Motoring Discussion > Women and cars Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 66

Women and cars - Crankcase
When someone on here wants a new car, look what happens.

This is a link to Mumsnet. And it has sweary bits in, because, women, eh?

It's true what they say. Colour first, then possibly a CD player, after that, who gives a flying, apparently.

Right, that's my misogyny pandered to for the morning. And yes, I am making sweeping generalisations.

tinyurl.com/jlxor4o

Ps they are probably the sensible ones
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 15 Jan 17 at 09:46
 Women and cars - smokie
LOL I like the one who wanted a USB port... and didn't get it!!
 Women and cars - Runfer D'Hills
Funnily enough, the thing my wife says she likes the most about her car is that it's red. I'm pretty sure she has no idea what size of engine it has other than that it's "a petrol one".

In truth, they/she may well be the smart ones.
 Women and cars - smokie
Yep, probably right. And that's fair enough but the thread is quite amusing.

I recall going to the auctions one day to get SWMBO a Focus. It was a replacement for a green one, and she wanted the same again. She wasn't bothered about the spec or anything, it had to be green. I got the blue one :-) In the end she was OK with it though (and it's still with us...!!)
 Women and cars - CGNorwich
I can understand that. I have an irrational dislike of white cars. Wouldn't buy one whatever its. make spec. price or condition.

Colour plays a bigger part in vehicle buying for both men and women than is generally admitted to.
Depends what you're interested in I guess. I could tell you the most obscure things about the specifications of most of the cars I've had, and indeed about many I haven't, but although we own several computers, mobile phones and tablets, I couldn't begin to say what their specifications were, I just use them and hope that they continue to work so that I don't have to buy any new ones.
What I really like is driving rather than cars as such. Not driving like a maniac or overtaking everything in site. Just plain old driving from A to B preferable with A and B seperated by a long a distance as possible Not particualrly interested in the cars spec. As long as it up to the job and has a decent radio I'm happy
 Women and cars - Duncan
>>although we own several computers, mobile phones and tablets, I couldn't begin to
>> say what their specifications were, I just use them and hope that they continue to
>> work so that I don't have to buy any new ones.
>>

I am just the same. I don't even what lots of the computer type words mean.

When I fiddle with my iphone, it says - do you want to allow xxx? I dunno! Do I?
I like think of the "F" buttons on a computer keyboard as levels of frustration. F1 being mildly upset through to utter rage at the higher numbers. The numbers representing the frequency of the necessity to use the F word when the computer won't do as it's told.

;-)
 Women and cars - Falkirk Bairn
Just read the post on mumsnet - horrendous!

SWMBO has no interest in cars other than the look, colour & reliability!
If I were to depart in the nearish future the CRV would go - to be replaced with Japanese brand, 1600-2000cc Petrol/Hybrid, auto - no turbos as cars cannot go faster than 30 in a 30 & 70 on a motorway!

Actually-
SWMBO has no interest in cars other than reliability! then colour & look.

No French, German, Italian etc etc as we have had our fingers burned in buying & running 40+ new/nearly new cars in 50 years until we bought our first Honda in 1995 - since then no repair issues other than servicing, tyres & the odd issues of worn out bushes, track rod ends, calipers etc etc
 Women and cars - Dog
My ole woman isn't too fussed about the colour of a car, as long as it isn't green!

If pushed, she will admit to a preference for red cars, which our current car is, until Tuesday, when I'll be buying a Quartz Blue car, which she has expressed a liking for, colour wise.

I have owned a phew green cars: mrk 1 Capri + MGB Roadster + Datsun 240Z. The Capri got pranged by a dustcart while parked up at work. I smashed up the Z twice.
I owned the MGB when I had my collar felt (not motoring-related) by Lambeth Plod = HUGE fine.
 Women and cars - R.P.
Mrs RP buys what she wants when she wants. Still thinking about an MX5 - engine and colour, interior and exterior is as well.
 Women and cars - Bill Payer
I've always regarded Mrs BP as pretty uninterested in cars - 'easy to park' would probably be the most important thing to her.

She did surprise me by really liking the 3 Series I had from work for a few months - she liked the way it drove and that an older gentleman made a complimentary remark about her and the car when she was refuelling it!

She generally objected to having to drive my company cars (I wanted her to use them in preference to her own as fuel was "free") but she would ask to take the BMW.
 Women and cars - Harleyman
Mrs HM is likewise uninterested in her daily drive, to the extent of having to be nagged to clean it inside or out; I have found this, with apologies to Pat, to be a fairly common feminine trait.

