Motoring Discussion > Easter - busiest roads. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 19

Easter - busiest roads. - henry k
if you are not already aware of the worst routes.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39503740
 Easter - busiest roads. - Bromptonaut
Oh dear. M6 17 to 19 is on my route this afternoon. Hopefully will be quieter by 4pm.
 Easter - busiest roads. - Zero
The M25 between Leatherhead and Chiswell is likely to see the worst delays on Thursday, particularly between 16:00 and 18:00 BST.

WTF is Chiswell?
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 14 Apr 17 at 10:34
I see the report lists the M74. Isn't that in Scotland? I thought the roads were empty up there.
 Easter - busiest roads. - Runfer D'Hills
They usually are, until the flipping English start swarming up in their hordes for a bit of respite and cultural realignment.

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 14 Apr 17 at 10:53
>> They usually are, until the flipping English start swarming up in their hordes for a
>> bit of respite and cultural realignment.
>>
>> ;-)

Having discovered neither they leave with indigestion and insect bites.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 14 Apr 17 at 11:25
 Easter - busiest roads. - PeterS
Some of the worst traffic jams I've been caught in in recent years have been in Scotland, on the road over the Forth Road bridge. Absolute chaos. However, we've generously, out of the kindness of our hearts despite their general antipathy if not hatred of us, paid for a new bridge for them, so perhaps it's better now ;)
>> The M25 between Leatherhead and Chiswell is likely to see the worst delays on Thursday,
>> particularly between 16:00 and 18:00 BST.

>>
>> WTF is Chiswell?
>>

My thoughts too.
Google only points to - Chiswell is a small fishing village at the southern end of Chesil Beach,

Any guesses ? a typo ?
 Easter - busiest roads. - Old Navy
The M8, M9, and M90 were busier and slower than usual today, running at about 60 to 70mph. Too many tourists, caravans, and weekend drivers. My journey time estimates had been pre adjusted to compensate. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 14 Apr 17 at 13:17
 Easter - busiest roads. - helicopter
Chiswell interchange is the M25 / M1 junction .
Never heard it called that before, its universally known in traffic reports as J21/M1
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 14 Apr 17 at 13:49
>> Never heard it called that before, its universally known in traffic reports as J21/M1
>>
I agree .

So it was not a typo but a thicko! Chocolate teapot comes to mind :-(
 Easter - busiest roads. - sooty123
Yes I always found it confusing when people used 'local' names for mway junctions, couldn't ever place them, i don't know why. Much clearer to use numbers. Mind you the nearest mway is about 50 mins away so not so much of an issue.
 Easter - busiest roads. - Dog
NFC [Normal-for-Cornwall]

www.cornwalllive.com/a30-at-a-standstill-due-to-bodmin-roadworks-congestion-and-fallen-tree-at-chiverton-cross/story-30271036-detail/story.html
 Easter - busiest roads. - Wibble
This is not going to help the Bank Holiday traffic....

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-39601060

In the 1990's when a similar one went over on a nearby motorway slip road the fire services rescued the driver and left the lorry for a few weeks with a fire tender a few hundred feet ahead of it.

The rationale was that it was dangerous and would instantly freeze a crew if it ruptured.

It was actually through the crash barriers and on to the grass so out of the way of traffic.

The cost of the crew 24/7 must have been horrendous.
>> The cost of the crew 24/7 must have been horrendous.
>>

Why? They would have been on their normal shift rota.
 Easter - busiest roads. - Roger.
I was in a traffic jam today. Three cars waiting to get into Sainsbury's car park.

Thread drift: I can recommend Sainsbury's own label Easter Eggs at £0.80 each.
>> >> The cost of the crew 24/7 must have been horrendous.
>> >>
>>
>> Why? They would have been on their normal shift rota.
>>

I suspect, as the local fire house would have been short staffed, overtime would have been paid to fill the gap.
>> I suspect, as the local fire house would have been short staffed, overtime would have
>> been paid to fill the gap.
>>

Resources are pooled over the area, one crew and vehicle are easily covered for. When fire resources are committed other equipment and their crews are temporarily moved to cover the area.
Would add that the slip road was one of those loops that seem to get tighter resulting in cars moving to the outside lane.

A maximum 40 mph sign has been added since but the truck driver was probably caught out with a heavy load and a car in front being overcome by the "g force" of the turn and cutting in front of the truck.

Latest Forum Posts