Motoring Discussion > New car for Nicole. Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 124

New car for Nicole. - Zero
Nicole is leaving the NHS for another job, and in the process leaving the lease car behind.

Lease car is a 2007 clio 1.5dci.

She has £6k car fund.

Favourite is a 1.4 2006 Polo, but any other ideas welcome

Mitsi colt has been rejected, we dont like it. Fiat is out, clio is out - its her third and she wants a change, wont touch a Fiesta or Ka with your bargepole let alone her own.

I have thought
Polo
Yaris
Auris

And then I had a blank - so ideas please.
 New car for Nicole. - smokie
Dare I say...C'eed?
 New car for Nicole. - Marc
I would have said Alfa Romeo MiTo but I've just had a look at used prices so that's out.
 New car for Nicole. - rtj70
Skoda Fabia vRS? No idea if you can get one in that price range that has not been thrashed.
Plenty Fabia ordinaire at that price but no vRS, but the fabia is another goodun to include.
 New car for Nicole. - Roger.
The Fabia 1.9tdi, non-VRS goes pretty well with 101 BHP.
I have one, now nine years old and 143,000 KM.
C'E'E'D Wow, just checked, didnt know they were that cheap second hand. 2008, 1.6, 38k £4999
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 10 Aug 10 at 18:16
 New car for Nicole. - rtj70
You mentioned Polo so I thought VAG cars. I nearly added SEAT Arosa (still available?) or SEAT Ibiza. But I think the Polo and Fabia are better cars design wise.

But £5k for a C'eed.... maybe I should get one as the replacement to my Mazda6 next year and take the £500 per month in my salary instead.... but I could get the new BMW 5 series saloon and not be out of pocket with my allowance I find. But don't want to steal this thread. I am mulling ideas. But I did go an sit in one today and really liked it :-( I wanted an Audi A5 Sportback.
 New car for Nicole. - Skoda
Honda Jazz
Nissan Note
Mazda 2
Corsa / Astra

I think the Fabia's ugly, Monika prefers it to the Polo!

Jazz is out, does not want to look like a pensioner she says, hate corsa's, hate the look of the note,
Mazda 2's a fester in disguise too, i think?
>> You mentioned Polo so I thought VAG cars. I nearly added SEAT Arosa (still available?)
>> or SEAT Ibiza. But I think the Polo and Fabia are better cars design wise.

We like the new Ibiza, dont like the old, the old is all we can afford.
 New car for Nicole. - Kevin
Hyundai i30?

Kevin...

New car for Nicole. - Dog
>>Favourite is a 1.4 2006 Polo, but any other ideas welcome<<

1.4 (FSI?) engine prone to severe bore wear after 3 - 4 years.
 New car for Nicole. - MD
What's not to like about the Colt??
Shes a woman, dont go there.
 New car for Nicole. - MD
Message understood.
 New car for Nicole. - Iffy
...wont touch a Fiesta or Ka with your bargepole let alone her own...

Such a shame to be denied access to class-leading machinery because of prejudice.

I suppose either Ford would out-handle the Lancer, so might prove an embarrassment.

Best go for one of the many thoroughbreds from Korea or Malaysia - should fit right in.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Tue 10 Aug 10 at 19:50
at least she can afford a roof.
...at least she can afford a roof...

To be serious, how about something a bit different such as a Micra convertible?

They've been around a while now and might have dropped into budget.

Or one those Colt CZ-whatever it is - the thing we had a seven volume thread in the BR about.

we dont like micra or colt, roofed or not.

New car for Nicole. - Hard Cheese

>> ...wont touch a Fiesta or Ka with your bargepole let alone her own...
>>
>> Such a shame to be denied access to class-leading machinery because of prejudice.
>>

The new Fiesta is truly class leading though also iro £3k of RF's er Zero's budget and wouldn't choose the previous Fiesta over a Clio or Yaris of the same age.

