Motoring Discussion > Rain X
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 44

Rain X - Duncan
Has anyone tried Rain X?

www.rainx.com/
 Rain X - Bromptonaut
>> Has anyone tried Rain X?

Yes, use it on front side windows and door mirrors. Does what it says on the bottle.
 Rain X - sherlock47
Deadful stuff! Google it and you will find it polarises opinion. Once on VERY difficult to ever regain your original crystal clear windscreen.

Use on side windows or mirrors but never on the screen.
 Rain X - Bromptonaut
>> Use on side windows or mirrors but never on the screen.

Indeed.

Tried it on rear screen but no good. Part of problem is that it needs airflow to carry the droplets away. Both my cars have a vertical tailgate so turbulence and spray, no top>rear flow.

Initially OK on unswept areas of front screen but is defeated by build up of dirt,
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 15 Mar 17 at 08:55
 Rain X - Haywain
"Use on side windows or mirrors but never on the screen."

I tried Rain-X some 10 years ago after a recommendation from my BiL and made the mistake of applying it to all the windows, including the windscreen.

At first, I was amazed at the way the rain bounced off the screen; with just a light rain, I didn't have to use the wipers at all ....... fantastic. But after a few days, the effectiveness wore off and, in a heavier shower, I used the wipers - and then I discovered my error. The screen smeared and was a devil of a mess; I eventually managed to get rid of it after considerable effort and elbow-grease.

It may be OK on side windows but, as previously mentioned, DON'T put it on the windscreen.
 Rain X - NortonES2
Ditto! Never again.
 Rain X - Dog
www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/35966/rain-repellents
 Rain X - sooty123
I've not used it before, I've none those that have. Very much a marmite product, perhaps it's very particular in how you apply it?
 Rain X - Dog
Cheaper to use 'alf a King Edward and y'all can always use it for chips afterwards :o
 Rain X - maltrap
As Autoexpress probably carry advertising for Rain x, i think their opinion may be a tad biased.
As a non affiliated ex user of this product i think it's carp.
 Rain X - TheManWithNoName
I recently gave my car a good clean and finished off using Rain X on the windows.
When fresh, any rain drops just get swept away by airflow and you don't have to use the wipers so much. But after it wears off it smears like a "expletive" and seems to highlight every scratch and micro groove in the windscreen.
I won't be using it again, at least not on my windscreen.
 Rain X - No FM2R
Even on the side windows its only alright as long as they are getting properly wet but if its drizzle with road dirt then its a nightmare.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 15 Mar 17 at 21:56
 Rain X - MD
I think the X is a clue. Now if it was a tick :-)
 Rain X - Shiny
It only works on brand new screens, say under a month old. As soon as they get microscopic chips in the surface, the water beads tenaciously to each of these defects making the RainX have the opposite effect to what it was supposed to. It may work better on the side windows as tehy don't get hit by the sand and grit. I find it works well on the inside and thereafter they have less buildup of haze.

PS/ This stuff is great for car glass cleaning and use around the kitchen...
www.therange.co.uk/cooking-and-household/household/cleaning/cleaning-products/multi-purpose-cleaners/homecare-ammonia-liquid#482833
 Rain X - Bromptonaut
>> PS/ This stuff is great for car glass cleaning and use around the kitchen...
>> www.therange.co.uk/cooking-and-household/household/cleaning/cleaning-products/multi-purpose-cleaners/homecare-ammonia-liquid#482833

When I was a kid everybody had a bottle of ammonia solution in their cleaning cupboard. Not sure it's even sold in mainstream supermarkets now.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 20 Mar 17 at 13:11
 Rain X - Shiny
>> >>
>> When I was a kid everybody had a bottle of ammonia solution in their cleaning
>> cupboard. Not sure it's even sold in mainstream supermarkets now.
>>
Thanks - here and Amazon (expensive) couldn't find it on the highstreet or the supermarket's online shopping search. It cleaned our cookerhood better than anything and is not corrosive or flammable.
 Rain X - Old Navy
Homebase sell ammonia in their household cleaning products range. It is branded "Max".

max.challs.com/gb/
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 20 Mar 17 at 13:49
 Rain X - Old Navy
I don't know if it is any good at removing Rainx, as I would not entertain it near my car, but decorators sugar soap is a good windscreen cleaner. Easier to find than ammonia.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 20 Mar 17 at 16:11
 Rain X - MD
Doesn't sugar soap scratch?
 Rain X - Bromptonaut
>> Doesn't sugar soap scratch?

