Motoring Discussion > New Car Suggestions Buying / Selling
Thread Author: mikeyb Replies: 34

New Car Suggestions - mikeyb
A little while ago I started a thread regarding returning a Motability car.

Said car went back and my widowed friend was left with no car....until her MIL had a minor bump in her Jazz so decided to give up driving and gifted her the car. All has been well since although the Jazz is really too small for her plus 4 kids.

A couple of weeks back she came out of church to find something had hit the Jazz and caused quite a bit of damage - still driveable, but rear door wont open. No note left.........As luck would have it a lady who lives on the road approached her a few days later to say she had witnessed the accident but didn't know whos car it was - one of the local busses hit it and she had written down all the details. Bus company started by denying it as the drier hadnt reported it, but when she mentioned eye witness and failing to stop they agreed to sort it as they self insure. Result is Jazz is a write off and they have given her 3K for it.

Now she needs to find something to replace it - 7 seats would be useful but is not a given - budget could stretch to 5K but preferably less. She likes the Citroen C4 Grand Picasso but I worry it could be trouble at that price point. I've suggested Toyota Corolla Verso, or its possible a S-Max could be just in budget

Zafira is off the list as she hates them - what other options are there that I haven't considered as I'm under pressure to try and find something this weekend!
 New Car Suggestions - Bobby
Grand Scenic?
>> Grand Scenic?
>>

Lots to choose from but I have an aversion to Renaults and I worry that a sub 5K one could be a money pit. I only live around the corner so will be the first port of call when it goes wrong!
 New Car Suggestions - Bobby
Search on autotrader and filter for 7 seats and your budget.
Corolla Verso and Mazda 5 lots of

Is her types of journey going to be a diesel killer?
>> Search on autotrader and filter for 7 seats and your budget.
>> Corolla Verso and Mazda 5 lots of
>>
>> Is her types of journey going to be a diesel killer?

Yes, I should have added that - mostly 1 or 2 mile stop / start. Few long journeys to visit family, but probably less that 3 or 4 times a year
 New Car Suggestions - The Melting Snowman
Japanese, petrol and manual gearbox. As close to stress-free motoring as you are likely to get.
 New Car Suggestions - Roger.
SEAT Alhambra.
 New Car Suggestions - Duncan
>> Japanese, petrol and manual gearbox. As close to stress-free motoring as you are likely to
>> get.
>>

Japanese, petrol and automatic gearbox. As close to stress-free motoring as you are likely to get.

Fixed it for you.
 New Car Suggestions - No FM2R
>>German, petrol and automatic gearbox. As close to stress-free motoring as you are likely to get.
>
>Fixed it for you.

Ah, you didn't get it *quite* right. But don't worry, I've improved it for you.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 31 Mar 17 at 22:41
For no explicable reason it has to be manual. I was thinking Japanese was probably safest option.

My concern is that she is leaning towards the C4 grand Picasso so I'm not sure if I should steer her away from that idea or not.

Have seen a couple of Toyota Versos and Mazda 5's in a local auction on Monday - could be tempted to just go and pick one up to avoid her drifting into a garage and buying something because she likes the colour
Just been advised that a Qashqai would be nice. I know some speak highly of them here - any thoughts?
 New Car Suggestions - Runfer D'Hills
The Qashqai I had as a company car ( 2.0 diesel auto 4x4 Tekna ) was ok. But just ok, for me anyway. Not inspiring to drive but not unpleasant either. A bit bouncy now and then due to a shortish wheelbase combined with tall, firm suspension and low-ish profile tyres. It was just "a car" to me. Did the job but it was never one of those you just want to take for a drive for the fun of it. That of course was the "old" model. The new ones might be better.

However, horses for courses because my wife loves hers. Had it 6 years and counting. It's an entry trim level ( Visia ) 1.6 petrol manual which we bought when it was 2 years old. She simply adores it and every time I mention that it might be time to move it on, she says she can't really think of anything she'd rather have ( within the bounds of our financial capabilities ! )

I sometimes drive it and in truth I can't fault it other than it being a bit too sitty uppy for my tastes. It goes ok, it handles ok, it's comfortable enough and apart from its detachable door mirror issues ( not sure that's entirely a design fault ! ) it has been utterly reliable. 60 odd thousand miles on it now and it still feels tight and together.

If your friend wants a good all rounder that should prove reliable then it could be ideal. If the brief is for something you'd enjoy throwing down a country lane then it might not be.

Edit - just re-read your original post. at £5k it's going be the old model like ours. Don't bother with the fancy spec ones, the Visias are well equipped with Bluetooth, aircon, alloys etc.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 1 Apr 17 at 11:18
Have to say though, I had to smile ( inwardly ) a while back when we had some friends round and out of the 8 ladies present, 3 of them had Qashqais. One of them remarked on that by saying that the three concerned had always liked cars that were "a bit different".

I really didn't have the heart...

;-)
 New Car Suggestions - Manatee
A colleague had one, 2.0 diesel IIRC probably a 2005 or thereabouts so superseded now, but it felt quite small to me. Short seat squabs (just an impression, I didn't get a tape measure out), little rear legroom.

