Motoring Discussion > If I Was A Rich Man Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 36

If I Was A Rich Man - smokie
MDs earlier thread hijack is worthy of it's own thread.

What would fill your garages if you were a millionaire?

Here's what MD said:

A lottery win of sufficient sufficiency would bring on an attack of the purchase dept. I'll start and I'll hope they all do too.

Citroen DS.
TR6
Norton Commando 850 interstate
Suzuki kettle
Triumph Tiger Cub (not the square barrelled jobby)
Ossa Mar
My original RD350B in purple
FS1E (yellow) or whatever the correct name of the colour was.
XT500
Z1 (not the Z900)
Dodge Charger
Mk1 XJ6 the short wheelbase version 1972 vintage

I will have forgotten a lot more, but it's a start. Over to you.
 If I Was A Rich Man - Zero
Can you imagine what a fat ole git is going to look like on a Fizzy?
 If I Was A Rich Man - R.P.
You reach an age were some bikes are just to be looked at (as they do)
 If I Was A Rich Man - martin aston
Before I could fill my garage l'd need to clear out all the "useful" stuff I have kept over the years (such as a flywheel puller for a Honda C50 anyone?). I guess I could afford a skip though.

Then I'd buy examples of cars from my past that I owned - Renault 4, Mini wooden estate, Allegro (don't mock, happy memories) and Saab 9-5. And some I missed out on - Triumph Vitesse convertible, Lotus Elan and 60's Jaguar.

Modern cars don't really do much for me but I'd buy a convertible Aston, a Jaguar limo and fit out something innocuous looking with a darned great V8 or 12 to appeal to my suppressed inner boy racer.
 If I Was A Rich Man - legacylad
Being pragmatic, just one car for everyday use. I would wait until the new 5 series Touring becomes available, then purchase one in 540ix spec. 3 litre straight six. With pano roof.
In the meantime I'm happy to drive around in my 140k mile Focus diseasel
 If I Was A Rich Man - Cliff Pope
I'm pretty much with your sentiments Martin - time stopped for me in about 1991.

Some of my own earlier cars I don't think I'd really want now. The 1947 Triumph roadster was my big love at the time, but I'm not quite so taken now.
Daimler Dart remains my one real fantasy unrequited love, possibly a Jaguar XK120.

The big requirement would be a large barn rather than garages. Something big enough so that all the cars could be parked open plan, and I could start up any one I fancied and drive straight out.
Next would be a large very heavy duty portable starter battery on wheels, because 20 or so batteries would always be a bit low, and it's a faff having to raid one from something else if you want to start something that's been unused for a month.
I'd want a garage lift and full range of stands etc, perhaps with a good pressure washer ready plumbed in nearby.
Also machines like a tyre changer, press, etc

After those basics, the cars:

Daimler Dart
TR6, or perhaps 5 would be nicer - I'd trade in the Triumph 2000.
Jaguar XK120 roadster
Pre-war Rolls sports saloon
Open Alvis tourer late 40s
Unimog
Crawler tractor
VW camper van split screen
Some sort of huge American car with fins
Volvo Amazon - white with red leather interior, bench seat and column change, original sports option
Renault 4 might be fun to own again
Mercedes 50s or 60s, possibly convertible
Old Jensen V8 - 481 or whatever it was called.

It goes on and on - original Jeep perhaps, or maybe an Austin Champ.
 If I Was A Rich Man - CGNorwich
Anything reliable that I don't have to worry too much about.

Which is what I've got - a Golf.

I've achieved my motoring ambition!
 If I Were A Rich Man - movilogo
Most millionaires drive ordinary cars. One reason being that they prefer not to spend money on depreciating assets :o)

Last edited by: movilogo on Sat 14 Jan 17 at 19:45
 If I Were A Rich Man - CGNorwich
Got it in one. :-)
 If I Were A Rich Man - Runfer D'Hills
Well I guess we all have that "money no object" fantasy occasionally? Well, you'd think anyone into cars would anyway.

In my case, I'm pleased to say that I too would almost certainly buy something very similar to, or the even exactly the same as the company Merc E class estate I currently have.

I might be tempted into a bigger engined version, but otherwise it just does everything I need and want a car to do while remaining understated.

Flashing the cash would hold no interest for me. I'd not want to be all that conspicuous.

If I were to have a second car, it might be something like a Land Rover Defender van for my mountain biking habit, but in truth, I'd probably just do what I do now, and shove them on the roof of the estate.