New car for Nicole. - henry k
>>The new Fiesta is truly class leading.
>>
I had a brand new ( 200miles only) Fiesta Titanium for a couple of hours yesterday.
It was so so noisy. I guess it was the tyres. The engine was quiet but even at 5mph what a racket. I did not note what brand of tyres were fitted.
A rubber seal on the drivers door had already come half unstuck. A small fault but not a good start. Lots of bells and whistles but the fuel guage was hidden behind the steering wheel.
>> It is clear that the new Fiesta is far and away the best car in the class

>> The new Fiesta is truly class leading

[[citation required]] ;-)
 New car for Nicole. - Avant
I think you were right the first time - Polo or Fabia (may get a newer Fabia for the budget); Yaris (go for the 1.3 - elder daughter is on her fourth) or Auri if she needs the room. Not much image with an Auris - is that important?

If space doesn't matter, and she likes Renaults, she could try a Twingo. Younger daughter and fiance have a 1.2 TCE GT which is very lively.
 New car for Nicole. - Bellboy
whats wrong with a suzi woosey?
we no wikey suzi woosey
we or she?
just remember whos holding the folding thick enough to choke a donkey
Its the royal "we"
 New car for Nicole. - corax
Yaris (go for the 1.3 - elder daughter is on
>> her fourth)

My mum has an '05 Yaris 1.3 Colour Collection (foglights, roof spoiler e.t.c). Does around 48mpg average, it's nippy, and she likes it because you sit high up, so you're not intimidated by larger cars. I think they're better looking than the new shape, although maybe you're looking for something a bit younger. Can't fault it anyway.
 New car for Nicole. - -
Been racking me head about something economical and reasonable quality meself recent, have done mucho thinking and looking around.

Nicole likes Yaris, good choice but relatively expensive for a given year.

What about a Yaris in another frock?

Daihatsu Sirion, i know Stu's had good service from his'n, and lots of room especially bonce room.
If i change it will quite possibly be one of these, seem to be some very low mileage used on the market at comparable price to Yarisi with 2 to 4 times the miles.

1.3 is probably the best of the bunch, but even more rare is the SX which has quite a pocket rocket 1.5 jobbie under the deceivingly plain bonnet.

Keep the knowledge among ourselves chaps, i wants a bargain meself.
 New car for Nicole. - ....
You appear to have narrowed it down to shopping trolleys. Is there a reason for this ? Bigger, "dirtier" metal falls in this price bracket too. It's a car one of the worst investments you'll ever make so why not have some fun ?
 New car for Nicole. - helicopter
SWMBO also works for NHS and absolutely loves her 1.3 Yaris.... its her second one and about due for replacement but it just keeps going strong and has never let her down - its the five door with aircon etc.

I would be considering a Nissan Note and Hyundai i10 as well.......

Last edited by: retpocileh on Wed 11 Aug 10 at 09:06
I cant see me managing to convince Nicole to have big dirty metal.

Shopping trolley? thats exactly what she wants, travel to work (20 minutes), travel to waitrose (5 minutes) bluewater (an hour) and occasional trips to Hereford (2.5 hours)

Supportive seats (not a clio strong point) are key.

In the same market ourselves though looking up to £9k, perhaps £10k at a push.

It is clear that the new Fiesta is far and away the best car in the class followed by the Mazda 2 though you wont get either for £6K. The Clio III is also good both pre and post facelift so we may go for a 1.2 TCE, great VFM. The new Polo is pretty good to drive though a 2006 Polo not so, wooden handling.

I wouldn't look further than another Clio III, at '06 / '07 only a newer Yaris would compete and would cost more, a new Corsa if in budget might be worth a look.

What about a lease Zero?

The "just add fuel" adverts for Peugeot on this site could possibly come in under £6k for the length of the term. Not sure about the modern pug's, but my old 306 was made from iron girders and granite.

35+3 rental for £6k = ~£158 / mo

New Fabia in budget.

EDIT: to be honest that's not the best deal around, you could get the TSi engine instead of the old tech NA 1.2 from ling, the 1.2TSi Fabia Elegance (top of the range) for £140/mo via Drive the Deal
Last edited by: CraigP on Wed 11 Aug 10 at 10:35
worth a thought.
 New car for Nicole. - Dulwich Estate
Suzuki Swift.

£6k will get a 55 or 06 one.
 New car for Nicole. - BobbyG
Is Nicole daughter or missus???

Nicole is the wife of Zero!
I always thought she was ur missus, but then she was Nicole when you were RF, and it was Papa and Nicole in the adverts so thought she may have been your.... oh forget it!

