Motoring Discussion > Muddy Plates Legal Questions
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 35

Muddy Plates - zippy
Up in the midlands over the last couple of days and the number of cars with obscured number plates was ludicrous.

I am convinced that this is a deliberate ploy to avoid camera they tended to be on smart BMWs and Audis

The best was on an A5 which had a filthy strip of mud from the bottom of the back window to the number plate. The rest of the car was spotless.

I guess the fine for the dirty plate is less than 3 points for speeding!
 Muddy Plates - Dog
Best way to avoid muddy plates 'specially at this time o'year, is to wear proper walking boots; Meindl / Zamberlan etc.
 Muddy Plates - Clk Sec
I spotted a Lexus in a local car park yesterday with it's number plate completely obscured by road muck, and yes, the rest of the car wasn't really that grotty.

There's a madness in their method, I suspect.
 Muddy Plates - VxFan
>> The best was on an A5 which had a filthy strip of mud from the bottom of the back window to the number plate. The rest of the car was spotless.

>> I spotted a Lexus in a local car park yesterday with it's number plate completely obscured by road muck, and yes, the rest of the car wasn't really that grotty.

I suspect both cars were put through a car wash. Brushes have a habit of missing certain parts of the back end of a car.
 Muddy Plates - Clk Sec
>> I suspect both cars were put through a car wash. Brushes have a habit of
>> missing certain parts of the back end of a car.
>>

It must have been a very poor car wash, as the entire rear end of the Lexus was missed.
 Muddy Plates - henry k
Cleanish sides and muddy rear is fairly common.
It seems to be from high cruising speeds and the low pressure behind then sucks up the muck.
" I was unaware officer as I do not use the boot" :-(
That will not wash. Sur!"
 Muddy Plates - henry k
I did a Google search for dirty back windows cars.
I was not aware they are used for art.
Last edited by: henry k on Fri 27 Jan 17 at 13:31
 Muddy Plates - Clk Sec
>>It must have been a very poor car wash, as the entire rear end of the Lexus was missed.

I wish I'd taken photo of it, as not one mm of the plate or its colour was visible.

Muddy Plates - The Melting Snowman
>>it seems to be from high cruising speeds and the low pressure behind then sucks up the muck.

I think that is right. When we had a Megane (the one with the big a***) it was always dirty, I think the odd shape contributed to this.
 Muddy Plates - zippy
>>a Megane (the one with the big a***)

I was in Watford with a younger colleague when we first saw one of these at at showroom.

We both shook our heads and exclaimed "what were they thinking!"

Muddy Plates - rtj70
When I had a Golf hatchback the rear always got very dirty. I might not have washed it over the winter often enough but I kept the number plate and lights clean. And then it got nicked after 6 months of having it in the February.
 Muddy Plates - The Melting Snowman
>>We both shook our heads and exclaimed "what were they thinking!"

It looked different, at a time when most of the competition was quite dreary - with the possible exception of the Focus.

It had its qualities but build quality, electrical durability and general reliability were not among them, in our case anyway.
 Muddy Plates - Harleyman
>> >>We both shook our heads and exclaimed "what were they thinking!"
>>
>> It looked different, at a time when most of the competition was quite dreary -
>> with the possible exception of the Focus.
>>
>> It had its qualities but build quality, electrical durability and general reliability were not among
>> them, in our case anyway.
>>

The silhouette always reminded me of a steam iron.
 Muddy Plates - henry k
>>....the number of cars with obscured number plates....

>>I guess the fine for the dirty plate is less than 3 points for speeding!

I always refer to dirty plates and or lights not working as " copper magnets "
An easy stop for questioning
e.g.
"His car was stopped on the A23 in Merstham by Surrey Police.
His number plate was dirty and couldn't be read properly."
www.surreymirror.co.uk/two-jailed-after-crack-found-between-drug-dealer-s-buttocks-during-surrey-police-operation/story-30163064-detail/story.html

Twas a litle more than 3 points.

Muddy Plates - rtj70
>> I always refer to dirty plates and or lights not working as " copper magnets "

The only car I've had that would very quickly end up with dirty plates was a Golf hatchback (Mark IV). I assume estate cars are probably similar due to aerodynamics.

I kept the plate clean - same reasoning as 'copper magnet'.
 Muddy Plates - henry k
>> I assume estate cars are probably similar due to aerodynamics.
>>
There is Jaguar estate a couple of houses away and its number plate is totally unreadable.
The owner, a solicitor, knows it is in this state so obviously does not care.
The poor state of the garden, fences etc all fits the do not care image.
 Muddy Plates - rtj70
>> There is Jaguar estate a couple of houses away and its number plate is totally unreadable.

