Motoring Discussion > Can plastic roads help save the planet? Green Issues
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 7

Can plastic roads help save the planet? - VxFan

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39693091
 Can plastic roads help save the planet? - No FM2R
I saw that.

Apparently normal roads use 10% asphalt, but these beads help reduce that. It didn't say by how much, but I wonder how significant even half would be.

Other than using discarded plastic, it didn't say anything about the "green-ness" of the process, either.
 Can plastic roads help save the planet? - bathtub tom
I recall old tyres were added to road surface compounds to reduce noise and improve grip.
Whatever happened to that?
 Can plastic roads help save the planet? - The Melting Snowman
>> I recall old tyres were added to road surface compounds to reduce noise and improve
>> grip.
>> Whatever happened to that?

The idea obviously went flat.
 Can plastic roads help save the planet? - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> The idea obviously went flat.
>>
This is a serious subject, tread carefully.
 Can plastic roads help save the planet? - henry k
>> Other than using discarded plastic, it didn't say anything about the "green-ness" of the process,either.
>>
The road surface will obviously wear so what about the micro plastic dust crated ?
 Can plastic roads help save the planet? - CGNorwich
When they built the M6 Toll they used two and a half million pulped Mills and Boon paperbacks in the construction.
 Can plastic roads help save the planet? - stan10
Funny, but certainly in terms of road durability, we don't seem to have progressed from the Roman cobbles, which of course get "slippery when wet" but last for hundreds of years, and of course to slow down a bit is completely unacceptable isn't it ?
After all, Lewis Hamilton doesn't slow down for the weather does he ? .... Oh, he does ? well what does he know ?? I need to get home/pub/shop/work ...

Full marks to matey for thinking outside the box.

Possible negatives,
what happens to plastic in plus 30 degree heat, ( melt ?) [but so does bitumen] or minus 25 degrees, (crack ?)

Personally i think it's worth investigating further.

Thread drift (sorry) - the BBC has become my new "Daily Mail", they start off with a factual informative report, but at the finish they just can't help themselves from making the totally negative and downbeat statement ..

"But is road building the right priority ?"

So who is "prioritising" it BBC ?,
and what are YOU doing to save the planet BBC ?- throwing reporters all over the world to send "on the spot" reports that have no more clout or information than comments made from a UK studio ? etc., etc.

There isn't one answer to our modern problems, .. Quote ..

"Every Little Helps"
Latest Forum Posts