Wifey's choice of car is specific to blue ones, her only real dislike is for Kia's due to an unfortunate episode of owning a Pride many years ago. Her passion is for Mustangs though, regrettably it would have to be a 68 Shelby 500 so I suspect she may have to wait a while yet!
 Women and cars - madf
>> Mrs HM is likewise uninterested in her daily drive, to the extent of having to
>> be nagged to clean it inside or out; I have found this, with apologies to
>> Pat, to be a fairly common feminine trait.
>>
>>
NAGGED TO CLEAN IT? NAGGED?????

If I nagged Mrs Madf to clean her car - or even nagged her full stop - I would be met with a list of all my faults dating back to the day we met in 1968. Several hours worth...spread over several weeks..

Life is too short so I clean and wash and fuel it for her...
 Women and cars - Fullchat
Ditto :)
Just out of curiosity chaps I was wondering who does the cleaning, washing, ironing, cooking, hoovering, in your houses. Wouldn't be "wifey" would it? :-)
 Women and cars - sooty123
>> Just out of curiosity chaps I was wondering who does the cleaning, washing, ironing, cooking,
>> hoovering, in your houses. Wouldn't be "wifey" would it? :-)
>>

Nope not ours, we both split all that sort of thing.
>> Just out of curiosity chaps I was wondering who does the cleaning, washing, ironing, cooking,
>>

She does most of the washing ironing and hoovering, we share the rest cos we both work full time. I do stuff like cleaning the oven, decorating and anything to do with the garden because any plant she touches is under instant sentence of death. Lived on my own for many years so I'm no stranger to housework.

I actually don't mind cleaning the outside of the car but I baulk at removing the accumulated detritus of sweet wrappers and tissues which left to her would eventually fill every storage pocket. Ditto the boot in which supermarket shopping bags seem to breed in a fashion which would put rabbits to shame.
 Women and cars - legacylad
That would be mememe
In previous lives all household duties were designated into who had the spare time, be it cooking, cleaning or whatever.
The first mrs LL still cleans her own car, and indeed her elderly fathers. As for tyre pressures, oil, water, screen wash, that was an alien world.
 Women and cars - Bromptonaut

Overall about 50/50. She cooks on Wed and Fri when I work until 7pm. I do most other days but we eat separately on Tuesday as she's out early evening with community orchestra. Washing just gets done - loading machine is hardly arduous. Both vac's, cylinder for the laminate and upright for carpets are mine.

Easy care fabrics and a decent tumble drier have more or less ended need to iron.
, to be a fairly common feminine trait.
>>

Yeap same here its like a skip on wheels at times. SiL is even worse.
 Women and cars - Bromptonaut
>> , to be a fairly common feminine trait.

Seen it posited that men have messy homes and tidy cars while women have tidy homes and messy cars. My Roomster is usually tidier inside then her Berlingo but she has the horror of an A43/M40/A34 commute and needs breakfast on the go. I just zip through the lanes into Northampton, breakfast is Greggs' bread pudding and the free coffee (instant but decent) provided in the office.
 Women and cars - bathtub tom
>> her only real dislike is for Kia's due to an unfortunate episode of owning a Pride many years ago.

What happened? I still have a soft spot for the one I had for six years, probably because it only cost me fifty quid. I will admit it had NO handling capabilities on the road, but off-road..........................................

>> What happened? I still have a soft spot for the one I had for six
>> years, probably because it only cost me fifty quid. I will admit it had NO
>> handling capabilities on the road, but off-road..........................................
>>

She paid well over the odds for it (before we met) and it turned out to be a rotbox; I didn't actually think it was such a bad car as its reputation suggested, certainly went quite well. She had a Punto after that which she actually liked more than our current Hyundai, but again tinworm was its downfall.
While the outside of my car is often bogging, the inside is always spotlessly clean. It's where I sit and I like it clean and tidy. Amazing how often a passenger will blatantly sit and pick dog hairs or other unidentifiable detritus off themselves and just flick it on the floor. I try not to care or say anything, but if they start eating sweets and depositing the wrappers in my door bins as well, I can't help myself.

How very dare they ?!!!

;-)
 Women and cars - Roger.
You would not credit that my wife raised our daughter!
Our car "has" to be clean and tidy, inside and out.
Daughter's car is an ordure heap, inside and out.
She won't wash it, claiming the Northern Irish country roads she traverses daily in the course of her domiciliary care job, would muck it up again!
We were there for three weeks at Christmas time and admittedly the roads are vile: I was made -sorry - ENCOURAGED - to take OUR car to a car wash on the grounds of "I'm not going to be seen in THAT!"

