Motoring Discussion > Anyone had any experience of Trackr? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuartli Replies: 15

Anyone had any experience of Trackr? - Stuartli
This is self explanatory, but has anyone come across this device before?

tinyurl.com/gms885x
 Anyone had any experience of Trackr? - devonite
This could be VERY useful for folk like me! I'm always putting things safe never to be found again! - and I could put one on each of the "Muttley's" collars! - be handy for tracking the missus aswell so that I could surprise her by having a Brew ready for her as she walks in! - mega-Brownie Points!!

Anyone had any experience of Trackr? - Clk Sec
I've not come across this before, but it looks like it might be useful. Perhaps I could attach one to my specs, which I spend much time searching for - assuming I can find my smartphone in the first place.

There doesn't seem to be any mention of the range, so I presume it's just for local use.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sun 19 Feb 17 at 14:05
I've been doing a bit of Googling and came across this video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=awlPLBTzstM

Also:

tinyurl.com/zha4ma6

so its ability might be somewhat restricted.
The range, apparently, is around 100ft.
 Anyone had any experience of Trackr? - henry k
>> There doesn't seem to be any mention of the range,
>>so I presume it's just for local use.
>>
Yes and no.

By coincidence I was investigating this make and a similar one.
Lots of Youtube on Trackr

Yes good for tracking items around you, typically your home.

No. Well not yet for stolen items .
If an item is within range of anyones Trackr then an alert can be triggered back to you.
HOWEVER ! this means that it might be great when vast numbers of folks all over the land have them.
So as in the USA when you look at a map of where they exist the big cities will have the first population and grow fastest. The rest of the country ????

Anyone had any experience of Trackr? - Duncan
>> This is self explanatory, but has anyone come across this device before?
>>
>> tinyurl.com/gms885x
>>

That's good timing by me! There's a half price offer which expires today.

Please excuse me! Must rush!
 Anyone had any experience of Trackr? - Clk Sec
I don't think it's quite half price, Duncan.
 Anyone had any experience of Trackr? - No FM2R
The range of the device itself is about 35metres.

As Henry mentioned, it uses a "crowd" GPS network.

What that essentially means is that to find an article with a tag either you need to be within 35metres of it, or someone else with the application both installed AND active, and with GPS active, needs to be within its range.

In a US or Canadian city I suspect that is reasonably likely. For me in Chile, for people in less cheap-tech countries (the UK for example) and for anyone rurally, It is much less likely to happen.

So it kind of depends on what you want to use it for, and where you want to use it.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 19 Feb 17 at 15:22
 Anyone had any experience of Trackr? - No FM2R
Also, I wonder what implications exist in how discoverable your Bluetooth needs to be.
 Anyone had any experience of Trackr? - Duncan
>> I don't think it's quite half price, Duncan.
>>

Quite right.

PAY for two and get the third one at no additional charge.

At first glance I thought it was a BOGOF.

How much is a proper tracker?
 Anyone had any experience of Trackr? - rtj70
This device might be handy for those who forget where they parked their car. Because the last reported location for the device (via your own phone) will be where you left it. But if you're trying to find an item that could have moved since you left it - not so useful.

As for proper trackers, they shouldn't cost too much but the data enabled SIM costs need to be taken into account. So you can assume there's at least a monthly charge you're going to have to pay on top of the device purchase price.
 Anyone had any experience of Trackr? - movilogo
Soon many cars will have this feature built in. While it will cost makers £5 to add (cars with built in satnav) it will be £500 optional extra :-)

Handy for finding cars in parking lot. While there are smartphone apps for that, I just forget to record position when I leave the car.
 Anyone had any experience of Trackr? - Old Navy
>> Handy for finding cars in parking lot. While there are smartphone apps for that, I
>> just forget to record position when I leave the car.
>>

That's an easy one, my car is orange. The shark fin aerial is easy to spot. At night or under cover unlocking it turns on the lights.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Feb 17 at 18:19
 Anyone had any experience of Trackr? - henry k
>> That's an easy one, my car is orange. The shark fin aerial is easy to spot.
>> At night or under cover unlocking it turns on the lights.
>>
On my old X Type I can switch on the headlights or sound the alarm or both using the key fob.
Obviously the range is limited.
I guess it was a feature for the American market.
The pre 2008 / facelift X type has a clean outline uncluttered by any Sat Nav aeriials or sharks fins.
I guess to flaunt " I have built in Sat Nav" the facelift model did have a sharks fin aerial..
 Anyone had any experience of Trackr? - Old Navy
>> I guess to flaunt " I have built in Sat Nav" the facelift model did
>> have a sharks fin aerial..
>>

Mine is for the DAB / FM radio.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Feb 17 at 19:05
Latest Forum Posts