Motoring Discussion > Any new Beetle owners on here? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 39

Any new Beetle owners on here? - Bobby
Thinking of getting the missus another Beetle - choice between the 1.2 or 1.4 engines.
It is second hand so beggars cant be choosers.
1.2 is £130 tax and better fuel economy than the £190 tax of the 1.4.

Most of her driving is about town and she probably does around 8000 miles a year so the economy isn't going to break the bank either way.

Anyone got any experience of these engines, not sure if it is the same ones in other VAG cars? The 1.4 has 158bhp which I think could help make the driving experience better for me when I am forced to drive it!
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - Old Navy
My view is bigger engine doing the same job, less stressed, little if any higher fuel consumption, more pleasurable to drive, your choice!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 6 Apr 17 at 13:44
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - R.P.
Is the 1.4 the TSI ?
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - rtj70
It's the mention of 158bhp that's a bit puzzling. The engine in other cars was 150PS (or lower) - that's what my A3 has. It's been fine. 250Nm of torque.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 6 Apr 17 at 14:53
It would appear at some point in 2014 they switched from 160 to 150bhp although both called tsi engines.? Think the newer is TSI Bluemotion?
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - R.P.
TSI would be the rather fine petrol engine. Came close to buying a Golf thus equipped when I was er...between cars.
As I say I've got the 150PS VAG petrol engine. But I would not assume it's the same as the 160PS one. They dropped to 140PS with it for a bit and then upped to 150PS when I got the Audi in 2014.

There was of course the 1.4TSI engine that VW used in some cars that was turbo charged and supercharged and produced 170PS. Didn't someone on here have a Jetta with that engine?

VAG are now replacing the 1.4 litre petrol engines with a 1.5 litre development.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 6 Apr 17 at 17:42
>>There was of course the 1.4TSI engine that VW used in some cars that was turbo charged and supercharged and produced 170PS. Didn't someone on here have a Jetta with that engine?

Think that's the one - from research it seems to have a turbo and supercharged. Was widely used across the VAG group inc Golfs, Sciroccos etc.
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - Falkirk Bairn
Long time ago Company "saved money" & gave engineers 1300cc cars rather than the previous 1600cc cars to save money.

Petrol consumption went up as they held the lower gears to make progress. Repairs were also up - warranties were 12 mths/ 12K miles in those days & the company held on to them for 3 years!
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - Hard Cheese
Didn't VAG have problems with a chain cam 1.4 which they replaced with a belt cam variant (which really did not make sense to me)?

Could the 160ps version be the troublesome chain cam version and the 150 the newer belt cam version?

Any new Beetle owners on here? - spamcan61
>> Didn't VAG have problems with a chain cam 1.4 which they replaced with a belt
>> cam variant (which really did not make sense to me)?
>>
>> Could the 160ps version be the troublesome chain cam version and the 150 the newer
>> belt cam version?
>>
The man with the trilby reckons VAG had lots of problems with cam chains between 2012 and 2015 due to extending the life of the tooling. Worth checking the car by car breakdown before any purchase.
>>The man with the trilby reckons VAG had lots of problems with cam chains between 2012 and 2015 due to extending the life of the tooling. Worth checking the car by car breakdown before any purchase.

Doesn't seem to mention this in his review of the Beetle.
Anyone on here from Preston area?
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - spamcan61
Mentioned at the foot of this column:-

tinyurl.com/k6365dq

and elsewhere, but no clues what specific engines.
Cheers spamcam - also found this article
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=95765

doesnt fill me with much confidence!

It has to be a Beetle, but it would appear none of the engines are any good!!

Aaarrgghh!
With the savings on the mortgage get a newer Beetle with an okay engine :-)
Spam, seriously thanks for flagging this up. Has made me have a rethink.

Trying to find if there are similar issues with the 1.2tsi but can't seem to find any?
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - Manatee
Hi Bobby.

Our Popemobile has the 1.2TSI 105PS; Although a 2014, it has the earlier chain cam version which I believe was fitted to some Skodas for longer than some of the sister brand cars. Wikipedia lists the Beetle as among its applications.

This version has the exhaust side of the engine at the front and will have an engine code (first 4 of engine number) CBZB. The 86PS version is CBZA. I believe the later belt cam 1.2TSI has the exhaust side facing backwards. This might aid identification.

There's some bumf on this engine here (Audi 'study guide') - goo.gl/89Po4m which gives some clues as to how complex engines are these days.

I knew about the cam chain issues when I bought it. It was built early 2014 and the received wisdom is that a modified chain and tensioner were fitted from sometime in 2011. If you are buying used, the cam chain issue is a rattle on start up that takes a few seconds to go away, and a noticable ticking (I have read, I've never heard it fortunately).

