Motoring Discussion > NEVER Ignore a Council PCN Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 5

NEVER Ignore a Council PCN - Bromptonaut
Salutary tale via Observer's Anna Tims about dangers of taking no notice of a penalty charge notice.

www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/24/scam-penalty-notice-parking-fine-lambeth-council

In brief, whether by cloning or warden's finger trouble, they got a ticket for a parking offence in London. As they never went there they thought it a scam and ignored it an follow up correspondence.

Ended up paying £300 bailff fees. When challenged council said, in a way correctly, they'd followed due process. With Ms Tims's intervention a refund was agreed. I doubt it would have happened without media involvement though a reference to the Ombudman might have done the trick

If you get a Council ticket, unlike some private ones, it WILL NOT go away.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 25 Feb 17 at 17:37
 NEVER Ignore a Council PCN - zippy
How can it be due process if she didn't get a summons to appear in court which is what should happen before the bailiffs turn up?
 NEVER Ignore a Council PCN - Manatee
The court can make an order on application by the creditor, although you should be notified.

An actual judgement is not required for certain debts, including Council PCNs.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 25 Feb 17 at 18:28
 NEVER Ignore a Council PCN - Bromptonaut
>> How can it be due process if she didn't get a summons to appear in
>> court which is what should happen before the bailiffs turn up?

It's Civil Enforcement (originally known as de-criminalised enforcement).

Ticket issued and attached to vehicle - drive can make informal representations.

If no payment/representations (or representations rejected) then after 28 days Council gets details from DVLA and issues 'Notice to Owner'

Owner can respond formally and if rejected go to tribunal.

If no response from keeper then there's an escalation of process/cost, each on notice, ending with debt being registered with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at Northampton County Court. This is enforceable as County Court judgement for which bailiffs are instructed.

BAck stop, if bailiff's action is first inkling owner has, is to make a statutory declaration to the court.
 NEVER Ignore a Council PCN - Dutchie
I would have rang the council to find out what was going on.

You can't control someone cloning a number plate.Bailiffs? They always remind me of the Nazi footsteps we are only doing a job please take a shower.
 NEVER Ignore a Council PCN - Duncan
>>Bailiffs? They always remind me of the Nazi
>> footsteps we are only doing a job please take a shower.
>>

How otherwise would you enforce court judgements?
Latest Forum Posts