According to Wiki it usually contains an abrasive agent but formulations vary.

Are there abrasives that will shift loose paint etc but are too soft to scratch glass?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 20 Mar 17 at 16:36
 Rain X - CGNorwich
It dissolves in water. You can get it in liquid form as well. Never thought to use it on a windscreen but I guess it would work as it removes anything greasy. Its a bit harsh on the hands though so gloves would be a good idea
 Rain X - Old Navy
>> Doesn't sugar soap scratch?
>>

It has not scratched any of my windscreens, I don't think it is any more abrasive than glass polish. I use it as a glass wash, it does not need heavy pressure to degrease the screen.
 Rain X - CGNorwich
It seems to be popular with the detailing fraternity. I might give it a try.
 Rain X - riddler
Methylaeted Spirits will remove Rain X and other greasy deposits from glass it is an excellent degreaseant and is commonly used to clean glass after a window has been glazed (removes the greasy residue from putty). Also its good for cleaning wiper blades if they judder over the windscreen
 Rain X - CGNorwich
I wonder why self cleaning glass has never been used in cars. It certainly works well in commercial and domestic applications. The water just rolls off and takes the dirt with it. I think Pilkingtons own the patent. It would seem ideal for unswept windows.
 Rain X - Runfer D'Hills
What would people do in suburbia on Sunday mornings if they did that? Could tear the very fabric of society apart.

;-)
 Rain X - CGNorwich
Yep I guess you're right. Unforeseen consequences and all that.
 Rain X - No FM2R
>>I wonder why self cleaning glass has never been used in cars

Fancy, who'd a thunk it even existed

Save anybody else duplicating my effort of Googling....

www.pilkington.com/en-gb/uk/householders/types-of-glass/self-cleaning-glass/how-does-it-work
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 20 Mar 17 at 19:43
 Rain X - CGNorwich
I was aware of the stuff as my neighbour has it on his conservatory. Works very well. Very good idea idea for areas that ate difficult to access.
 Rain X - smokie
My window cleaner turns up with a van with his own hoses and water. he washes the windows but doesn't squegee them dry. Because the water is pure water it dries with no dips. So he says...

Rain X - henry k
We have many van men with long wavy things washing windows in our area.
H & S like em, cos no ladders or falls, van man likes it cos its quicker.
Some plug their hose from the van into your garden tap. I am not sure if it is to top up their on board tank prior to a de-mineralising process or if the first wash is with tap water and the rinse is with treated water.
 Rain X - NortonES2
Ah yes, the same molecular sieve the tyre places use:)
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Tue 21 Mar 17 at 11:54
 Rain X - Oldgit
>> My window cleaner turns up with a van with his own hoses and water. he
>> washes the windows but doesn't squegee them dry. Because the water is pure water it
>> dries with no dips. So he says...
>>

There's a bloke in our area who has a smart looking van etc. and uses a telescopic water fed pole and equipment at the end to clean windows up to two storeys high but I would not touch him with bargepole.
Our double glazed window frames, although containing new Pilkington K glass units, are powder coated Aluminium with a white finish and that finish has now chalked such that any washing of the glass, by that method would result in a stream of white stains over the glass and then over the brickwork/Wooden beams as the excess of 'pure water' runs down the house walls.
I suppose it's OK on PVC window frames but I think the whole idea, although easy for him, probably doesn't give very satisfactory results. Mind you, so many people nowadays have shutters or blinds on the inside of their windows or perhaps even nets that they wouldn't even notice whether they were clean or not. And most are, nowadays, not even at home during the day!
 Rain X - henry k
>>Our double glazed window frames, although containing new Pilkington K glass units,
>> are powder coated Aluminium with a white finish and that finish has now chalked
>>such that any washing of the glass, by that method would result in a stream of white stains over the glass and then over the brickwork/Wooden beams as the excess of 'pure water' runs down the house walls.
>>
My white finished aluminium frames are 10 years old and show no sign of chalking.
We would certainly know if it happened as one flank gets hammered by the prevailing rain.
 Rain X - Bromptonaut
Our windows get cleaned about twice a year by yours truly. Upstairs can be done through the opened hopper with just a little manual dexterity.

There used to be a couple of blokes with ladders who came every 6 weeks. I've a strong suspicion that if we were out their activity was limited to putting a bill through the door.