Switching jobs, hubby is retired sitting about the house browsing car forums all day, she won't need a car as I bet she will be be very soon wanting to follow suit............
She wont be Nicole if she goes German or Slovakian. Fifi needs a name change as well - thinking maybe lotus blossom.
 New car for Nicole. - AnotherJohnH
The recent (09) petrol Fabias are a bit odd, IMHO.

SWMBO has a 1.2 petrol 70bhp 3pot "MPI".

It's not terribly economical, and can be a bit flat to drive unless you keep the revs up.

However if you hit its buttons just right it does a passable impression of a scalded cat.
Possibly even sounds like one, but that's something I haven't done or witnessed.

I find the seats are good for about 2 hours on the basic "1", the better trimmed are "2", and "3".
They are a bit firm, in the German fashion.

The (optional on the basic version) aircon gets more use than we expected, which may go some way to explaining the fuel consumption.

Front suspension can crash like you've broken something if you hit a big pot hole.

The electric PAS is less twitchy around straight ahead than the Mk2 Punto, which wouldn't be difficult.

Headlamps seem slightly dim by comparison with my Punto (I get to drive in the dark with no other traffic or street lighting fairly regularly).

We've had one failure - one of the retaining clips for the "roller blind" parcel shelf fell off inside the trim at about 14 months.

The key entry and turning in the door locks were stiff and nasty (non remote on the "1").

Both sorted under warrantee.

Having said all that, it's a nice wee car, a useful size in town (smaller and narrower than most of the competition), and the dealers seem eager to please.

I don't know what you'd find with the new TSI.
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Wed 11 Aug 10 at 17:15
 New car for Nicole. - ....
>> I cant see me managing to convince Nicole to have big dirty metal.
>>
You must be able to get a C6 for 10p maybe 50p if it's taxed & tested with a full tank of fuel by now ? No ?

>> Shopping trolley? thats exactly what she wants, travel to work (20 minutes), travel to waitrose
>> (5 minutes) bluewater (an hour) and occasional trips to Hereford (2.5 hours)
>>
Thought I'd ask. I didn't see anything which suggested it must be a town car.

>> Supportive seats (not a clio strong point) are key.
>>
Are aftermarket seats still widely available in the UK ? Or is that too much faff ?
I did see a Volvo C30 which was just above your budget but as it was the only one at that price suspect Alan Whicker had worn the steering wheel shiney.
whats the difference between an I30 and a C'E'E'D?

New car for Nicole. - Runfer D'Hills
Nothing, they are both........well, you know.......

:-)
I just discovered the difference, its about £1k. more
For what it's worth, I think you were probably about right at the start with the Polo. Had one on hire on hols a couple of years ago and it was really very good.
There's a 2010 Twingo on AT with just 650 miles at £5695 if Nicole likes Renaults ?
Yes twingo is a "lets look at one" listing.
Looks OK for the money. Might be a touch small perhaps but cute enough and is probably not bad. The Cat in the Hat seems to think it's alright.
very mashings on the front though
wouldnt like to hit a flower with one in full bloom
Not sure what "mashings" means BB !

But....if I'm right in thinking you fear it wouldn't be the best thing to be in an accident in I'm sort of with you. Mrs D'bout won't consider a small car again after rolling her Ka. Not that it failed to protect her, she just doesn't fancy repeating the excercise in a small car. Probably not rational but deeply understandable. I wouldn't fancy doing it in anything but if circumstances required I'd rather do it in something bigger......
yes h very fragile
all show and no bloomers
in my opinion
Has mrs D,bout got her new wheels yet?
Crossed posts !

No, still pondering I'm afraid. Had the Mondeo serviced and checked over last week. Nothing untoward to report. She's sort of keener on new floor coverings throughout the house at the moment. I've given up pushing the issue. She can have one if she wants but doesn't seem very bothered.
 New car for Nicole. - PeteW
>>There's a 2010 Twingo on AT with just 650 miles at £5695 if Nicole likes Renaults ?

2010 Twingo = 1998/2001 Mk2 Clio underneath. :-(
Its for Nicole, Its a new dress, as long as it has no VPL.
 New car for Nicole. - Old Sock
>> Its for Nicole, Its a new dress, as long as it has no VPL.....