It is really nippy in real world driving, owing to the turbo of course which means decent power at moderate rpms. The Beetle weighs about one fat person more than the Roomster so might be a bit slower.

That ours has been fine doesn't prove much as it has only done 12,000 miles. As with all chain cams I wouldn't stretch the oil changes beyond annual/10,000 miles.

Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 8 Apr 17 at 15:09
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - Dog
>>received wisdom

Perceived wisdom ;-)

>> If you are buying used, the cam chain issue is a rattle on start up that takes a few seconds to go away

The Almeras used to suffer from that issue and mine did indeed used to rattle on start up.

>> As with all chain cams I wouldn't stretch the oil changes beyond annual/10,000 miles.

I used to do mine every six months using Castrol Magnatec which quietened things down somewhat.

Thanks Manatee.

The car I am looking at is 2012, 1.4 engine. In 2012 there are lots of comments and issues online about these engines from as far back as 2009 and there seems to be suggestions that there were modifications made at that point.

Car is coming with a 1 year warranty , I am currently waiting for dealer to come back to me with the indepth information on the warranty, whether it would cover total engine failure, and whether its service schedule up to now fits the warranty company's criteria.

decisions... decisions....
So dealer has came back to me with information on the warranty and it covers all the mechanicals, engines, turbos etc. Comes with one year warranty or a second year can be added for £170. Think I would be tempted to do that (once I obviously see the small print).

So the situation is take this car which is within the budget and has the toys / spec she would want, or ditch the idea totally for a couple of years. I have a very good indie mechanic who would service it and look after it. But a supercharged 1.4 with turbo to drive around town!!

Cant see any 1.2s in the spec and price range. That could be a better option as less powerful, more mpg and less road tax.
Though which engine is it? As I alluded to above there is a VAG chain cam 1.4 of that era that is troublesome.

I would avoid unless it can be absolutely guaranteed by engine number, or by being the later belt cam version, that it is not an implicated engine.

Pretty sure it is the 1.4 chain one - how would I find out for definite?
Its the 158bhp and that seems to be the troublesome one.
I wonder what percentage of them were faulty? Would it have shown up by now , 5 years later?

I might ask for the dealer details from the service book and contact them. Car is in Preston so not exactly handy for me to nip in and have a look around when I am in Glasgow!
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - Runfer D'Hills
Nicest stretch of motorway in Britain in between though !
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - tyrednemotional
>> Nicest stretch of motorway in Britain in between though !
>>

...Southbound..
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - Runfer D'Hills
I feel similarly about the M1 northbound at Brent Cross, the best possible view of London is it getting smaller in the rear view mirror.

;-)
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - Auntie Lockbrakes
Bobby - see if it is the same engine as used in the Polo GTI of that era? Turbo and supercharged? Very unreliable I seem to recall. Do some Googling?!
The twin charge (turbo + supercharger) is definitely one to avoid. Horribly complicated apparently.
The troublesome turbo/supercharged unit was in the Golf GT IIRC, the GT, not the GTi.

However I think there were also 1.4 turbo only units affected by the cam chain problems.
Yeah the head is ruling the heart now and I am stepping away from the 1.4TSI now.

Ironically, prob means I may end up going down the diesel route again which is not ideal but if their petrol engines are naff then its the only choice. Unless I can free up more cash to get a more up to date version but rather not go down that route.
There are a few other cars in the same genre, Mini, Fiat 500 etc. Or if you want a VW perhaps get a Golf with the later engine, much more practical.

It has to be a Beetle. Nothing else.
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - Dog
>>It has to be a Beetle. Nothing else.

Perhaps the lady would like a cockchafer: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchafer

:}
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - No FM2R
I think you are going way over the top with this.

Not to say that there has not been a problem, but not every Beetle made has bitten the dust.

Buy the car, get a good deal, get it insured/warrantied, factor in the possible cost / likelihood of repair versus the deal you're getting and get on with it.

Sometimes life is just too short.
Or...

goo.gl/vS3mOe

2007 "Mexican" Beetle.
All new Beetles are made in Mexico aren't they?
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - CGNorwich
According to Wiki they are now assembled in Vietnam.
>> According to Wiki they are now assembled in Vietnam.

The New Beetle still is. But the new new Beetle is made in Mexico. Referred to as Beetle (A5).
 Any new Beetle owners on here? - CGNorwich
So why did you ask?
I was heading that way myself, warranty so just get on with it.
But I didn't warn to the dealer, no "how can I help" or any volunteered information at all so will just forget about that particular car.
The 1.2 petrol from about 2013 onwards seems to have none of the issues of the previous engines, its belt not chain, not supercharged and seems to be the sensible choice.
Now to find one in my budget!
Latest Forum Posts