Same guys would do odd jobs including painting a neighbour's garage door. Cheap water based paint flaked off in a few months.
 Rain X - CGNorwich
Actually they give very satisfactory results. At least as good and possibly better than with a squeegee. We have our windows cleaned this way now and the water stains neither the glass or the brickwork. It is purified by reverse osmosis machine which removes any impurities such as calcium carbonate in the water.

It also removes the risk of damage to the property by ladders -

Most commercial properties are now cleaned with this process. The only windows they do not recommend being cleaned with this method are traditionally glazed windows whihc have not beeen maintained properly. If the putty is loose the water jets could do further damage.
 Rain X - henry k
>>The only windows they do not recommend being cleaned with this method are traditionally glazed windows which have not been maintained properly.
>> If the putty is loose the water jets could do further damage.
Putty?
I suspect that it is more a case of "blown" leaded windows and the poorly controlled pressure of leaning the head of the pole on the glass may push the glass in.

I suspect this method does a poor job on upstairs window sills.
Last edited by: henry k on Tue 21 Mar 17 at 16:29
 Rain X - CGNorwich
Yes putty. It tends to crack as it ages and should be checked and replaced when necessary. something which is rarely done

And no it cleans my upstairs window cills very well. Thorougly recommend the system.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 21 Mar 17 at 16:43
 Rain X - Roger.
Horrid system, does not work as swell as the ladder, detergent and squeegee method.
Our "traditional" window cleaner had to give up, as climbing ladders was playing hell with his arthritis.
He sold his round to a long pole merchant.
Unfortunately we have no choice now, as all three cleaners who serve our little road use the purified water system.
Funnily enough, as I was dewatering the boot of our Jazz today, a smart Mercedes van-borne duo were cleaning next door's windows using water piped from a tank on the vehicle. They made no attempt to canvass our business, which, to me, showed a singular lack of commercial nous.
Is there a non-competing agreement amongst window cleaners?
 Rain X - Dog
I was a window cleaner 50 years ago (not many people know this) I used to work for a wrestler and a fireman who did window cleaning when they weren't fighting and firefighting.

The cushiest jobs were cleaning the shop windows down the Strand whereas the new-build Pimlico contract was too much like work.

I was only 15 and should have still been at school really. The old dears use to watch me from behind net curtains cleaning their windows and moan to the gaffer about all the smears I used to leave.

Good money in window cleaning back then - plenty of women too, for the wrestler and the fireman, especially the fireman!!
 Rain X - Old Navy
>> I don't know if it is any good at removing Rainx, as I would not
>> entertain it near my car, but decorators sugar soap is a good windscreen cleaner. Easier
>> to find than ammonia.
>>

I have a bottle of Halfords intensive glass cutter in the garage, it looks, smells, feels, and works like Mrs ONs ceramic hob cleaner. Same stuff different bottle?
 Rain X - Bromptonaut
>> Even on the side windows its only alright as long as they are getting properly
>> wet but if its drizzle with road dirt then its a nightmare.

I really hate the mix of spray and dirt that fogs the window and allows shadows to be cast on the glass. Carry a trigger pack of plain water, a squeegee and kitchen roll in car for purpose of removal.

On both our current cars and the previous Berlingo it's always better with Rain X then without. However good the droplets are though if Rain X is to work as intended (and it's said to be based on a product for aircraft hoods/windshields) then it need airflow to shift them. Noticed this afternoon that it's still creating beautiful droplets on Skoda's tailgate but they don't move.

On side windows by contrast they're whipped along by slipstream at anything over 20mph.
 Rain X - Runfer D'Hills
Not sure If I've ever seen a Berlingo going that fast.

;-))
 Rain X - legacylad
If Autoclick give me one next month instead of a Focus estate you will...
 Rain X - Shiny
We had a great little window cleaner and he would do odd-jobs at height to such as flushing gutters or replacing outdoor bulbs at height. One day two men came round and said he had had an accident and they were the window cleaners round here now and they would use the ladderless system so they wouldn't have an accident. I agreed and they would come round and washe them, but after 2 years there was a build-up that never happened before with the traditional method, The upstairs frames and sills were terrible, as were the gaskets and corners. In the end, we sacked them, we were probably the last one on the road to still use them. I do it now a couple of times a year using various improvisations and yes, I do use RAINX and I think it makes them easier to clean. The screwfix UPVC cleaner is fab too and Wynns Carb Cleaner is useful for ingrained stains.
Latest Forum Posts