Motoring Discussion > "Carcraft" Buying / Selling
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 8

"Carcraft" - wotspur
I've been looking at buying a car, checked Auto Trader, Gumtree, CarGurus even EBay, and whilst I've found several suitable vehicles, I checked out Carcraft innChertsey Surrey today, and nationwide they seemed to have a good choice of vehicles , even reasonable based on Parkers prices.
Any thoughts or usages of the firm ! Good or bad, preferable good !!
Yes I know this site has changed hands a few times over the years, so how kosher is the group.
 "Carcraft" - mikeyb
Not sure about the branch you refer to but I know of the one in south wales.

Lots of very overpriced stuff, often priced only in monthly / weekly HP terms. Example cars in local press used to never exist and were just to get you in through the door.

That was a few years ago, and a quick look on their website shows they are now nothing more than a broker

"Carcraft has changed in that we no longer have any physical dealerships.

The all new Carcraft is a website featuring thousands of quality used cars, all available from independent dealers we know & trust from across the UK, all of whom have been through our rigorous approval process"

Wiki tells you a bit more, but in essence they folded and the brand is now owned by a finance outfit

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcraft
 "Carcraft" - Dave_
ISTR Carcraft used to be part of the same company as We Buy Any Car. Which leads one to believe the vehicles they sourced through that route had been previously run by folk who couldn't afford to maintain 'em properly. Might all be different now of course.
 "Carcraft" - R.P.
Carcraft was a regular on ITV Wales and BBC Wales consumer programmes.
 "Carcraft" - Stuartli
>> Carcraft was a regular on ITV Wales and BBC Wales consumer programmes.> >

...and on BBC's Watchdog:

tinyurl.com/j3drcuf

tinyurl.com/h2wrypf
 "Carcraft" - mikeyb
>> Carcraft was a regular on ITV Wales and BBC Wales consumer programmes.
>>

Ahhhh, I remember the days before carcraft when Empress the original car supermarket
 "Carcraft" - rtj70
>> Ahhhh, I remember the days before carcraft when Empress the original car supermarket

I couldn't remember what they were called until you mention Empress. My brother bought a decent car from there when they were up in the valleys - might have been Abertillery? They moved to Newport.

EDIT: And looking at Google maps I spotted a Sebastopol in Wales. I never knew we had a town called that in Wales.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 6 Mar 17 at 14:43
 "Carcraft" - mikeyb
>> I couldn't remember what they were called until you mention Empress. My brother bought a
>> decent car from there when they were up in the valleys - might have been
>> Abertillery? They moved to Newport.
>>
>> EDIT: And looking at Google maps I spotted a Sebastopol in Wales. I never knew
>> we had a town called that in Wales.

Newport was the car supermarket type stuff, and Abertillery was the "trade center". IIRC you could buy stuff that was a non runner. They used to have some really rough stuff in there.
 "Carcraft" - rtj70
When my brother bought a car from them they didn't have a Newport site. I think it was 1991.
Latest Forum Posts