Motoring Discussion > Car Hire Spain Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 10

Car Hire Spain - maltrap
I've just received my first plastic driving licence (i.m 70 in April)
When i hire a car in Tenerife will i have to produce any paperwork with my plastic lcence or has that hassle died a death now ?
 Car Hire Spain - Manatee
I arrnaged a hire for Fuerte a few days ago and the checklist says bring both parts.
 Car Hire Spain - rtj70
You are meant to request a one time login code for the hire company to use too check your licence. You can have a few generated and ready to be used. They do have an expiry date.

But some places don't bother checking.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 8 Feb 17 at 19:20
 Car Hire Spain - PeterS
FWIW I've hired cars in three occasions in Spain so far this year. 2 from Avis and one from Europcar, and every time they've been happy with the plastic card.

Incidentally each time I've booked a Corsa sized car. I've actually had a Renault Captur, an VW Touran and an Audi Q3. The first two were diesel autos, the last a diesel manual.

Avis in Edinburgh on Monday were also happy with just the plastic card, and their Focus was an MB A Class, petrol auto.
 Car Hire Spain - Zero
Hire a car every year in Spain, sometimes twice a year. Not had to produce the paper part, or provide the link thing in the last 6 years.

My checklist form my hire company just says bring the plastic part.

Not even bothered to take the paper part or provide a link for the last three years. I shan't be doing so in June when I hire again.

Just come back from Tenereife. Didn't see the need to hire a car. Took a bus tour up Tiede where we did Cava at sunset and night time star gazing. Jeez it were chuffing cold up there at night, near on minus 2.
 Car Hire Spain - legacylad
Picked up our hire car bookng direct with 'Auoclick'' from Alicante last Sunday (5/02/17) £124 for 28 days. Full to full fuel. Two drivers. Surcharge because my pal,the other named driver, is 71 yo. CDW taken out in UK fir £40ish pa.
He shopped around, and wth two drivers, and his age penalty, it was cheaper direct than with the brokers. We booked 10 days before we hired. My pal and his wife ( triathletes in training) here for 3+ months, has to change his hire agreement every 60 days because of the Uk CDW.
We requested a 5 door Fiesta. Got a Fiat 500L. Pile of pooh.
Prices seem to change day by day, but Autoclck were very good on arrival. Speedy airport collection to off site, excellent English, spanking new car hire fleet, no hard sell on any extras, just showed Passport & driving licence.
 Car Hire Spain - Rudedog
I thought the paper part of a licence didn't exist anymore and wasn't issued with a new card?
 Car Hire Spain - CGNorwich
Yes you are right. Thrown mine away.
 Car Hire Spain - rtj70
They need replacing every 10 years so eventually you'd have not got a paper part back when renewing.
 Car Hire Spain - CGNorwich
Government advice

What to do with your paper counterpart

The paper counterpart to a driving licence has had no legal status since 8 June 2015. You should destroy yours if you have one, but keep your photocard driving licence.
 Car Hire Spain - Duncan

>> The paper counterpart to a driving licence has had no legal status since 8 June
>> 2015. You should destroy yours if you have one, but keep your photocard driving licence.
>>

I have kept the paper parts of my driving licence.

If I didn't, what would I fill the drawers, cupboards and filing cabinets with?
Latest Forum Posts