Motoring Discussion > Unpredictable electrics. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 7

Unpredictable electrics. - Old Navy
I came across this today, it may be of interest, or help understand why electrical systems can be unpredictable.

www.batterypoweronline.com/main/articles/battery-management-with-an-intelligent-battery-sensor-is-vital-to-the-success-of-future-automotive-designs/
 Unpredictable electrics. - sherlock47
Educational yes - but do not loose sight of the fact the article is a promotional tool for a major manufacturer of semiconductor devices. A stop gap solution for use whilst lead-acid battery technology remains dominant.
I agree, but it can help some people to understand why their stop start system doesn't always work.

My car has one.
 Unpredictable electrics. - commerdriver
Would have thought that you, of all people, would have a good understanding of battery management, if you get it wrong in a diesel sub you are in all kinds of trouble.
In my days in diesel submarines battery management was a bloke in acid holed overalls with a hydrometer. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 20 Feb 17 at 09:02
 Unpredictable electrics. - bathtub tom
>> In my days in diesel submarines battery management was a bloke in acid holed overalls
>> with a hydrometer. :-)

There was someone like that in every large telephone exchange.

Final year at school you could always tell who was studying chemistry by the burn holes in their uniform - no elf & safety then.
 Unpredictable electrics. - Roger.
We had a fume cupboard in our chemi lab !
No googles or owt else.
We used to have our R.E. lessons there. The teacher was the school chaplain and a weak chap. We used to love running the hydrogen sulphide generator with the fume cupboard slightly open and also popping back the Bunsen burners.
I still passed my GCE "O" level in Religious Knowledge, though!
 Unpredictable electrics. - Roger.
Years later, I was a trainee manager in a (long defunct now) soap factory. We made the stuff in huge stream heated vats with no safety measures at all. The liquid caustic soda used to saponify the fats came in overhead pipes whose valves often dripped It was not uncommon to find bits of one's scalp turned into soap.
We used to clean our hands of rust stains by a quick use of HCl, followed by a prompt rinse under running water.
Latest Forum Posts