Motoring Discussion > Page 94 - Newish car ordered. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 12

Page 94 - Newish car ordered. - Manatee
It's already registered, and came with a material, if not fantastic, discount. It has 8 miles on the clock. It has 147bhp and a six speed TC automatic. They bought my car for about £1500 more than the BMW man offered.

It's another Mitsubishi, this time an auto.

I haven't been keeping up properly, and hadn't twigged that MMC had stoppped using the SST dual clutch thingy with the latest Outlander. I like my present car overall, but it isn't very pleasant to drive briskly with a manual gearbox. It turns its nose up at revving much beyond about 3500 rpm and whilst it can be made to go reasonably well, it runs out of steam very inelegantly and I can change up three times just accelerating up a slip road; if I am late on the change, the nose drops so fast it's like going into reverse.

The auto deals with all that very smoothly. The rated power is down from the 174 of the 2011 manual, but it doesn't feel like it. The engine is exactly the same bore and stroke but I am told it has a different top end and is no lonnger badged as 'MIVEC', Mitsubishi's VVT system. Whatever, it seems quieter and smoother, and claims better economy. The ride is improved too.

Warranty is now 5 years, I have a service plan and the dealer agreed to throw in detachable towing equipment using official parts and plug in wiring.

It's a trim level below my existing one, which means I won't get satnav, reversing camera, heated seats, electric driver's seat (without memory, utterly inexplicable) or sunroof, none of which I will miss much. What I will miss is the xenon headlights so I might have to look for some brighter bulbs. It does have leather seats, a £1500 extra on this level.

What I gain is the auto, a better looking interior (but not much), dual zone climate control (amazing how they can all do that without a wall down the middle of the car), keyless go, steering wheel paddles, doom blue paint (albeit pearlescent and rejoicing in its name 'Tanazanite'), and some fairly hideous exterior styling, but as all SUVs are more or less ugly that doesn't matter much.

It's a 2016 model year; the only changes I can see for 2017 were a shark's fin aerial instead of a bee sting, and an electronic handbrake in lieu of the manual one, which is very effective and has been no bother on my current car.

A surprise is that is does not have DAB radio which is quite pathetic. OK for now, especially as DAB is rubbish on the move IME.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 8 Feb 17 at 14:05
 Page 94 - Newish car ordered. - Dog
I much preferred the looks of the previous model, and indeed looked for one on AT, but,as you say, the automatic transmission was a belt & pulley job.

Does anyone get good DAB reception in a car I wonder? .. I tried the DAB radio in the V40 I test drove a few weeks ago, and the reception was carp

>>all SUVs are more or less ugly
Well, I think my old CR-V is curvaceous, stylish, and attractive, in an automotive way of course :)
Not sure how far back you are going for belt and pulley transmission Dog.

The SST dual clutch/paddle shift auto, developed with Porsche, was being fitted in 2010/11 when I bought my last one (Mitsubishi, not Porsche). The only Mitsubishi vehicles fitted with it apart from the Outlander were the Lancer Ralliart and the Evo, so it should have been strong enough.

I have a tic about these things as you know. They were first used on racing cars, where millisecond changes mean better lap times, and if somebody buys a very high performance out and out sports road car then maybe they will be happy to sacrifice some smoothness too.

For more everyday applications what the manufacturers clearly do is try to make them drive like 'proper' autos, with smooth engagement and changes, and realistic creep characteristics. All of this introduces slip and heat, which is basically destructive and shortens the life of the box. They all have a shut down reflex for when they get too hot.

The car manufacturers and their suppliers (Getrag, ZF, BorgWarner, LJK, etc who design and or make them) have presumably been ceaselessly tweaking the software to improve the useability while maintaining adequate reliability.

In fact IIRC the Evo SST had reputation for overheating if used hard, so maybe they went a bit too far in taming it for everyday use.

Apparently Mitsubishi UK still have some unused Evos, but they are unlikely to put them on general sale, and they won't be making any more. I think the Lancer has gone anyway.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 8 Feb 17 at 19:38
This is the 2007-2012 model I was thinking of Manatee, and this is one which was on my list:

www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611059466832

The 168bhp 2.4 MIVACs petrol engine offering has the CVT box, whereas your diesel (and the one above) has the dual clutch box.

I also considered 3 Rav-4 diesel autos within 30 miles of here, but I do too few miles these days, which is why I went for the petrol CR-V in the end.

I even considered an Outback with the Lineartronic box, which my 'local' dealer (in Devon) has, but decided it was bigger (longer) than I really needed. The interior didn't do a lot for me either, unlike the CR-V which is very nice IMO.
The one you linked will have the SST dual clutch one, i.e. DSG-type.

