Motoring Discussion > Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BiggerBadderDave Replies: 21

Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - BiggerBadderDave
...where? There on the stair. Where on the stair?

That’s enough singing. They’re in the damned car.

Before Christmas, I noticed they were nicking my bird food in the garage so I moved it all indoors. Then I noticed they were nibbling at my cereal boxes so that had all had to come inside too (stupid small kitchen). I’m all for living in harmony so I never gave it another thought. But wifey left a chocolate bar in the glove box and all of a sudden, that’s gone and they left their poopies. Now I’m annoyed, cos if they’re in the engine bay, they’re gonna start nibbling.

Then, this morning, I ran the lad to school and took the dog too and she went bananas. She started sniffing around the foot well, front and back, getting really worked up. Then it clicked, the mice are running all over the car and she can smell them.

So. Much as I detest it, they’ve gotta go. She wants to poison them, I don’t, I’d rather trap them. Then I can see them. Might keep the car outside till they’ve gone cos the garage is heated and they’re using it as a free hotel, cheeky little gits.
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - ToMoCo
Yep. Trap rather than poison.

If you poison and they lay down to rest somewhere unseen / inaccessible it could create a stink
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - smokie
I had mice in the garage a few years back and used those old fashioned traps (the ones which kill). I had three or four traps and had quite a few nights when I had 100% hit rate. They seem to like peanut butter. I've not had them again since then (as far as I know).

I did once have a probably rat in the loft, there was deffo an animal as you could hear it scrabbling and we had some soft furnishing and paperwork trashed. I got nothing in the trap but put in a sonic rat repeller and that seemed to do the trick. Apparently they go into very small holes in your outside wall then up the cavity, and it's not that uncommon.
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - Bobby
Traps and peanut butter inside the car.
Outside the car and you will attract them from miles around.
Might be worth checking their passage from, assuming, engine bay to car. They may have started nibbling!

Incidentally, my Labrador sleeps in his bed in the utility room. never barks.
Suddenly started barking over course of a few evenings and it was then that we discovered we had mice!
What’s funny is the cereal boxes were in one of those big reusable shopping bags and I hung it from a shelf at eye-level. So they’re capable and gymnastic. I’ll try the peanut method, but I bet the kids will nick that too. We’ve had rats in the garden, two at least as I’ve seen them both at the same time. I think they go for the bird food I put out. And wifey has poisoned them, I found one of the carcasses in the borders.

I’m not surprised that they entered the glovebox through the firewall, but didn’t expect them in the cabin. I never lock it either so at least they aren’t setting off the alarm.
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Tue 17 Jan 17 at 13:17
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - Focal Point
"If you poison and they lay down to rest somewhere..."

Lie. Not lay.

Sorry. There will probably now be an outcry against excessive and unbridled pedantry.
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - sooty123
I didn't know mice were so untruthful.
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - Focal Point
"I didn't know mice were so untruthful."

Very good!

There are many, many meanings/grammatical functions of the words "lie", "lay", "laid" and - one for Sooty - "lain".
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - sooty123
and - one
>> for Sooty - "lain".
>>

Why, that's not my name.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 17 Jan 17 at 13:37
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - ToMoCo
>> Sorry. There will probably now be an outcry against excessive and unbridled pedantry.
>>

I only come here for the edumacation
:)
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - devonite
Leave the engine ticking over overnight to fumigate the garage an gas'em out! - remember to hold your breath the next day whilst you get the car out and leave the garage door open a couple of hours! ;-))
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - legacylad
Living on what 20 years ago were sheep grazed fields, and surrounded by fields, I got the occasional mouse in da garage. Entrance was underneath the up & over doors. I used a combination of Traditional wooden Little Nippers and the quick set plastic ones. Jaffa Cakes as bait. Nice n sticky. I installed an electronic device at the rear of the garage ( emitting sound waves towards the doors) and have been ok since.
Hopefully the new sectional garage door which makes contact with the ground via a rubber strip will prevent further intrusion, unless they sneak in surrepticiously whilst I'm getting the car in or out.

I know another big word
Wheelbarrow
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 17 Jan 17 at 14:24
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - spamcan61
>> If you poison and they lay down to rest somewhere unseen / inaccessible it could
>> create a stink
>>

Oh yesssss... our 3 cats catch 40-50 mice a year (I have no idea where the hell they are all coming from), one of them must've maimed/killed one over Xmas and left it under the radiator in the conservatory. Boy did that pong after a few days, took me hours to find it!
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - Ted

I had some which were getting on to the workbench in the workshop. I think there was a rat as the some poo was a lot bigger. Things had been disturbed which a mouse couldn't move.

I invented and developed my 'mouseocutor' after that. A jamjar...I usually keep cables off old appliances with the plug on so I bared the live and neg about 6 inches and stretched the cables across the mouth of the jar about an inch apart securing them with insulation tape. Before locking up for the night I plugged the device in. I left a large card propped up against it saying 'Danger 240V' in case of burglars. The mice couldn't read...even though they are Manchester mice !

Result was a dead unmarked mouse every morning for a week or so. Bait, in the jar, was a Digestive biccie. Much more humane than poison. Just remember to unplug before removing the cadaver ! I blocked up where I thought the rat was getting in and no trace of him since.
Now that sounds like fun Ted... I'll use that method if I get them again!!
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - martin aston
While Ted knows what he's doing it does sound like the set up for an episode of "Casualty" or "Tales of the Unexpected" ;-)
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - R.P.
Declared war on them hetre a couple of years ago. Rentokil plastic traps netted around 11 of them. No trace since.

Living in harmony ? Yeah right.
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - MD
For several years they have infested all three vee hicles. Two days ago I took the air filter out of the van and the compartment was rammed packed with shells, three times as much as last year, and shucks and all manner of mouse bedding. I got rid of that.. Checked again today and it's starting to accumulate again. They do no harm like this, but when they start chewing the wiring then that can cost a fortune to correct. I liberally sprayed WD40 around the inlet. I'll see if that deters them.
" I liberally sprayed WD40"

at least that'll stop them squeaking...
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - MD
I wish I'd thought of that😊
 Lexus RX300 - I saw a mouse... - Ted

You will, Oscar......You will !
Bought four traps this afternoon and set three around the garage, one in the car. Cheese and peanut butter for bait. I looked in this evening and no activity and it was too dark to see in the car. I was about to leave when I thought I’d open the door and have a quick look. There was mouse number one, a big adult too. That’ll learn ya. Stay away from my motor. The trap has been reset.
Latest Forum Posts