Motoring Discussion > What Car? Magazine - strange road test choices Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mr Moo Replies: 2

What Car? Magazine - strange road test choices - Mr Moo
Had a quick flip through the latest What Car? magazine yesterday. Some rather odd road test comparisons. I guess they can't always get exactly what they want from the manufacturers, but these two tests struck me as strange:-

1). Skoda Kodiaq, LR Disco Sport and Toyota Land Cruiser. I guess the common ground is that they're all 4x4s with 7 seats, but is somebody that is considering one of the first two really going to have a Land Cruiser on their shortlist? It's a completely different beast, with exceptional off road ability, but rather a different kettle of fish on road!

2) Seat Leon 1.0 TSI and Vauxhall Astra 1.4 Turbo:- both manufacturers a offer a 3 pot 1.0 turbo petrol and a 4 pot 1.4 turbo petrol, with similar power outputs for the same engine sizes. Why test the 1.0 Seat against the 1.4 Vauxhall?

Most peculiar!

What Car? Magazine - strange road test choices - Bobby
Agree a bit strange especially in the Leon / Astra test.

On the 4WD one it could possibly be argued that the test helps a potential buyer know where they need to pitch their money depending on 4WD requirements. So if the test shows the Toyota can do what the others cant, and you need your car to do the same, then that would be useful.

Alternatively if the test is based on heights of kerbs outside schools...............
 What Car? Magazine - strange road test choices - Mike H
They sometimes compare on price, which can throw up odd anomalies, although that doesn't seem to be the case here. Perhaps explains the Seat/Vauxhall comparison?
Last edited by: Mike H on Sat 18 Feb 17 at 16:48
Latest Forum Posts