Motoring Discussion > Honda Jazz/Fit - Another thumbs-up for Halford' Autocentre locally.
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 7

Honda Jazz/Fit - Another thumbs-up for Halford' Autocentre locally. - Roger.
Oh deep joy (NOT).
Two new rear wheel bearings needed.
Three hundred quid. (That's what our savings account is for).
Kudos to Halford's Autocentre in Worksop, who not only diagnosed it (without an appointment) did the job today, but also gave me a lift home and collected me to pick up the car.
Horrid droning noise gone, Aaaah!
Gotta keep the car for a bit longer, now ;-)
Last edited by: Roger. on Fri 17 Feb 17 at 18:00
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Another thumbs-up for Halford' Autocentre locally. - Stuartli
Interesting. Some years ago I took my car into Halfords for an MOT and was eventually given a list of items that needed serious or immediate attention - these were accompanied by a bill listing the overall cost if accepted as totalling more than £300.

Knew full well it was way off the mark, so took it to another MOT centre round the corner (kept quiet about Halford's findings) and the VW passed the MOT with a clean sheet - no advisories or problems. Afterwards I reported Halfords' involvement in full to VOSA, but whether they took any action I don't know.
Like any workshop, Halford's is as good as its manager. Here we are fortunate, in that the manager is not only friendly and welcoming, but very obliging.
AFAIK, I have never been "stitched up", with unnecessary work - in fact I was invited into the workshop to hear the bearing noise with the car on a lift.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Another thumbs-up for Halford' Autocentre locally. - VxFan
>> in fact I was invited into the workshop to hear the bearing noise with the car on a lift.

Ah, you failed to see the CD player in the mechanics overalls then ;)
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Another thumbs-up for Halford' Autocentre locally. - bathtub tom
>> in fact I was invited into the workshop to hear the bearing noise with the car on a lift.

So why replace both bearings?
>> >> in fact I was invited into the workshop to hear the bearing noise with
>> the car on a lift.
>>
>> So why replace both bearings?
>>
One was clicking and one was rumbling, that's why :-)
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Another thumbs-up for Halford' Autocentre locally. - Bill Payer
Very common issue on mk1 Jazz. Like a few issues with Jazz, Honda were changing them up to around 8yrs old under goodwill although I gather they're not so magnanimous these days.
It never rains...................
After shelling out for the rear wheel bearings, on Friday last, we found that some anonymous PERSON had hit our poor little motor car and cracked the NSR lens cover, putting a hole right through it too. We'd been around a few car parks while doing a bit of shopping, so we had no idea where the damage had been caused.
Vision of mortgaging the house to pay for a replacement fluttered through my head, until I bethought myself - what about a used one?
Aha!
eBay and the various breakers are awash with them ot prices from £35 to £48.
Guessing that Halford's would not fit a customer sourced used part, I did some Googling and at random picked out a local indie garage, to whom I sent an enquiry by email.
A response (the same Friday evening) came, suggesting that said indie could possibly source a new cover very reasonably and I should await a call.
At 08:30 on Saturday I had a call offering to supply a new part for £45 +VAT and fit it for the same amount, so a total of £108.
Reasoning that the garage was fully responsible for a proper fit, we agreed.
Monday while out another call - "the part is in".
Fitting arranged for 09:00 this morning.
10:00 job done.
£108 poorer, I was, but again, I've been pleasantly surprised by excellent service.
Latest Forum Posts