That's not to say that I'd maybe not be tempted to hire a "supercar" now and then for the hell of it, but for a daily driver, my car suits me very well, both for the purposes and requirements of my current wage slavery and for my private life.
 If I Were A Rich Man - NortonES2
Honda S2000
Norton 600 twin or Matchless 500
Prius for routine use.
 If I Were A Rich Man - Harleyman
>> Honda S2000
>> Norton 600 twin or Matchless 500
>> Prius for routine use.
>>
>>

Final choice would be guaranteed to spend most of its life outside my garage were it forced upon me. Would sooner push the bike. ;-)

My own collection would be fairly eclectic but predictably American-influenced.

1942 Crocker big tank; out-Harleys any Harley.

Mack B61 (big boy's toy)

Pre-1963 Chevrolet or GMC pick-up.

1936 Auburn Speedster

Series 1 Land Rover

MV Agusta 750S; in my opinion simply the most beautiful motorcycle ever made.

Bentley 3 litre.

Modern wheels; Dodge Magnum SRT8
 If I Were A Rich Man - No FM2R

>>MV Agusta 750S; in my opinion simply the SECOND most beautiful motorcycle ever made

The first.....

www.bikeexif.com/laverda
 If I Were A Rich Man - Harleyman
>>
>> >>MV Agusta 750S; in my opinion simply the SECOND most beautiful motorcycle ever made
>>
>> The first.....
>>
>> www.bikeexif.com/laverda
>>

Now I prefer the 750 twins myself. Agreed the Jota is a handsome brute but overly big for me.
 If I Were A Rich Man - NortonES2
Final choice for utility transport would take some beating. Excitement, fulfilment, damp palms etc. can be invoked by the other modes listed!
 If I Were A Rich Man - Cliff Pope
>> Most millionaires drive ordinary cars. One reason being that they prefer not to spend money
>> on depreciating assets :o)
>>

I've never spent money on a car that depreciated.
None of my list is likely to depreciate.
Having the said all the above, if I were seriously wealthy, I'd have houses in various parts of the world so that I could enjoy whatever sort of weather, culture and scenery I chose whenever I chose.

You know, a beach house in the Caribbean, a ski lodge in Switzerland, a town house in Edinburgh, an apartment with a roof terrace in New York, another beach house in California, a log cabin in Canada etc etc...

Each house would have a suitable vehicle left with it to use when I was there.

Given my list, what does the panel think would go with each of them?

Damn, forgot to buy a lottery ticket this week !

;-)
 If I Were A Rich Man - R.P.
Given my list, what does the panel think would go with each of them?

Ford Mondeo Estate ?

I was thinking more along the lines of a Jeep Wrangler at the Caribbean house, a G Wagon at the Swiss ski lodge, a Mini Cooper Works at the Edinburgh town house, a snowmobile at the Canadian log cabin ( and a small seaplane of course ) and a Mustang convertible at the California house.

Think that's all.

E class estate the rest of the time.
 If I Were A Rich Man - legacylad
Runfer, you seem to have overlooked the lakeside property at Tahoe, for which a Macan would be obligatory. Winter tyres fitted at this time of year.... stunning views NE across the lake to NV at the moment on the Sierra at Tahoe webcam.
Apologies. Quite right. ;-)
Although on reflection, the problem with a Macan is sort of the same as with a Boxster, in that if you were in a "money no object" situation, well, let's be honest, you'd buy the Cayenne or the 911 wouldn't you?
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 15 Jan 17 at 21:12
No and no. I prefer the proportions of the Macan over the Cayenne. As for the 911, that won't accommodate your friends, their skis, boards and boots.
Yours practically
LL
 If I Were A Rich Man - rtj70
When my brother did the San Francisco to Tahoe journey for skiing, he opted for a 5.2 V8 SUV. The 4.0 variant even with snow chains wouldn't be up to the tougher parts.

Except for 48-50 weeks of the year the same vehicle would be used in the Bay area and Silicon Valley. Seems a waste to drive on those extreme winter tyres for the rest of the year - but he did.

And when I did Yosemite one summer with him (Same car) the brakes didn't smell to good coming down some steep slopes.