When I had the Golf (about 6 months before stolen) the number plate needed cleaning often.
 Muddy Plates - R.P.
Not washed the Touring all winter. Rear plates given an occasional lights, along with the lights.
 Muddy Plates - Runfer D'Hills
Was thinking of washing ours this morning. Don't think they have gone all winter but fairly sure it was before Christmas last time they were done. I do wipe over the lights, mirrors and plates with a damp chamois when required though.

Not going mountain biking today so no real excuse other than there is rain forecast by lunchtime. Might think about it a bit longer...is that the kettle I hear?

;-)
 Muddy Plates - Runfer D'Hills
Funnily enough though, I'm really quite OCD about the inside of my car being kept clean. Can't bear it if it's dirty inside because that's where I sit. Could really care less about the outside.
 Muddy Plates - Dog
>>Could really care less about the outside.

Don't care was made to care. My ole mum used to say that.
 Muddy Plates - Stuartli
>>" Could(n't) really care less about the outside. >>

Giving it a Jetwash is not only more efficient than a car wash, it also works out cheaper...:-)
 Muddy Plates - Duncan
>> I do wipe over the lights, mirrors and plates with a damp chamois when required though.

I thought your mirrors were all too new to need cleaning?

Or have I not been paying proper attention again?
 Muddy Plates - Stuartli
>>"The only car I've had that would very quickly end up with dirty plates...">>

Simples. Stick some rear wheel mud flaps on....:-)
 Muddy Plates - rtj70
It had those - optional extras but I had those on the car. All my cars have had these.

Any other smart ideas Simples? (Is that your new name?)
 Muddy Plates - Old Navy
Mud flaps are a waste of money for road use, the same amount of spray is produced by the wheels, the low air pressure area is still behind the car, They collect wet road grit between the flaps and the paintwork which damages the paint as they flex in the airflow and from water impacts.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 27 Feb 17 at 08:48
 Muddy Plates - Zero
>> Mud flaps are a waste of money for road use, the same amount of spray
>> is produced by the wheels, the low air pressure area is still behind the car,
>> They collect wet road grit between the flaps and the paintwork which damages the paint
>> as they flex in the airflow and from water impacts.

Not really, a large proportion of the spray (atomised water) is reconstituted into water by the flaps, low on the ground in the wheel arches, so there is less spray in the airflow.

They do look naff tho, and although most cars have plastic protection round the arches so the corrosion issue is not a factor, they can only be fitted to the flimsy plastic so they fall off. A lot.

Muddy Plates - Stuartli
>>...they can only be fitted to the flimsy plastic so they fall off. A lot.>>

My best mate had two rear mudflaps (Ford brand) fitted to his brand new Mondeo estate a few days ago.

They cost £37, came with the required replacement bolts (the original bolts are presumably not long enough) and have stopped the rear of the vehicle getting dirty in bad weather. He's delighted.
 Muddy Plates - CGNorwich
Yes, but Zero is right they do look naff.
 Muddy Plates - Stuartli
>> Yes, but Zero is right they do look naff.>>

To some yes, to some no.

Better than a filthy rear end...:-)
 Muddy Plates - henry k
Jaguar owners can fit splash guards.
They are not mud flaps but smaller and are moulded to the contours of the bodywork.

I do think they reduce the amount of crud on my car.
 Muddy Plates - Fullchat
Dont think they reduce the amount of carp distributed by the airflow but I like to have them on the fronts as they deflect road debris from rattling down the sides hence reducing potential for paint chips.
 Muddy Plates - Crankcase
One of the minor catches of having a car on PCP, I discovered, was the mudflap game, at least for my Renault.

They come as an optional extra at purchase time. 48 billion please.

Decline that, and you can instead have them fitted later "to Renault standard at an approved dealer". 58 billion please.

Or you can fit your own, which means drilling the bodywork, even if you get OEM ones. 98 billion on return of car please.

I don't have mudflaps on this car.
 Muddy Plates - henry k
>>Or you can fit your own, which means drilling the bodywork,
>>
French engineering ? :-)
Mine just bolted on with no drilling
 Muddy Plates - Crankcase
Yes, I didn't quite believe it either.

So Zoe is a very dirty girl.
 Muddy Plates - Old Navy
>> Not really, a large proportion of the spray (atomised water) is reconstituted into water by
>> the flaps, low on the ground in the wheel arches, so there is less spray
>> in the airflow.
>>

Rubbish, they make no difference unless they have the astroturf type lining as fitted to some lorries.
Latest Forum Posts