Motoring Discussion > Why can't all wiper changes be this easy? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 7

Why can't all wiper changes be this easy? - Bobby
Changed the wipers on my friends 2005 Ford C-Max today.

Pull arm out
Rotate wiper
Slide wiper out the arm (arm has a pin and wiper has a hole)
Slide new wiper on
Turn wiper
Push arm back in

I reckon, no more than 4 seconds to change a wiper!
 Why can't all wiper changes be this easy? - rtj70
Swapping the wipers on my last few VAG cars has been really easy. Except on the A3 you have to park the wipers to be able to move them from the scree. They park below the bonnet line.

On the Passat I had from 2000-2003 I used to just buy the rubber and replace just that. Took slightly longer to do of course.
 Why can't all wiper changes be this easy? - Stuartli
>>They park below the bonnet line.>>

Obviously the same on my VW cars over the years. Very easy to change - the below the bonnet line prevents the wipers being stolen or having problems in car washes...:-)

Just one point about changing the wiper blades. Make sure you have a newspaper layer or other impact reducing material placed strategically on the windscreen as it's all too easy for the upright arm, less wiper blade, to react to the spring and the mount section hit the windscreen. Can lead to the need for a new screen given sufficient downward force.

Why can't all wiper changes be this easy? - Cliff Pope
Do you mean the wiper arm or the blade?

All cars I've owned since the 1970s have been easy to swap either. The arm. you just release a clip and it pulls off the splined fitting on the end of the spindle. The blade is just a tight push-fit in a plastic insert in the curved bend at the end of the arm.

As you say, either takes seconds. Standard advice for Eastern bloc travel was always to remove the wipers when you parked the car or they would be stolen.

Earlier wipers as on my Landrover need a spanner to release the nut holding the compression sleeve. The blade itself has a rubber peg through a hole in the blade rib to hold it in a slot at the end of the arm.
 Why can't all wiper changes be this easy? - Rudedog
And yet a certain car parts supplier will charge you £4 to do a pair.

If it only takes 5 mins then I think that's about £48 an hour!

My dealers fits them FoC if bought from them.
 Why can't all wiper changes be this easy? - Cliff Pope

>>
>> My dealers fits them FoC if bought from them.
>>

But what's to fit? It's as easy as replacing a petrol cap.
 Why can't all wiper changes be this easy? - Bill Payer
>> But what's to fit? It's as easy as replacing a petrol cap.
>>
It's always easy when you've done it!

I look after half-a-dozen cars and it's not always obvious, particularly as certain action require a bit force - you don't want to be forcing the wrong thing!
 Why can't all wiper changes be this easy? - Roger.
My last wiper change was really easy - I got a charming young lady from Halford's to do it.
Latest Forum Posts