Motoring Discussion > Like it or lump it? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 41

Like it or lump it? - Runfer D'Hills
I've just discovered a lump in the sidewall of one of my front tyres. No damage apparent but it's about the size of half a ping pong ball sticking out halfway between the wheel rim and the tread. Can't remember hitting a pothole or whatever recently so it might have been there a while. No vibration through the steering either.

But, I guess I shouldn't really drive on that until it's replaced should I?
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 15 Apr 17 at 20:55
 Like it or lump it? - BiggerBadderDave
When I read "I've just discovered a lump", I was bracing for testicular problem.

Especially the "size of half a ping pong ball" description...
 Like it or lump it? - tyrednemotional
...that kerb was higher than you thought! :-)

I certainly wouldn't drive at speed, or any great distance.

Get it checked asap - probably Monday now.
 Like it or lump it? - Zero
>> Can't remember hitting a pothole or whatever
>> recently so it might have been there a while.

Probably the last time you kerbed it, surprised you forgot that we have reminded you often enough.
 Like it or lump it? - Old Navy
Is the door mirror on that side OK?
It's not the same wheel as the one with the barely perceptible, almost invisible, tiniest little ding in it.
 Like it or lump it? - Robin O'Reliant
A blow out waiting to happen. Having experienced a high speed one I wouldn't fancy another, definite replace ASAP or even sooner.
 Like it or lump it? - Fullchat
The integrity of the sidewall is compromised. As much as it hurts bin it sharpish.
 Like it or lump it? - No FM2R
>> It's not the same wheel ..............

So you've now crunched 50% of your wheels?

Time for Mrs. Humph to have a strong word, i feel. Maybe she could give you a few tips on maneuvering cars?
...not sure how he could kerb the other wheel without taking the car to the Continent - though maybe the chippie he inadvertently drove past was on the other side of the road this time.

;-)
>> It's not the same wheel as the one with the barely perceptible, almost invisible, tiniest
>> little ding in it.

You kerbed the other side now? Getting to be a bit of a habit now. Lets see thats

Mrs Humph Mirrors 3, Mr Humph wheels 2 .

Cant wait for extra time
 Like it or lump it? - Manatee
My experience of eggs on tyres is that they occur more on the inside sidewall than the outside one.

Have a proper look:)
No, I'm not going to take any chances with it. I do too many high-ish speed, fully laden miles to risk it. Odd though, no damage to the wheel, no visible abrasion on the tyre, just an apparently random lump. Pothole damage at a guess.
 Like it or lump it? - legacylad
Want to sell it cheap mister? I'm looking for a large estate car to put me on. I'd almost be better off with a van the amount of stuff I have to clear from a certain flat.
Good idea not to take any chances... does that mean you have to change both tyres so they have the equivalent tread depth?
Well, I don't know if it would be best to do that or not, but, both would have needed replacing within a couple of months anyway so I'll most probably just get two. ( 2 months = 6 or 7 thousand miles )
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 15 Apr 17 at 22:04
 Like it or lump it? - bathtub tom
Is the tyre brand named after a certain Scottish vet who's supposed to have discovered the pneumatic tyre?
If so, I've thrown away numerous of them due to lumps and bulges. I refuse to buy any now.
Pirelli P Zeros
....aahh, the Zeros. You have to lump those.....
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Git te
 Like it or lump it? - Aretas
Some years ago the Continental tyres on my A4 developed several sidewall bulges. I was worried about them but took it to a reputable tyre fitter who said they weren't a problem.

So, can't do any harm to get a professional to look at it.
 Like it or lump it? - Pat
The law says

'There must be no lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial fracture of its structure, neither must any portion of the ply or cord structure be exposed'

Pat
Up early today and have found a replacement tyre online ( P Zero ) available locally. Booked in to be fitted at 11.30 this morning. Unfortunately they don't have two available but not too worried about that, at least the dodgy one can be replaced. I can put another one on in due course.

Quite relieved given its a holiday weekend, but also I need to be on the road early doors on Tuesday for a long run as indeed I will every working day this coming week.

More importantly though, our Easter Monday mountain biking trip is back on. We could have used the Qashqai for that but it would have been a bit of a squeeze with 4 people and their bikes and ancillary kit. Glad we'll have the bigger car.
 Like it or lump it? - Cliff Pope
I'm surprised you even have to ask - it's obvious to me there is something seriously wrong with the tyre. To develop a bulge like that means the rubber must have softened.

You presumably welcome modern safety features like crumple-zones, side-impact bars, air bags, etc? You approve of wearing a seatbelt? Yet you are contemplating driving at 80mph with what in effect is an unexploded bomb?

Actually I did once use a vehicle with a tyre casing so perished that the inner tube was bulging through in places. But it was a large low-pressure tractor tyre, and I fixed it for a while by gluing carpet tiles over the holes on the inside of the casing.
But no, before you ask, I wouldn't advise your doing that to make your tyre safe. :)
Well, perhaps you won't be quite so astonished to learn that I'm replacing it then?

;-)
I suspect the bulges Aretas's tyreshad were not "eggs". I inherited some Matador tyres that had undulating sidewalls as if there were some cross bands in the sidewalls at intervals

I was told they were ok but I changed them anyway.
 Like it or lump it? - Cliff Pope
Yes, but an undulating sidewall there since new is one thing. But what I assume to be a new bulge shows something has changed in the structure's coherence?
>> Yes, but an undulating sidewall there since new is one thing. But what I assume
>> to be a new bulge shows something has changed in the structure's coherence?

Logical. And without an x-ray or dissection I don't see how anybody can possibly give assurance that it's OK. And they could of course be defective when new.

Quite a few people commented on this feature of the Matadors, which were fitted as standard on a lot of caravans. Coincidental perhaps but Matador have had a cooperation with Continental for some time and I believe Continental eventually bought Matador.
 Like it or lump it? - Dog
I have Dunlop Grandtreks (made in Japan) on my ole crate and would buy the same again.
>> My experience of eggs on tyres is that they occur more on the inside sidewall
>> than the outside one.
>>
>> Have a proper look:)
>>

It's probably an Easter "egg".
Well, that was relatively painless. New tyre fitted this morning at a local Kwik Fit by the branch manager. Only him and one other guy manning it today. Only one other customer there too. Very quiet being Easter Sunday. He did say it was wise to get it changed as it had obviously "had a knock" as he put it. Reckoned it was pothole damage as I suspected.

He even, without asking, did a free laser tracking check but assured me that it was all fine and no further work was needed.

All boos are tickety then.
Out of interest, was the tyre from "That" wheel?
No, the other side.
He's an equal opportunity wheel cruncher.
>> He's an equal opportunity wheel cruncher.

Prolific too.
He's probably grateful that as his very good friends we keep it quiet and never bring the subject up.
>> He's probably grateful that as his very good friends we keep it quiet and never
>> bring the subject up.
>>
I'll mirror that.
...I think we should probably kerb curb our responses.......
 Like it or lump it? - PeterS
Far be it from me to scaremonger, but if a front wheel went through a pothole there's a reasonable chance the rear followed... ;)

You'd hoped to replace two on the same axle - perhaps you should replace all 4 just in case... :p
And of course the suspension could have suffered damage as well. Maybe time for new shocks all round...?
 Like it or lump it? - Old Navy
Runfer often runs fully laden, could have cracked a suspension spring.
All ticketies are boo, but thanks for your concern...

:-)
Latest Forum Posts