The one I have bought has an "INVECS -II" 6 speed auto with torque converter.

It looks like this -

goo.gl/Rl6d6A

I didn't know the petrol version of the 2007-12 one was was even sold here.

The Subaru Lineartronic CVT is OK isn't it?
 Page 94 - Newish car ordered. - Stuartli
It's torque that's the key, not power which helps to deliver the rated top speed.....!
 Page 94 - Newish car ordered. - Lygonos
>>It's torque that's the key, not power which helps to deliver the rated top speed.....!

Eh? maximum speed depends on power output at that given speed.
>>It looks like this - goo.gl/Rl6d6A

Ah, it looks better in doom blue than the silver one does on HJ.

>>The Subaru Lineartronic CVT is OK isn't it?

I'd rather have your INVECS-11 tiptronic-type transmission, which I also had in my Lancer, than anything based on CVT's.

>>The one I have bought has an "INVECS -II" 6 speed auto with torque converter.

Um, being it's a 6 speeder, I'm wondering if it's actually an INVECS-111, like the transmission on the ASX 2.2 diesel I checked out recently??
 Page 94 - Newish car ordered. - Duncan
>> This is the 2007-2012 model I was thinking of Manatee, and this is one which
>> was on my list:
>>
>> www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611059466832

That parking is quite, quite, dreadful!

Is that how they do it in Cornwall?

Edit.

I see that it is in Wales. That explains everything!
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 9 Feb 17 at 07:23
 Page 94 - Newish car ordered. - Auntie Lockbrakes
I bought a new Outlander in January 2015 with the same engine & gearbox combo. Now done 17,000 miles. Plenty of smooth power, but alas only really useable on a straight road. The steering and handling on the twisties is rather vague and sloppy!

No issues other than the habitual disappointment with fuel economy in the real world which so many motorists seem to have. We're generally getting low-to-mid-30s mpg. Very hard to crack 40mpg even on a long light-footed run.
Got it yesterday. Over 60 miles it tells me it has done 39mpg. On the old one this would mean about 34. I'm hoping the new one has a more accurate readout.

I wouldn't describe the steering as vague or sloppy, it seems fine to me although it is a bit more numb than the older model. I ascribed that to the switch to electric PAS.

Of course the number plates weren't on straight. They will be when I have got my retention form and V5 and I can put my old number on it.

I have never seen as much dealer branding on a car that wasn't a demo or courtesy one. In addition to the dealer name on the cock-eyed number plates it had -

- a branded plastic pocket stuck to the windscreen with a breakdown service card in it,
- a branded service-due-by sticker in the other top corner,
- proper badges bearing the the dealer name on each front wing,
- the dealer name on the driver's footwell mat,
- a sticker in the rear window applied over the heating elements, as is customary
- and the piece de resistance - the dealer's website address in inch-high white Letraset across the dark blue tailgate, which even the salesman said was "a bit over the top".

This has to be a record doesn't it?

I actually like this dealer but having spent a good half hour this morning after washing it removing the individual tailgate letters with the aid of a hair dryer, I carried on and got rid of everything else apart from the footwell mat, and the number plates whch will be going anyway. They have thoughtfully made me some new plates ready for the change but they have drilled them (I stick them on) and they have the blue GB thing on them which I don't bother with.

They did very kindly leave me a branded golf umbrella and hessian shopping bag in the boot:)

I like the car. It's quieter than the old one and the auto works fine. It has an old fashioned zig zag gate with PRNDL lever positions rather than the modern joystick. There is no automated sport mode, only the steering wheel paddles for manual shifting. Other novelty features include keyless operation and an "ECO" button that transforms the acceleration (from modest to glacial), switches the transmission to demand-only 4WD, and minimises aircon use. I don't think I'll be using that much.

Tyres are Toyo R37, Outlander specials, rather than the Continental that came on the last one. It's possible that they have something to do with the slighty deader steering but I think it's probably the electric assistance.

When it's clean it looks good in its dark pearlescent blue.
 Page 94 - Newish car ordered. - Auntie Lockbrakes
Glad you like it! All that dealer advertising would probably have irritated me - particularly the website on the tailgate and badges on the wings. Taking liberties really.

I guess the handling isn't bad as such, but on the twisty bumpy roads of rural NZ here it doesn't feel overly grippy. It ain't no sports car - but what did I expect?! That said, driving the same roads in a Ford Kuga TDCi is a much nicer driver experience.

I paid 50-odd quid for a 2-piece Mitsubishi plastic bootliner which has kept the boot space looking tidy. Have only used the 2 seats in the boot 3 times in 2 years, but they did their job well!
Latest Forum Posts