Motoring Discussion > Which car drivers annoy you ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 32

Which car drivers annoy you ? - wotspur
No matter where ever I drive, it always seems the same make of car, is being driven my a complete moron.
In a 50 zone, they're doing 38mph, till the,road is straight and could be overtaken, when they speed up to 45, before going back to 36.
If on a motorway the outside lane is being tapered off, and the last idiot who forces their way to the front, and pulls in front of me.......before dawdling thru the roadworks of 50mph, at 40.
If there's an accident, they want to stop and go past the accident at stupid slow speed before zooming away once they've gone past......

On " Not The NIne OClock News" years ago they did a sketch on them
"Volvos.... Designed by computers, Built by robots, Driven by Morons"

I hate Volvo Drivers
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - zippy
Pat, Fight, Fight, Fight!

:-)
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - Pat
We do it because we're far superior Wotspur and are just testing you to see how good you are:)

Pat
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - Old Navy
The ones that amuse me are the utube dashcam warriors who criticise other drivers while demonstrating poor driving themselves.

Obviously my driving is perfect so every other driver annoys me! :-)

Which car drivers annoy you ? - mikeyb
>> The ones that amuse me are the utube dashcam warriors who criticise other drivers while
>> demonstrating poor driving themselves.
>

I like those, on the local facebook group somebody posted dashcam footage moaning about being cut up driving and got completely lambasted for being in the wrong lane in the first place
They are not bright enough to realise that the dashcam is recording their driving as well. :-)
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - Runfer D'Hills
Perhaps there are regional variations, it seems to be Audis in these parts, the bigger ones usually driven by earnest looking young men with unfortunate hair and no concept of stopping distances, or in the case of the smaller variants, equally earnest looking young women dividing their time between actually driving them and peering and prodding at their smartphones with no concept of how far you can travel, or drift over to the wrong side of the road while not looking where you are going.

Speaking of which, I've just seen a Q2 for the first time. Had to double take as it just seems to be a slightly taller A3. Yet another small "SUV" ( Sitty Uppy Vehicle ). Just what we needed eh?
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - movilogo
I think bad attitude is not linked to any particular make.
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - DP
>> The ones that amuse me are the utube dashcam warriors who criticise other drivers while
>> demonstrating poor driving themselves.
>>
>> Obviously my driving is perfect so every other driver annoys me! :-)
>>

Ah, you mean the ones who deliberately don't brake, or even consciously accelerate or steer towards the offending vehicle to make what would be a minor inconvenience look like a spectacular "near miss" on the footage. Utter pillocks.
Last edited by: DP on Sat 4 Mar 17 at 21:00
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - Zero

>> I hate Volvo Drivers

And mostly we look down on you.
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - VxFan
Brake light dabbers. i.e. Those that like to press their brake pedal but don't seem to actually lose any speed. Especially those drivers who feel they have to touch the brake pedal whenever a car approaches from the opposite direction.

Fog light offenders. Front or rear, doesn't really matter. They're all numpties.

But ultimately any other driver on the road annoys me.
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - BiggerBadderDave
"Especially those drivers who feel they have to touch the brake pedal whenever a car approaches from the opposite direction."

Kind of, yes. Golders Green, I used to live near there and they would do that, except they did actually slow down. Oncoming car - slow down. It's the 'press the brake, narrows the car' effect.
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - Avant
Stonehenge also.

Wifey: 'Oooh, innit old!'

Hubby: 'Wot's old....Oh, that.' (Jams on brakes) 'Why did they build it so near the main road?'
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - Ted

Like Humph...Audis. Usually black ones round here. They invariably tailgate you. Pulled out left onto the main road the other day....clear for a long, long way to the right. Within seconds, a black Audi on me bumper, must have come out of a side road and gunned it. Stuck on me 400yds to the lights, I turned right and lost him. Within seconds of the lights changing I got another one who wanted to get in my boot until I made a left 600yds or so on. What do they hope to gain ? They're not going to intimidate me to speed up over the limit !

Twonks !
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - rtj70
Had a twonk behind earlier today near home. Bus lane but not in operation. They clearly wanted me to speed or get out of the way - but I was going to be turning left soon. They got to the lights and sped off.

Back in 1999 (before I lived in this area but near to today's incident) I was driving along towards a speed camera. Idiot behind wanted to speed. I got out of their way when I could. Just before the speed camera.... they got flashed. Idiot.
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - Cliff Pope
>> Brake light dabbers. i.e. Those that like to press their brake pedal but don't seem
>> to actually lose any speed.

I do that if I know I am going to slow down and I am worried the tailgater behind me may not be paying attention.

It's sometimes a useful precursor to any manoeuvre:
"Watch me carefully - I am about to undertake a manoeuvre. Further indications will follow soon"
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Sun 5 Mar 17 at 09:43
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - Harleyman
>> It's sometimes a useful precursor to any manoeuvre:
>> "Watch me carefully - I am about to undertake a manoeuvre. Further indications will
>> follow soon"
>>

I do it too Cliff in those circumstances. It is, however, the ones who slow down for every bit of oncoming traffic even on straight and clear A roads who annoy the most, especially if you're following them at a safe distance in a heavily-laden lorry which is at its most economical when driven at constant speed. I don't really care if they're not driving particularly fast, but it is annoying when you have to slow down for absolutely no reason.

