Motoring Discussion > New laws on car seats for babies and chilren Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 7

New laws on car seats for babies and chilren - henry k
Effective today 01 Mar 2017

www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/uk-child-car-seat-laws-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-changes-a3477196.html
 New laws on car seats for babies and chilren - sooty123
I wonder how this will be inforced, are the police going to weigh and measure small children at the road side?
 New laws on car seats for babies and chilren - jc2
I don't think it's retrospective-just applies to new sales.
 New laws on car seats for babies and chilren - Cliff Pope
>> I don't think it's retrospective-just applies to new sales.
>>

New babies only. Existing ones have grand-parent rights, like towing trailers.

:)
 New laws on car seats for babies and chilren - bathtub tom
>>New babies only. Existing ones have grand-parent rights, like towing trailers.

There's a tempting thought, throw the grand kids in a trailer behind the car. It'll be a lot quieter and cleaner in the car.
 New laws on car seats for babies and chilren - henry k
>> I don't think it's retrospective-just applies to new sales.
>>
Or children with existing seat arrangements?
Can you imagine retrospectively trying to get a stroppy offspring to obey the new rules ?:-(((
 New laws on car seats for babies and chilren - mikeyb
Any improvement in safety is welcome, but I expect it wont be enforced unless its a blatant offence.

I recall that when they bought in the last set of new child seat laws the police said they couldn't enforce it as they didn't have the equipment to check the height of a child at the roadside.

Must measure my 8 year old - I suspect he is under 125 so should be in a high back all the time (he is most of the time, but occasionally a booster if in a different car)
 New laws on car seats for babies and chilren - Rudedog
I think it might be retrospective...

Radio phone in last night had a question about the new law from a mum who had just bought a forward facing car seat for her baby, lawyer said that a new car seat would have to be purchased to comply.

Although included in the same reply were a load of exemptions.
Latest Forum Posts