OK for small people?

It also had repeated problems with the DPF blocking and needing to be taken to the dealer for a burn-off at £100 a go. eventually it needed the DPF replacing. Tne user probably did a 15 mile each way commute, although it involved a congested section of the M1.

She has a Macan now, coincidentally.
>> She has a Macan now, coincidentally.

Yeah, they are both a bit of a girls car...

;-p
Thanks for the useful feedback - she appears more excited about the squashy than anything else I've suggested although I'm thinking of trimming her budget a bit. She has 3K from the write off, but is thinking she could scrape 1.5 to 2K together on top - I know this will be tight for her and leaves no contingency so I'm trying to persuade her to spend the 3K and have a few quid left for anything that needs doing.

From looking around the difference between a 3 isK and sub 5K isnt vast bar a couple of years and a few thousand miles - her expectation is a little unrealistic in that she thinks her "extra" budget will get something a lot newer. Am I also right in thinking that most of the warranties that dealers peddle at this end of the market are pretty worthless?
The engines seem pretty reliable and the 1.6 petrol is reasonable on fuel. Chain cam too so no belt change bills looming. For local pottering about its more than adequate. Bit noisy on the motorway though due to low gearing I guess.

I'd agree with you, go for a cheaper one to allow for any maintenance costs. Tyres for the ones with 16" wheels are way cheaper than ones for the models fitted with 17".
 New Car Suggestions - legacylad
Runfer... "I will look for you, I will find you, I will kill you"
Cheeky SOAB

Mine will have an old petrol mower in the back of it, a work platform, bow saw and general blokes tools

Girls car indeed ....
Look it's the 21st century and all that, I have no problem with people anywhere on the gender/identity spectrum. And if you have the confidence to carry it off then bless you. But it is a bit of a girls car isn't it?

;-)
www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-porsche-is-wooing-women-761218

www.wsj.com/articles/porsche-macan-s-is-this-compact-crossover-barbies-dream-car-1424449021

Despite that, I'd drive it, I think it looks great.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 1 Apr 17 at 16:32
Oh of course I'd drive it too, and enjoy doing so no doubt.

But, "Barbie's dream car" is a bit of a clue isn't it?

;-)))
Its got 6 cylinders, that's pretty macho. Surely a more effeminate car would only have 4 cylinders??
 New Car Suggestions - Roger.
The ideal girly car would be a Deux Chevaux Dolly or Charleston. :-)
No look it's fine, and maybe Yorkshire is more kind of "inclusive" these days than I remember. Jolly nice car, pleased for him, I wouldn't think for one moment he'll care, or indeed should care if anyone thinks it's, well, you know, a bit of a WAG's special...

;-))))
I'm sure it will be the perfect complement to my Michael Kors manbag
Well, you'd think.

But we need to consider colour, because I think all MK Manbags are coloured.

What colour is the car going to be?
Depends which manbag I'll mostly be wearing this season....
Oh look its a lovely car, a car anyone could proud of. You'll enjoy it immensely. I'd enjoy it too. But, it is a bit, well, y'know, of course you know...nothing to be ashamed of, on the contrary, it's the modern world and all, tuck in, be yourself, don't listen to the dinosaurs...nobody will think less of you...

;-))))
 New Car Suggestions - tyrednemotional
...you'll be mostly wearing grey. - to go with the new car (but mainly, your hair)

:-O
There was an opportunity to buy a few yo C63. Truth is I bottled it. Just too much ooomph for an old bloke. It'll be fine.
And I don't wear grey. Apart from some pale grey 511s I bought cheap from a Thrift store a few years ago when I'd spent all my backpacking budget on Patron Gold and other stuff.
I'd be interested to hear opinions as to colour & interior trim
Finding that petrol is limiting this search quite a bit. Would a 1.5 diesel Qashqai be a mistake?
 New Car Suggestions - Dog
Quite a long list of "what to watch out for" www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/qashqai-2007/?section=good
Decided against the Qasquai idea - appears that most within budget were pretty tired, skimped servicing etc apart from one at a main dealer taken as a part ex, but that sold before I got a look in.

Have found a Toyota Verso 1.8 - same lady owner since new, full toyota service history - looks very tidy - plan to pick up ASAP so will update when I get my hands on it
 New Car Suggestions - Auntie Lockbrakes
How did that Toyota Verso turn out, mikeyb?!
>> How did that Toyota Verso turn out, mikeyb?!
>>

Got the train up to collect - seller was good enough to collect me from train station. Car was very clean and exactly as described - fully stamped up service book with each service done on time at local main dealer. Goodyear tyres with approx 5mm all around and a fresh MOT. I'd looked on line at the past MOT's and its never failed - just an advisory for high level of handbrake. 98K on an 06 plate - deal done at £1900

Radio not working as already advised by seller - a quick google found its a common problem on these so an aftermarket jobbie will go in at some point.

Drove it the 80 miles home and was very impressed - fairly quiet and feels very well screwed together - I could easily live with it, although 5th gear is not tall enough for my liking on the motorway

Friend was very pleased and thought I had spent more of her budget so heres hoping she has no trouble with it
Latest Forum Posts