Motoring Discussion > HRW element repair Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 10

HRW element repair - bathtub tom
I've lost an element on my heated rear window, annoying as the car's less than three years old and I've never had anything in it that could have caused the damage.

Anyone ever used one of the electrically conductive paint repair kits and would they recommend it?
 HRW element repair - Old Navy
I used it decades ago, it worked for me. Mask each side of the conductor to be repaired with tape, scrape each side of the repair site to reveal bare conductor and use several coats of the conductive paint.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 16 Jan 17 at 17:19
 HRW element repair - smokie
Really? I'd have thought they were embedded in the layers of glass these days...
 HRW element repair - Old Navy
>> Really? I'd have thought they were embedded in the layers of glass these days...
>>

Did you miss the "decades ago"?
 HRW element repair - Bromptonaut
>> Really? I'd have thought they were embedded in the layers of glass these days...

Not on Berlingo, Roomster or Pug 107 and clones.
 HRW element repair - Bromptonaut
>> Anyone ever used one of the electrically conductive paint repair kits and would they recommend
>> it?

Funny this should come up as both The Lad and I have same problem.

Mine is just one or two elements at base of screen with short breaks (abrasion by luggage?). Had similar in my 205 20 or so years ago and repaired with the paint stuff. OK but not all that durable; tended to flake off.

Lad's is much more extensive, only about 2 working elements and extensive abrasion. Pretty well certain damage done by a previous owner but too late to complain now to supplying dealer. Needs new screen I think. As glass doubles as rear hatch and is secured only by hinges it ought to be reasonably easy DIY (though wiper needs transferring). Might be within my capability on a good day but certainly beyond his.
 HRW element repair - Falkirk Bairn
>>the car's less than three years old

Warranty job on many/most makes!
 HRW element repair - Runfer D'Hills
The same night we took possession of my wife's Qashqai, I removed the dealer sticker from the inside top of the rear screen. Don't like stickers.

Yeah, not good. In doing so, I also broke the top two stripes of the HRW. Keep meaning to get it fixed but never seem to get around to it. We've only had the car 6 years so there's time yet I suppose...😬
 HRW element repair - PeterS
Well the rear window is definitely covered under the 'glass cover' section of my insurance policy
And it's possible that what you're dealing with is as a result of accidental damage
So I wonder if you could make a case that it should be covered under the glass section of your policy, even though the window iteself is not actually broken?

Mind you, I noticed that the excess included on the renewal policy LV have quoted for is now £90!!
 HRW element repair - mikeyb
I "think" anything on my policy other than windscreen will attract a premium increase as its classed as a claim
 HRW element repair - Bill Payer
Three adjacent lines have gone on my wife's year old Tiguan - the element is on the surface and is in two halves, only the drivers side has gone.

I have no idea how it could have happened and my wife's denies all knowledge. I didn't notice them not working last winter - this winter it was obvious first frosty day.

I don't fancy having the rear screen changed - too many horror stories about glass changes to get one done unless it's unavoidable.

Like others, I have used the conductive paint many years ago, but it was a bit messy.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Tue 17 Jan 17 at 17:48
Latest Forum Posts