As far as car buying is concerned, in my motor trade experience selling new and used Ladas, Protons and other used cars, it was generally the husband who chose the model, but it was the wife who decided if it could be afforded.
 Women and cars - Pat
All I want is for a car to start when I need it, have a heated seat and front windscreen and a cup holder. It needs to be a reasonable size and to have the ability to pick up it's skirts and go when I need it to.

Colour is not really a consideration as long as it isn't brown!

I notice that women's cars are usually untidy in this thread but I'm the smoker in our two car family and the XC60 at any given time is far cleaner and tidier than the Fiesta.

....but I never clean it out, just keep it clean by taking any rubbish with me when I get out and dropping it in a bin.

I also note that the men on here seem to share the household duties but none, apart from CG, mention ironing.

Shame on you, that's why you all have those expensive to run tumble driers, so you don't have to iron:)

It's one of the most cathartic things you can do. You should try it sometime in front of a window, watching the wildlife and with some loud music playing:)

Pat
 Women and cars - Duncan
>> I also note that the men on here seem to share the household duties but
>> none, apart from CG, mention ironing.

There is virtually no ironing. All my shirts are non-iron. No hankies, we use paper tissues.

We have a gardener and a cleaner - both female. So that cuts down on a number of the domestic tasks. Although I do mow the grass - reluctantly.

Anything to do with the cars, I do.

Cooking - Lady Duncan does - reluctantly.

Taking out of stuff for rubbish, or composting, I do.

That's enough domesticity for now, I think.

It never occurred to us from day one to do any of those domestic chores for each other, so we never have. Cooking - we eat different things at different times mostly, so sort ourselves out. If there is a shared meal then I do the cooking. Her limits are a grill and a kettle. Washing - I do mine, she does hers. Ironing - she does hers, I elected never to iron anything so I don't do any. Hoovering I hate, but will do if I think about it; to be fair she does most of that. Dishwasher loading and emptying and kitchen cleaning is all mine. Bathrooms - she uses the main one upstairs, I use the shower room downstairs mostly. So we keep our "own" rooms clean and tidy and never go into the other one. Rubbish - whoever gets to it first.

Things like paying bills, organizing everything such as holidays, days out, tickets for shows, anything on the internet, anything to do with cars, banks, finance in general, all that stuff is mine.

Etc. Seems to work ok.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 16 Jan 17 at 08:18
 Women and cars - Dog
I do 95% of the cooking here. The hoovering, dusting, washing, ironing, even the shopping, gets done my the ole woman.

Oh, being I'm head cook, I run the steam mop over the scullery floor ... 3 times per week, but I do have my very own rechargeable stick vac which I push around the kitchen floor every morgen.

Course, I'm in charge of the multi-fuel stove, which I light every day in the Winter months, I also get up at 5:50am, give the ole woman a cup of hot water with a slice of lemon innit, prepare her porridge with blueberries, and take it up to her with a cup of proper tea, let the dogs out for a piddle, then feed 'em.

I do some washing up now and again (notta lot) but the memsahib does the after dinner stuff, after dinner.

Wouldn't want a dishwasher thank you very much - haddem left behind by previous owners of numerous properties I've bought o'er the years, but never even considered using 'em, like.
>> It never occurred to us from day one to do any of those domestic chores for each other, so we never have.

That's quite an unusual domestic chores set up. Not a criticism just an observation.
I'm always suspicious when men say they share the households chores. They are usually pretty selective at what they choose to do and I reluctantly agree to that myself. Ask the female partner and you normally get a different story. " yes he does cook occasionally but you should see the state of th kitchen when he has finished". Or yes he did use the new Dyson for a bit after insisting we bought that model but he doesn't go near it now".

The really crucial test is to ask who clean the toilets? Come on now be honest.

And yes Pat my wife enjoys ironing too, exactly as you describe.
 Women and cars - commerdriver
>> The really crucial test is to ask who clean the toilets? Come on now be
>> honest.
My wife made it clear from day 1 of our marriage that cleaning toilets was mens' work, to which, still in early wedded euphoria, I agreed and so it has been for 35 years. Apart from that its pretty much shared now that there are 3 adults in house including grown up daughter.

My sainted mother was not impressed, my parents long & happy marriage was based on household tasks being womens' work, apart from the odd cup of tea, serving of drinks to guests, and carving the Sunday joint.

