Motoring Discussion > London T charge Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 21

London T charge - Old Navy
Pre Euro 4 engined cars to get £10 added to the congestion charge in London, where next? Does anyone own a pre 2005 car in the wealthy south east?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39001734
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 17 Feb 17 at 11:30
 London T charge - movilogo
Is it for 24 hours or same hours as of C-charge?
 London T charge - Old Navy
Looks like same hours as C charge.

tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissions-surcharge?cid=emissions-surcharge
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 17 Feb 17 at 13:52
 London T charge - henry k
>> Does anyone own a pre 2005 car in the wealthy south east?
>>
My daughter does, a 2000 1.3 Yaris.
She has just confirmed that she has to pay the charge and is obviously not amused.
 London T charge - Bill Payer
>> >> Does anyone own a pre 2005 car in the wealthy south east?
>> >>
>> My daughter does, a 2000 1.3 Yaris.
>> She has just confirmed that she has to pay the charge and is obviously not
>> amused.
>>
It's a tax on the poor!
 London T charge - movilogo
C-charge is also a tax on the poor. The whole idea of CC is to ensure riches in their Bentleys and Ferraris don't have to sit with old bangers on both sides in central London.

There should be no CC. If people don't like being stuck in traffic they can always use public transport.
 London T charge - Bromptonaut
>> There should be no CC. If people don't like being stuck in traffic they can
>> always use public transport.

Logic failure there old chap......

The public transport gets stuck in the traffic too.
 London T charge - PR
I see they have (quicker than I expected) lumped petrols and diesels together!

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/£10-t-charge-high-polluting-vehicles-start-autumn

London T charge - commerdriver
We have only one car that could be driven into the cc area but I haven't driven into that area in years.
I have spent a good amount of time in central London at rush hour times in the last 4 or 5 years and can't honestly say I have seen lots of older cars being used, do any of the others here who used to, or still do, travel into central London have a different view?
 London T charge - rtj70
What about the older, polluting London taxis I wonder? They are part of the problem for pollution surely?

Or is there now an age limit on black cabs?
 London T charge - CGNorwich
15 years

www.bing.com/search?q=age+limit+black+cabs&form=APMCS1&PC=APMC
 London T charge - Duncan
>> 15 years
>>
>> www.bing.com/search?q=age+limit+black+cabs&form=APMCS1&PC=APMC
>>

Oh!

Someone actually uses Bing for their search engine! How quaint!

You must be the only one?

content.tfl.gov.uk/alternative-fuel-age-limit-exemption-form.pdf
 London T charge - rtj70
>> 15 years

As old as that. Wow. So quite polluting.

I had assumed there was no limit based on some of the the taxis I saw in central the weekend before last. It should be a lot newer but then black cab drivers would be up in arms. I know these cabs with maintenance can do stellar mileages but 15 year diesels should be taken off the road.
There is a plan to get older taxis off the road in London
tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/taxi-and-private-hire-requirements?intcmp=35073
 London T charge - Shiny
Jizya by the back door.
>> but 15 year diesels should be taken off the road.
>>
Or banned from crowded cities in congested times which is where the main problems apply.
Banning older cars altogether will reduce options for a large part of the public.
 London T charge - smokie
Ban all cars from cities by all means but not before the alternatives are affordable and reliable.
 London T charge - Runfer D'Hills
Legislation to ensure that new cars are compliant with current emissions regulations is one thing, and indeed should be encouraged. Penalising the users of older vehicles which after all, complied with the regulations in place when they were manufactured, seems harsh. While some drivers of older vehicles will be doing so by choice, many will be doing so because that is all they can afford.

By default, older vehicle numbers will reduce by natural wastage in time. But in the meanwhile, some of them will continue to provide those who need them to, with perhaps essential, daily transport.

My memory is not so short as to have forgotten what it is like to to have to run a car on a very limited budget.

Of course we need to respect the need to reduce air pollution etc and by regulating new cars and other vehicles that will be achieved in due course. Changing the rules for existing vehicles is a bit of a goalpost movement once the match has started.
 London T charge - henry k
Meanwhile lets wait an extra year before MoT testing such diesels ( and other types).:-(
 London T charge - Rudedog
Sorry if I've missed this but does this affect ALL pre Euro 4 cars petrol and Diesel alike?

London radio stations are still only mentioning Diesel when this is brought up.
Yes, both diesel and petrol.

All the official details here.

tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissions-surcharge#on-this-page-2
It is an odd concept when you think about it. I mean if these vehicle are sufficiently polluting to be harmful logically they should all be banned completely. Seems strange that paying £10 to the local authority makes it OK to poison people
Latest Forum Posts