Motoring Discussion > Honda 1 BMW 0 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PeterS Replies: 25

Honda 1 BMW 0 - PeterS
Careful cutting the grass this Easter weekend everyone; lawn mowers and gravel don't necessarily mix!!

tinyurl.com/l85lqn7

Last edited by: PeterS on Fri 14 Apr 17 at 20:32
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - Wibble
Ouch!

Feel for you!
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - tyrednemotional
...probably better the glass than the bodywork. ;-)

Are you sure it wasn't the bird from the second barrel?

(I did the same to an upstairs double-glazed window a few years ago!)
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - Wibble
Funnily enough there is an advert for motor mowers at the top of this page now.
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - VxFan
Top Gear did a similar thing when they converted a combine harvester into a gritting machine.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxgfFwEZjes
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - Runfer D'Hills
Yep, got that T shirt too. Took out a rear window in one of my cars a few years back.
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - Bobby
Should have gone with the second photo before cutting........
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - bathtub tom
I thought finding the cat poo with the strimmer was bad.........................................
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - Ted

My current misery is left thumbnail/angle grinder interface !
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - rtj70
Could be worse. I've known of someone who tried to flick a bit of wood off a table top circular saw... end of finger never successfully reattached back then. Or how about someone using a bench planer and accidentally getting the top one of their fingers in it when planing something at an angle.... ouch. Nothing to reattach.

The one who planed their finger off then drove to hospital whilst losing lots of blood. Realising they could lose consciousness they did the sensible thing (not).... picked up a hitch hiker. True story.
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - zippy
Daughter was doing her stint in A&E as part of her degree and in one day three guys came in through out the course of a morning with missing fingers.

One man was told that he would have to go to a trauma centre about an hour away for it to be reattached. He declined the offer as he was too busy!!! The consultant judged that the man was in shock so they transferred him anyway.

The third was the best when he asked "It will grow back won't it!?" She says she did glance round for hidden cameras at that point.

The muck ups because of overwork and too few resources are subject for another thread.
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - Zero
>> Yep, got that T shirt too. Took out a rear window in one of my
>> cars a few years back.

My Bosch rotary mower chucked a stone through my 6 foot high double glazed conservatory window.
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - Hard Cheese
So sorry to see that!

I've also got a Honda mower ..
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - PeterS
It'll teach me not to put Shell V Power in the mower; must have made the blade spin faster ;)
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - Bobby
I can recommend artificial turf.........
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - legacylad
Sorry to hear about the incident Peter.
I only use local Texaco unleaded in my Honda mower.
>> It'll teach me not to put Shell V Power in the mower; must have made
>> the blade spin faster ;)
>>

I have only put Ultimate or V-Powet in the mower for the last 15 years as it does not go stale ovet the winter.

The local garage has been BP then Shell then BP in that time ...
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - PeterS
I only put V Power in it as that's what goes in the cars, and sloshing 5 litres into a can at the same time, when needed, is easier than faffing about with two pumps...
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - PeterS
>> So sorry to see that!
>>
>> I've also got a Honda mower ..
>>

The Ultimate Driving Machine and The Power of Dreams... What a combination ;)

Though, the Honda mower has been one of the best value bits of garden/DIY equipment I've bought. It was definitely less than £300, though I can't remember exactly how much it was, has been completely reliable over 6 years and always starts first time, except for the first use after winter which generally requires two goes. I really ought to service it this year...;)
...it's funny how one's expectations of the life of such things changes.

My Mountfield petrol mower is still functioning after 30+ years of use. It's certainly quite "battered" now, and gets a service (by me) every other year, but I shall be quite disappointed if/when I have to replace it (and I have a much lower expectation of the life of any replacement).

Other than service items, the only replacement part it has had is a starter recoil spring which (given Tecumseh stopped making mower engines some time ago) appears to be a pattern part, common to many engines.
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - PeterS
It was more a comment on its complete reliability and ease of starting. I realise 5 years isn't very old for a mower, but in my experience the likelihood of one starting on the first 'pull' before the Honda was low...though possibly related to the lack of servicing as well ;)

Though a service kit for it is around £20, and when I enquiried the place I bought it from wanted £40 to service it. So I think given the price of these things, much lower in real terms than ever before, I'll probably not bother... which is odd, because people who take this approach with their cars infuriate me!!
Last edited by: PeterS on Sat 15 Apr 17 at 09:33
>> It was more a comment on its complete reliability and ease of starting.

I realise that, and it wasn't a "dig", it was a reflection on current expectations. Mine are lower than 30 years ago, and I think the second half of your post reflects much the same (disposable) mentality.
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - PeterS
That's okay...I dint take it as a dig, just that perahaps I hadn't been as clear as I intended :)

I worry that it the next 10 years I might be taking a similar approach to cars, and indeed if, as is likely, we're driving EVs of some sort what is there to service...? Tyres, wiper blades and screenwash ;)
My Honda mower is 17 years old thoigh still fairly contemporary, its had perhaps five oil changes, two air filters and one new spark plug, all 5 min DIY jobs so no excuse for not doing sooner. Though it starts first pull nearly every time.

If a biker asks what I have I might say I ride a Kawasaki, drive a BMW and cut the grass with a Honda ...
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - Ted

I don't have a lorne.....but if I did, I would have staff to cut it .
 Honda 1 BMW 0 - Falkirk Bairn
Son pinged a stone with the lawnmower - hit the garage door which sent it through the rear window of his then Lexus. Easily done!

Repairing the rear screen was fraught with issues as at the time of manufacture the heated screen connectors changed & there were several shades of tinting depending on exact model (his was a special edition) - 4 attempts & 2 fitted screens before connector & tint were matched.
Latest Forum Posts