>> The really crucial test is to ask who clean the toilets? Come on now be
>> honest.

I do mine. I imagine she does hers. It's not something we've ever discussed.
>> I'm always suspicious when men say they share the households chores.

Why ?

The really crucial test is to ask who clean the toilets? Come on now be
>> honest.

Cleaned plenty of toilets in my time and to a very good standard. Thank you very much ;)
As mentioned earlier, Mrs HM does the ironing.... by choice. I suspect it's partly because she can watch the telly whilst she's doing it.

There is however one slight exception to the rule.... I iron my "best" shirts and decent trousers (yes I do own a pair!) myself. Anyone who's ex-services will understand why.
 Women and cars - Dog
I said ... I DON'T LIKE GREEN CARS! www.flickr.com/photos/rustystreets/23873794065
 Women and cars - devonite
Bet that's a nightmare to polish!
 Women and cars - Dog
It'll be a lot less bother with a hover!
 Women and cars - VxFan
Wonder if it's got a Moss alarm fitted?
 Women and cars - Old Navy
There is one of them advertising artificial grass in a local shopping center at the moment. When I paused to look at it Mrs ON said "No chance". :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 16 Jan 17 at 13:21
Why would anyone prefer artificial grass over the real stuff.

Real grass is:

A whole lots cheaper
Looks nicer
Self repairing
So much easier to lay
Doesn't look incrediibly naff
And the thought of dog crap on artificial turf doesn't bear thinking about :-)
 Women and cars - Dog
I have more a small paddock, rather than a large lawn, so fake turf is a no go for me here.

If I had a 'normal' sized jardin, I'd consider the arti stuff as I've seen some quite realistic-looking 'stuff'.

Re: the Shi'ite ... I'd have to think long-and-hard about that one!
Actually there is one place where I would use it. Someone I know has a roof garden and they have a small square of the stuff which look OK. (They haven't got a got a dog though!)
>> Why would anyone prefer artificial grass over the real stuff.
>>

my brother had it fitted, he tried to get real grass to grow but couldn't. It was a stepped garden. He spent ages trying to make it work but just didn't happen it was just mud. In with the kids desperate to play outside he just got fake grass. The expensive stuff looks pretty real. i think the technology has come on leaps from the days of a green carpet.
Unless the garden is severely shaded i'm surprised that he can't grow grass.

Indeed I've made several lawns by just leaving an area to nature, letting whatever weeds and grass grow and then cutting the area with a rotary mower. You soon kill all the annual weeds and pretty soon have a perfectly acceptable area of lawn if not of the finest quality.

Still if the artificial stuff works for him that's great.
It was strange all the other 'steps' were fine just the bottom one. He's quite keen on the garden so I think he was disappointed it wouldn't grow. But it's better than mud.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 16 Jan 17 at 15:09
 Women and cars - The Melting Snowman
We have a maid woman who does most of our chores. When my missus and I were working full-time, we always had a cleaner and when we retired we both agreed to keep her on. We've worked hard all our lives and we can afford it so it leaves us with more time to go out and enjoy our twilight years. She does the cleaning and most of the laundry, although not the ironing. My missus is very particular about how things are ironed. She does some but not all the shopping and does some meals on special occasions if we ask which is just as well as my wife can burn water.

We have a local youth who cuts the grass and hedges, otherwise I do most of the rest (pruning and planting mainly). House maintenance is my responsibility although we pay a man to clean the windows, a job I detest.

The maid woman is worth her money for the local gossip. She's not called Radio Hilda for nothing...
Last edited by: The Melting Snowman on Mon 16 Jan 17 at 17:10
 Women and cars - Cliff Pope
I'm not allowed to do any of the regular household chores - problems with quality control, I believe. I'm the man who fixes things.

If I tried to pull that one then none of my clothes would be cleaned and I'd starve. There would also be some pretty major grumpiness!
Our arrangements are very simple, if it's something indoors that needs cleaning, washing or ironing then she does it no matter who was, or is likely to, wear it or use it, if it's something that needs attention outside the house, in the garden or on the drive, then I do it.

With the exception of "proper" meals which I tend to prefer to cook because the quality of her cooking is at best, erm, variable. She washes up though. Or uses the dishwasher if required.

I did offer to iron back when I was young and foolish, but she won't let me. Says it's her job. Who am I to argue?