I bet he couldn't attempt it in the Tesla Model S now!
My Placerville friends ( midway between Sacramento & S Lake Tahoe on Hway 50) fit winter tyres on 2 of their cars between November & April. Both are 4 WDs, a Toyota Tundra 4.7l V8, and a Toyota Sienna V6. Chain control operates throughout the Tahoe area after a heavy snowfall. All you do is stop at control, show the authorities you have engaged 4WD, have proper winter tyres fitted, and off you go. For 2WD owners, you have to fit chains to continue past 'control'. For those not wanting to crawl around in a snow storm, there is a team of fitters on hand. Presumably they bid for this contract every year.
Hway 89, up the W Shore, is often closed after a large dump. I've had some exciting drives in the Tundra as my friends like to make fresh tracks in the powder, and the worse the road conditions, the more it deters other skiers & boarders.
We put the camper unit on the back of the Tundra one winter and had a long weekend snowshoeing around Yosemite. The eastern portal being closed for the winter months, lots of tourists were driving up from the coast to enjoy the snowy scenery, not realising the altitude and snow covered roads to safely navigate before descending into the valley. We pulled several hire cars out of ditches. I think my pal had almost as much kit as my local CRO Land Rovers.
Cliff, I don't know how many cars you have owned but that statement is mighty impressive. At a rough guess I've owned around 35/40 cars, changing them every 3 or 4 months when younger. Off the top of my head I can only think of one in recent memory on which I made a profit..a N reg Defender 90. Several others lost very little in value ... from my Mazda 626 ( bought at £995, sold @ £950 after 3 years) to a 20V UrQuattro on which I lost about £1500 after 4 years.
The current Focus shouldn't cost me much in depreciation, he says hopefully.
 If I Was A Rich Man - devonite
Here's your "starter" Cliff!

tinyurl.com/jac97yt

(links to Ebay)
 If I Was A Rich Man - Fullchat
That's a beaut.
 If I Was A Rich Man - sooty123
time stopped for me in about 1991.
>

you really should get that battery changed you know ;)
 If I Was A Rich Man - R.P.
Oddly I wouldn't change much. Maybe a new BMW petrol - the current bike fleet is near perfect.
now comprising of a brace of new Triumphs (a Tiger 800 and the Scrambler) and the older StreetTriple...more or less a bike for every occasion. Just flogged my R80GS leaving a bike shaped space in the garage...
I have two what I would consider 'affluent' friends. One is my best pal who until a few months ago ran a 10yo X5 with 240k on the clock. The other knocks around an old X type 3.0 petrol 4wd.
Neither have much interest in cars, so I fully understand their choices
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 15 Jan 17 at 16:24
 If I Was A Rich Man - MD
>> Can you imagine what a fat ole git is going to look like on a
>> Fizzy?
>>
Good evening Darling,

I never suggested that you should mount one. X
 If I Was A Rich Man - movilogo
www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-4071200/How-afford-Lamborghini-meet-salesman.html

Few interesting statements below.

'Since 2008, people have become more savvy with how they use their money', says Steve. 'Our customers want to fund other projects, such as property and investments, with their cash. That means there's a heavy demand for finance when it comes to their vehicles.'

People who make their money from YouTube and playing computer games online are among the new breed of customers driving supercar sales.

This is true of Aston Martins, Ferraris, and Lamborghinis: there was a time when these cars were exclusively owned by footballers, pop and film stars, and those at the top of the nation's executive tree.

But with the birth of a new breed of social media celebrity, more affordable running costs and tempting finance deals on the table, supercar ownership is diversifying.

It is more common than you’d imagine - we’ve sold cars entirely by email having never spoken face-to-face,'

If I Was A Rich Man - TheManWithNoName
My garage wish list would include...

A VW Beetle built in the month & year I was born
Mk2 Cortina
A McLaren somethingorother
Triumph Dolomite Sprint
Something large like a Jaguar XJ6 but with the interior ripped out, roll cage fitted and all beaten up to look like a banger racer but still road legal. Wouldn't have to worry about parking dents and people would give way to me.

and something ex military like this.

tinyurl.com/hsxth2q
If I was a rich man I would spend at least 6/8 months overseas, so my 540ix Touring would suffice. I'd sell my house, buy a lovely two bed apartment which I could securely lock up, and see lots of the world and appreciate other cultures.
The older I get the less time I wish to spend in this country....primarily because of the weather. Waking up to blue skies every day really lifts my spirits, as I found out with two extended visits to the western States in 2015. And even after 12 weeks of such weather I didn't long for rain, low cloud, mist, drizzle.
The only things I seriously missed were proper beer, a decent local pub and cheap curries after a night on the lash.
So there
 If I Was A Rich Man - Dog
>>If I was a rich man I would spend at least 6/8 months overseas

Yep, I'll have some of that too, maybe even 8-10 months.

>>The older I get the less time I wish to spend in this country....primarily because of the weather

ditto.

>>Waking up to blue skies every day really lifts my spirits

Mucho ditto.

>>And even after 12 weeks of such weather I didn't long for rain, low cloud, mist, drizzle

I did, after 8 months of sun.

Cars?, I'm quite looking forward to getting the Subaru XV but, if I was a rich man I'd have a 5 series to go wivvit.
Nothing special though, a 528i auto would do me :)

If I Was A Rich Man - Harleyman

>> and something ex military like this.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/hsxth2q
>>

You wouldn't buy one of those damn things if you'd ever worked on them. FV432 is a much better bet.
Latest Forum Posts