout. And signalling left, to indicate that you are staying on the roundabout, seems to be unheard of. Many roundabouts have a sign saying "Blinken beim verlassen", which means indicate when you are leaving the roundabou

It's only relatively recently that roundabouts have become common in Germany, which might explain why many people don't seem to use them, or indicate, properly.
 Misleading indication - No FM2R
>>whose fault it would have been

Yours. You pulled out into the other car's path.
 Misleading indication - DP
Unfortunately, it would have been the OPs fault, as others have said.

Similarly, being "flashed" out of junctions or through width restrictions has no basis in law. If you collide with the "flasher" and it wasn't your right of way, it's your fault.

My dad was involved in a collision last year where an oncoming car turned right straight across in front of him. The other driver tried to say that dad flashed him across (he didn't), but the insurance company said it was completely irrelevant whether he had or not. It was settled very quickly in dad's favour.

My bike instructor taught me never to assume anything based on signals or priorities. Treat all other road users as idiots. It's saved me a few times.
Last edited by: DP on Fri 5 May 17 at 12:55
 Misleading indication - movilogo
Yes, it would have been my fault - just wanted to clarify if dashcam footage would have helped. Looks like it would not.

Some drivers just don't bother indicating, which is actually better than indicating incorrectly.

Here is the Highway Code rules on signalling.
www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158

make sure your signals will not confuse others
www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/changes-and-answers/-highway-code-for-roundabouts
 Misleading indication - legacylad
A large volume of roundabouts in the Moraira/ teulada area where I am. It would appear that only the tourists in hire cars indicate.
Best not trusting anyone or boot it like the locals do and force into the tiniest of gaps

Yet surprisingly, they all stop when you hover anywhere near a pedestrian crossing. Apart from the local yoof on the mopeds who treat you as a mobile chicane
 Misleading indication - zippy
I was taught that flashing lights were the equivalent of the horn. I.e. be aware that I am here, which puts them at total contrast to their now customary usage,

I know of someone who flashed an on coming car which then proceeded to pull out of a junction and caused a crash.

Luckily not too major but the person without priority claimed that the flash gave permission to pull out and got aggravated when the other party with right of way told them that they thought they were going to pull out so flashed them as a warning.
 Misleading indication - Ted

Flash for cash has taken over from the sudden crash stop with no brake light bulbs in.

Anticipation....then Disbelief !
 Misleading indication - Cliff Pope
>> told
>> them that they thought they were going to pull out so flashed them as a
>> warning.
>>

That's the danger inherent in a short flash - similar in effect to a brief toot of the horn. A real warning needs an unmistakable blast.
Latest Forum Posts