I fill her car up with petrol when it needs it, and I clean it when I do mine. ( about 4 times a year ) Cleaning the inside of her car without wearing a biohazard suit can feel quite risky though.

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 17 Jan 17 at 17:39
 Women and cars - DP
Mrs DP likes cars and driving. She chose her Cooper S after driving loads of stuff. She's also very excited at the prospect of the BM arriving in March.
 Women and cars - Old Navy
Females have a nesting instinct, cars are not nests. Try treating her house (nest) the way she treats her car at your peril.
Females? Ah you mean women.
 Women and cars - Cliff Pope
>> Females have a nesting instinct, cars are not nests. Try treating her house (nest) the
>> way she treats her car at your peril.
>>

Interesting analogy. In that case I am like one of those birds on David Attenborough, tempting my mate by constructing an elaborate nest for her to move in to. The one where the bird collected a bizarre selection of coloured knick-nacks and seashore junk describes our (my) house pretty accurately.
Do tell DP ( sorry if I've missed previous posts)
I'd be seriously impressed if it's an M2 or M135i

My ex ex is only impressed by quality, hence her owning the same Lexus IS for 12 years

The ex was a speed freak, who (seriously) always wanted to find the top speed of her new repmobile within the first month. And it wasn't 90 ish!
 Women and cars - DP
>> Do tell DP ( sorry if I've missed previous posts)
>> I'd be seriously impressed if it's an M2 or M135i

I've got an M140i 5dr auto on order. They were quoting May delivery initially, but it looks like it's coming forward a bit to March.

It's a deeply silly car in many ways, but it's the only car I can recall driving in recent years that I completely fell in love with on the test drive. Does lazy, smooth six cylinder cruising one minute, then angry, snarly old school BMW howl the next. Ridiculous performance as well.

I've bought a 52 plate Focus 2.0 Zetec as a stopgap. It's a great car. I'd forgotten just how nice mk1 Focuses were to drive. Hoping to sell that in March and get my money back (although I've had to put a clutch in it)

Sounds lovely. Literally
Better than lovely in fact
 Women and cars - ToMoCo
>> Sounds lovely. Literally
>> Better than lovely in fact
>>

Agreed. What an incredible car. I'd love one
 Women and cars - DP
Thanks both.

It's the first new car I have ever bought, so a huge deal personally. I've been thinking about doing something for about 9 months before finally taking the plunge.

Went for Mineral Grey with the coral red leather. Added the 8-speed sport auto, the Harman Kardon stereo, the poncy "pro" media setup, heated seats, privacy glass and adaptive suspension. That was a mere fraction of the available options. The demonstrator had all sorts of nonsense on it (and listed at almost £50k!)

Can't wait to get it!
. Should I ever have the funds I would buy a 340 Touring in that colour combination. Same options, but maybe HUD and definitely pano roof.
Coincidentally when I sold my '04 330 to my nephew last summer, it was replaced by a Mk2 Focus, sourced from a customer passing through the garage where my pal is chief MOT tester.

It's a long way from my first new car... a Mk1 Polo (RWX 566R) and my late Father bought his second Passat estate ( RWX 567R). His previous car was one of the first Passat estates in the country ( PKY 888M).
Unsurprisingly our next door neighbour was a VW salesman who was a good friend of ours... we played lots of squash together, and participated in other sports. He was a good salesman!
I think I'd quite like an alfa giulia cloverleaf. In red. I wonder if they have any plans to build an estate version?
I've only ever owned one Alfa. A green Sud lifetimes ago. And I'd forgotten all about it until now.
Lovely raspy exhaust. I have zero knowledge of their current model line up
www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/alfa-romeo/giulia-quadrifoglio

This is it. Not seen them in anything else other than red, not yet anyway.
 Women and cars - Dog
Howls about something beginning wiv Mmmmmmm:

www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/mazda/2017-mazda-mx-5-rf-review-japanese-sports-car-british-roots/
 Women and cars - DP
I drove a 335d M-Sport Touring, and it was lovely but I couldn't make the sums work. The goal was for my car allowance to cover the monthly payments, and the tax relief on the business mileage to fund the insurance and routine servicing. This just about works on the 140, but on a 3 Touring, I'd have been looking at chucking another £100 a month in, which I really didn't want to do. Gorgeous cars though.

My current man maths exercise is justifying hanging on to the Focus, which we have all taken a liking to. £295 pa VED, and low to mid 20s on short runs are not ideal though.

Last edited by: DP on Fri 20 Jan 17 at 07:43
Latest Forum Posts