My main pet hate is drivers who have absolutely no clue about spatial awareness; especially when they've got about as much idea about reversing. I do not know if modern car driver training focuses on using external mirrors, but if it doesn't then it should. So many people still rely on looking over their shoulders through the rear window, which on modern cars is usually so restricted by rear headrests and aerodynamic styling as to be virtually useless.

Second pet hate is improper use of fog lamps, particularly rear ones. Car drivers don't realise that on a wet road, the glare is reflected up from the surface and if you're sitting higher up as you do in an HGV then it's downright unpleasant and potentially dangerous. And why, oh why do some of them think that if they switch said fog lights on it's somehow perfectly safe to drive at the same speed, if not a higher one, that they would on a clear road in daylight?

I've mentioned this before, but I think it was Clarkson who first suggested that rear fog lights should by law be linked to the engine management system, so that if they were activated it would be impossible to drive the vehicle faster than 40 mph; which in my personal view is as fast as you should be travelling if using those lights were actually necessary. It would also act as a reminder to switch the damn things off once they're not needed. With modern LED type lights they're pretty much redundant anyway.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 5 Mar 17 at 10:04
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - movilogo
Most drivers treat fog lamps as rain lamps.
>> Brake light dabbers.

I appreciate them when our local speed camera van is around a blind bend immediately after a school, I then know it is worth getting out of speeders way. :-)
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - Dog
BmW drivers are the worlds wurst:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4282656/Shocking-moment-driver-pepper-sprays-motorist-road-rage.html
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - Fursty Ferret
The ones trundling down an A-road at 40mph but who then maintain that speed through the village with a 30 limit. Unless there's a speed camera, at which point the brakes will go on hard and the speed will drop to 20 regardless of whether they're in a 30 or 60 limit.
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - Manatee
Without a doubt the prime candidates for stringing up are the ones who want to dawdle but are impossible to pass,usually because they are tailgating another slow vehicle such as a lorry.

If somebody has arrived on my tail having been travelling considerably faster than me I will make an opportunity for them to overtake, unless I am already in a long procession. I don't expect that, and rarely get it - all I ask is not to be obstructed.

I once had a colleague, back from his holidays, actually tell me that he had had to follow a slow lorry for about 100 miles on his way back from Cornwall while towing his caravan. He explained that he did not have enough acceleration to pass it himself, and of course that meant miles of traffic behind because the lorry plus his own outfit were too much for anybody else to pass in one go.

He seemed to be perfectly serious, so I said "Well of course it's usually the second car that makes the rolling road block". He just nodded sagely. You can go off people.
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - Clk Sec
We on C4P must surely be the most considerate and careful drivers in the world.
Hondootedly.
>> We on C4P must surely be the most considerate and careful drivers in the world.
>>

Only because we have an interest in things motoring, as opposed to the domestic appliance operators who annoy us. :-)
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - bathtub tom
How about those who wait in a side road until they're certain you're approaching, then pull out and accelerate very slowly to their mimsing speed?
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - CGNorwich
All those people who don't know where they are going and try to switch lanes and butt in in front of me. They are only slightly less irritating than those drivers who, when I inadvertently and through no fault of my own, get into the wrong lane won't allow me switch into their lane.
>> How about those who wait in a side road until they're certain you're approaching, then
>> pull out and accelerate very slowly to their mimsing speed?

I think they might be, or be related to, the ones who overtake you on motorways, pull in ahead, and then slow down.
Other drivers that annoy me are the ones that assume that everyone is a local resident, and they never drive more than ten miles from home. Expects everyone in the country to know the layout of every junction, car park, etc. and local quirks and conventions in their area, even if they bear little comparison with the Highway Code.
Actually this thread is a good opportunity to report how good the drivers were on Fuerteventura last week. The only irritant was another tourist in an i10 who dropped almost to walking pace on one of the winding hill roads with hairpins and vertigo-inducing drops.

It really was a pleasure to drive there. The roads are immaculately surfaced, a testament to the boundless generosity of the EU I assume since the only industries other than goatkeeping and aloe vera growing appear to be shopkeeping and tourism. Most drivers are happy at the speed limit, and cyclists are treated with a respect that UK riders can only dream of (i.e., as they should be).

The car, incidentally, was a Renault Kangoo diesel, probably the 1.5 litre 75bhp job. It certainly offered no threat to any loitering rice pudding skins. Brilliant space, less good to drive with the deadest steering ever. I meant to look and see what they cost here but it seems they have only sold the van versions in the UK for a while now.
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - Bromptonaut

>> I meant to look and see what they cost
>> here but it seems they have only sold the van versions in the UK for
>> a while now.

Kombi version sold here as a Mercedes.......

(see Citan)
Wow - that's one way to sell Renaults! Yes that's the one Bromp. They seem to have lift up tailgates, which I would prefer - our hire car had barn doors which, although they had windows, made it difficult to see much in the interior mirror.
 Which car drivers annoy you ? - legacylad
Driving home from the airport last night, dark, early evening. A65. I was behind a VW Transporter, driving at the speed limit of 30mph into the village of Gargrave with about 5 cars behind me. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a dark coloured car overtook the small convoy doing about 60, overtaking on the wrong side of a traffic island and forcing an oncoming car to do an emergency stop to prevent a head on.
The worst driving I have seen in years. The uncharitable side of me hoped that I would come across his mangled wreck through a dry stone wall in the next 15 miles.
Latest Forum Posts