Motoring Discussion > car tax hikes! Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 28

car tax hikes! - devonite
just found this on Google news, makes ones eyes water! - looks like me and the Skoda will be parting company soon then, if this is true! ;-(

www.walesonline.co.uk/news/motoring/heres-how-much-new-dvla-12456956
 car tax hikes! - zippy
That's what we get when we have a Govt that promised no income tax rises.

This type of taxation that unfairly taxes low earners the same as higher rate earners.

Best to put it on fuel and tax the real road users and the foreign trucks can also contribute.
 car tax hikes! - zippy
Are those rates based on the real CO2 rates or the VW co2 rates?
 car tax hikes! - Runfer D'Hills

>> This type of taxation that unfairly taxes low earners the same as higher rate earners.
>> Best to put it on fuel and tax the real road users

Trouble is, there are plenty of low earners who need to use a lot of fuel too.

Tricky one all round.
 car tax hikes! - Harleyman

>> Best to put it on fuel and tax the real road users and the foreign
>> trucks can also contribute.
>>

You can forget about foreign trucks. why do you think they've all got diesel tanks the size of most peoples' cars?
 car tax hikes! - RichardW
Only applies to cars reg after 1st April (no joke!) - and the hike in rate is only for the first year, unless it costs over £40k in which case the supplement lasts for 5 years. The CO2 bands are effectively moving down, so all except full EVs are going to cost more to tax in the long term - although only for the first year, as all are £140 from year 2.
 car tax hikes! - R.P.
It is true but there is no retrospective taxation I don't think.
 car tax hikes! - Tigger
1. Its not retrospective
2. Many cars were falsely claiming to emit low levels of CO2
3. We were getting to the point where a huge number of cars on the road were paying small amounts of road tax. It was getting to the point where the tax take was going down.
 car tax hikes! - Crankcase
What is this road tax of which you speak? :)
 car tax hikes! - devonite
>>Only applies to cars reg after 1st April <<

That's not too bad then! - I read it that only 99g/km cars would be free for life, but the changes would affect ALL other cars! - phew!
 car tax hikes! - Shiny
A very badly written article - maybe written as clickbait?
 car tax hikes! - madf
As this was announce more than a year ago, why are we discussing out of date issues? Or do some parts of the UK live in a timewarp?

:-)
 car tax hikes! - commerdriver
>> As this was announce more than a year ago, why are we discussing out of
>> date issues? Or do some parts of the UK live in a timewarp?
>>
>> :-)
>>
Wales has only just caught on I guess.

Looks like a reasonable way to do it anyway.

Year 1 car tax will only catch those who buy new cars, either businesses or those with enough money to buy new. Higher tax for those with more expensive / more polluting cars, seems reasonable. Same tax for everyone later, questionable but not unfair.
Reduced incentive for lower CO2 which, to many people, was the wrong encouragement in the first place.

Does anyone remember whether any parties promised not to raise income taxes as such at the last election?
 car tax hikes! - Roger.
Pollution has nothing to do with it, IMO, it's just a way for the government to APPEAR virtuous, while raising taxes.
(I'm not decrying the necessity of taxes in general).
I suspect that London's "congestion charge" has something similar in its imposition.
 car tax hikes! - smokie
The UK has a commitment to reduce CO by a massive amount (see tinyurl.com/q2fkuua and tinyurl.com/clgs486 ), that's why there have been, and continue to be all kinds of incentives for renewable energy sources.

Cars contribute quite a bit, so it will assist in achieving the target if people change to lower carbon cars. So they are nudging people towards that by way of tax.

So IMO it is all to do with pollution (or, as it's called elsewhere, climate change.

( I read somewhere that we are miles behind in progress towards the targets, not helped by delays to new power stations etc)
 car tax hikes! - commerdriver
>> Pollution has nothing to do with it, IMO, it's just a way for the government
>> to APPEAR virtuous, while raising taxes.
>>
Maybe that's the intention but the effect is basically more initial tax for larger more polluting cars.

It has the additional effect of raising more tax from those who can afford it most, which is hard to argue with.
 car tax hikes! - rtj70
Trouble is, to get us to reduce CO2 emissions from cars we got persuaded to drive diesels. But the NOx emissions are much higher than any of us realised. And there's the particulate problem.

