Motoring Discussion > Speed awareness course location Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 18

Speed awareness course location - smokie
Purely hypothetically you understand.

If one were to get caught speeding in, say, Merseyside, would one have to return to Merseyside to take a speed awareness course, if offered, or can one go to a more local one?

Furthermore, and still hypothetically, if one's wife, whose unblemished driving career has always kept her firmly on her high horse over previous instances of husband speeding, should happen to receive a NIP for 40 in a 30 on the very same day as the hypothetical one above, would it be rude to roll about on the floor laughing?

I know did :-)
 Speed awareness course location - R.P.
You can go locally now. Say nothing. Allow yourself a moment to savour and move on.
 Speed awareness course location - rtj70
>> NIP for 40 in a 30

Will she even be offered a speed awareness course if you're that much over the speed limit? I'd have thought borderline.

I bet she hopes she gets the offer.
Fair chance if it's the first NIP. This is the Wales criteria

You must not have attended a similar course in the last 3 years.
Speed has to be within 10% plus 2 and 10% plus 9 of the speed limit.
You must admit the offence within 80 days of the date of the offence.

So 40 mph is within their criteria - no reason to think that England is any different
 Speed awareness course location - PeterS
All I'd say is, make sure she allows enough time to get there ;)
 Speed awareness course location - Bromptonaut
Continuing in hypothetical mode....

If one were caught doing 40 in a 30 in Devonport it might be possible to attend a speed awareness course in Northampton.

It might also be case that, although one is only allowed one speeding or 'similar' course in three years, the rival organisations providing the courses are p*** poor at comparing notes.

A course offered for a red light offence in Leicester in 2014 may not, in practical terms, bar a speed awareness course 12 months later for an offence in Devon/Cornwall.
 Speed awareness course location - Fullchat
There is now a national centralised database - Pentip. This has all motoring offence disposals recorded. So when the next one comes in the database is checked before a decision is made regarding disposal. So by rights you shouldn't be offered two bites of the cherry anywhere in the country.

There are also a number of 'driver education schemes', other than the Speed Awareness, so it is possible to be offered more than one type of course within a 3 year period dependent on the type of offences committed.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 25 Feb 17 at 10:40
 Speed awareness course location - Avant
"A course offered for a red light offence in Leicester in 2014 may not, in practical terms, bar a speed awareness course 12 months later for an offence in Devon/Cornwall."

As Bromptonaut is known to be a pillar of respectabilty, we can assume that the red light offence was to do with traffic lights. :)
 Speed awareness course location - Bromptonaut
>> As Bromptonaut is known to be a pillar of respectabilty, we can assume that the
>> red light offence was to do with traffic lights. :)

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
 Speed awareness course location - Manatee
>> All I'd say is, make sure she allows enough time to get there ;)
>>

Good point. You are cautioned not to be late. On mine, there were a couple missing at the start. The teacher said he would allow 5 minutes grace. One arrived a couple of minutes later. The second, a breathless lady who explained that the trafffic had been bad, arrived 10 minutes late and was sent away. She definitely lost the fee, and if allowed to book another would have had to pay again.
 Speed awareness course location - No FM2R
>> All I'd say is, make sure she allows enough time to get there ;)

Ha ha ha ha.
 Speed awareness course location - movilogo
Is this course video available anywhere in internet to watch and learn?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFy64_c6nLQ

Google is your friend, a nosey intrusive friend, but still your friend
 Speed awareness course location - Cliff Pope
>> Is this course video available anywhere in internet to watch and learn?
>>

Why not do the whole course on line - you can with other qualifications. :)
 Speed awareness course location - DP
The course fees are also not consistent between locations. I saved a tenner for travelling four extra miles.
 Speed awareness course location - zippy
The cameras have no compassion.

Ex, all 5 foot naught of her burst in to tears on being pulled over for speeding and was promptly let off with a warning. (To be fair she had just had a crap day and this was the last straw.)

I have been lucky. One speed awareness course and they don't let you in if you are more than a couple of minutes late and they don't put up with any disruptive activity on the course - one gentleman asked to leave with the potential for points / fine / magistrates.

Stopped a couple of times. Humor got me off. Years ago, speeding up a hill that was delimited a few years previously then down to 30. Looking around the wreck of a car for a good couple of minutes before speaking to me and with my Ex slinking down in to the passenger seat, the Rozzer told me that he could hear me put my foot down at the bottom of the hill. With a very stern face I said, "Sorry officer, if I hadn't given it some welly, it would have never of got up the hill!"

With an unmistakable smile, I was promptly told to make my way home and not to do it again!

Another time racing down a dual c/w the officer asked if I knew how fast I was going. Ex, in the back with daughter. 6 year old lad in the front with me (so 13 years ago), "Hundreds!" belted out my lad. The very nice officer just looked at me shook her head and said "and with your children in the car" and walked back to the (unmarked) police car.

Got stopped regularly after a run in with the authorities re a legal case (detailed elsewhere here) but never for speeding or anything else.
Last edited by: zippy on Sat 25 Feb 17 at 17:23
 Speed awareness course location - Dave_
Following on from Bromp's theorising:

If one were to get called out in the small hours to travel 70 miles away and collect one's wayward teenager from the area where one used to live, and one were to arrive at (say) 43mph and depart eight minutes later at (say) 37mph, one would discover the hard way the recent installation of a set of average speed cameras in one's old street.

The resultant letters would explain that a recorded speed of up to 36mph wouldn't attract a penalty; 37-42mph would qualify the driver for a SA course; and that 43mph+ can only lead to points and an SP30.

You can take the SA course locally to your home address, by the way. I'm just glad there were no cameras on the motorway on the way there, or I'd be writing this on the bus.
Last edited by: Dave_ on Tue 28 Feb 17 at 22:19
 Speed awareness course location - MD
Same hypothetical thing happened to my missus. 40 years of ribbing me about the odd brush when it happened to her. Speeeeed awareness course! Who me?? I'll go if you take me. You're 'aving a Giraffe says I. Needless to say she paid up. BTW she doesn't work! I paid up.
 Speed awareness course location - Dutchie
On a course few months ago.48 in a 40.They where waiting in a mucky old van at the bottom of the hill.Parked on a grass verge.

Ten miles over don't know about a course maybe points plus fine.I sat next to a Polish lad on the course he got flashed driving a van.He spoke a little bit English and didn't have a clue about speed limits.

I shouldn't talk hundred pound down the drain.
Latest Forum Posts