Maybe we should have been persuaded to buy small capacity turbo petrol cars sooner.
 car tax hikes! - Old Navy
>> Trouble is, to get us to reduce CO2 emissions from cars we got persuaded to
>> drive diesels. But the NOx emissions are much higher than any of us realised. And
>> there's the particulate problem.
>>
>> Maybe we should have been persuaded to buy small capacity turbo petrol cars sooner.
>>

The tiny petrol turbos won't be around long either, lots of NOx and even smaller and more dangerous particulates.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 16 Jan 17 at 17:30
 car tax hikes! - legacylad
I've been looking now & again for a practical replacement for my '04 330 convertible, and recently came across a private sale on AT for a 2007 330 Touring. Dodgy colour combination aside, the info states that the RFL is £500pa. My 330 was £285 ... surely it hasn't gone up that much?
If it has then regrettably I shall be looking elsewhere. Much as I like that engine, I'm not paying that much tax.
 car tax hikes! - Bromptonaut
LL

Nothing to do with forthcoming changes. They only affect vehicles registered after 1/4/17.

Same engine as your old one yes? Difference is down to date of registration; yours was before before 23 March 2006. From that date on there were additional bands for vehicles with very high CO2 emmissions. Looks as though that moved 330 from band K to band L.

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/508618/V149_170316.pdf
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 22 Jan 17 at 10:35
 car tax hikes! - henry k
>>Difference is down to date of registration; yours was before before 23 March 2006.
>> From that date on there were additional bands for vehicles with very high CO2 emmissions.
>>
My 07 2.5L petrol auto X Type "fell foul" of the increase so I pay £500 a year.
 car tax hikes! - mikeyb
>> >>Difference is down to date of registration; yours was before before 23 March 2006.
>> >> From that date on there were additional bands for vehicles with very high CO2
>> emmissions.
>> >>
>> My 07 2.5L petrol auto X Type "fell foul" of the increase so I pay
>> £500 a year.

I found this out when we bought Mrs B's Viano - went for a 2005 version and I think we pay 280 a year, but anything newer was 500. Ironic really as I believe the 2006 onwards got a DPF
 car tax hikes! - DP
>> I've been looking now & again for a practical replacement for my '04 330 convertible,
>> and recently came across a private sale on AT for a 2007 330 Touring. Dodgy
>> colour combination aside, the info states that the RFL is £500pa. My 330 was £285
>> ... surely it hasn't gone up that much?
>> If it has then regrettably I shall be looking elsewhere. Much as I like that
>> engine, I'm not paying that much tax.
>>

The bands are only changing for new cars registered from April 1st. All cars that were first registered before the new system comes into effect remain on the existing VED scale which will not change. I don't believe there are any dramatic increases on the existing scale.

There is still a concession for very high emission cars if they were registered pre-2006 too, which pegs them at Band K (£295 pa). This has resulted in a lot of cars being much cheaper to tax on an 06 or earlier plate, than an identical car on 56 or onwards, for example.
Many thanks for the clarification. Seems like it will be well night impossible to sell an older car with such high annual tax. Trade in values will be rock bottom and a good old un will almost become obsolete. Surely keeping an old car on the road must be more environmentally friendly than using resources and energy to build a replacement.
What do I know
 car tax hikes! - MD
You know sweet FA my friend, a bit like me and many others. There is no point in trying to be practical in this increasingly mad world.
 car tax hikes! - madf
£500 a year tax for a 2006 Subaru 2.5 Forester? worth £4k if with average miles (100k)?
No thanks.

(Just an example.. most other 4x4s are the same around that era as most diesels then were not "mpg efficient on paper")
 car tax hikes! - CGNorwich
I think you are missing the point. Cars like that are cheap precisely because they are costly to run. If they weren't they would be a lot more expensive to buy. It's how the market works.
The major cost is ( hopefully) the tax. The 330 Touring on AT is an '07, 62k miles, £6200 being asked. If you drive few annual miles so fuel costs are not a major factor, have a few years NCD, have a well regarded postcode with regards to insurance, plan to run it into the ground, then taking all things into the equation it can be cheap motoring because the largest cost is normally depreciation when buying outright.
I owned my 330 for 6 years. Paid £9750 for it. Plus towbar fitting. Sold it for £5k. RFL increased to £285pa. Annual service circa £100 at my local independent. Over 6 years it needed one full set of tyres, and it only had one major service which cost £470, which included plugs, all filters, a set of discs and pads. 32mpg overall.
I considered that reasonably cheap motoring, although running an older car you take a chance that nothing expensive goes wrong. I thought £5k depreciation over 6 years more than acceptable, as were the overall running costs.
As for my next car, heaven only knows.
 car tax hikes! - Dog
>>£500 a year tax for a 2006 Subaru 2.5 Forester?

£295 for my 2007 2.0XC auto [at the mo]

>>worth £4k

Yew can avvit for £2500

>> (100k)?

:}

Latest Forum Posts