They're okay - so long as they're changed at the recommended service intervals :-)

I drove a 2010 1.2 TCE Twingo recently, it feels tinny compared to our '98 Clio and not a patch on the new Clio or Fiesta, nice engine though. I wonder if its heritage might hark back to the Clio I.

.. Supportive seats (not a clio strong point) are key.

Get a Clio 200 Cup. It comes with Recaro's. :-)
got one handy for 6 bigguns?
Not yet :-(
Very nice looking Alfa 147 on AT at just shy of £6k. 2006 with 19000 miles in dark metallic blue.

Feelin' lucky ?

I have better things to do with my weekends than fettle her car, now if it were mine it would of course be a pleasure.
 New car for Nicole. - Boxsterboy
207?

I don't think it's been mentioned but if Nicole liked her Clios, they are similar but different.

And she wouldn't need to change her name :-)
207 not liked.

She will be changing her name. The shortlist is Polo, Fox, Fabia.

We luuuuuuuuurve the new ka, and the fiat 500, but out of our price bracket.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 16 Aug 10 at 12:23
 New car for Nicole. - Armel Coussine
Fabia. Pleasant invisible looks, good features, some quite lively variants I believe.

I seem to remember you've got it in for Fiats in general, but what's wrong with a Sheikh-style Panda? Same works as the 500 I thought.

Anyway I thought you'd already got her that blue Delahaye for a bargain £1.9m.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 16 Aug 10 at 12:31
 New car for Nicole. - BiggerBadderDave
If I really really really hated my wife, I'd buy her a Polo too.
As she is keeping me in the lifestyle to which I have become used to, she is paying for it.
Fabia then
I agree with BBD but was too polite to put it like that myself, a momentary aberration no doubt due to age. Always hated Polos.
I hired one in Rome 18 months ago and hated it from top to bottom. Skoda any day.
 New car for Nicole. - Auntie Lockbrakes
Nowt wrong with Polos. But I think the Fox is built down to a price and thrown together in Brazil to save money.... Avoid?

My vote: Panda! Can probably get a nearly new one for that budget.
I think the Panda is a good call too for what it's worth and to be fair not everyone would automatically assume you were sexually confused when you drove it on your own. Just the odd ill-informed Millwall supporter stereotype or two.

I think my wife should have one but she's not having any. She used to love her Mk 1 Panda too......
"not everyone would automatically assume you were sexually confused when you drove it"

The four burley, rough and rugged builders who renovated our house used to turn up every Monday morning in a baby blue Panda with their sleeping bags and beer/vodka stash. Their shoulders would be bulging against the side windows.

I had my sexual prejudices about Panda drivers but never voiced them until they were out of earshot.
 New car for Nicole. - Boxsterboy
Definitely NOT a Fox. Cheap South American junk a mile away from a Polo/Fabia.

Remember in South America they have only just stopped building (and buying) the old VW T2 vans (rear engined, last sold here by VW circa 1979). That's how advanced their motoring aspirations are.
Ok, well

The last throw of the dice today, a visit to the Toyota dealer. I have thrown every type of supermini at her and the shortlist is now

1/ I want a polo
2/ I want a polo
3/ I want a polo
4/ Stop all this crap, and if you know whats good for you, listen to me, I want a polo.

So, As it must have aircon, I am now tasked with finding a Polo 1.2 or 1.4 Polo S.

In a "nice colour" -- And yellow is not nice.
 New car for Nicole. - idle_chatterer
Understand that logic perfectly, Mrs IC's decision criteria were:

I want a Golf...
But it's not a Golf....
No, I tried a Focus then a Civic at your insistence and look how that turned out... I want a Golf

Amazing brand equity for VW, can't see it myself but the path of least resistance seems sensible in these circumstances.
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Tue 17 Aug 10 at 15:33
I had heard, what I must confess, I had dismissed as preposterous rumours, that many Englishmen were frightened of their wives but until now I wouldn't have believed it.

Just goes to show.

Why does this thread always have me humming "Under Your Thumb" by Godley and Creme?
Nope none of that its merely

Head? meet brick wall. Brick wall? Meet head.
No of course not.......

Can anyone hear a clucking sound ....?
Just words Humph the brave. Have we managed to get Mrs D'Bout a new car yet Hmmm?
I haven't decided what she's having yet.
Well let us know when you.... Sorry When she does. In the mean time strut your stuff brave but foolish cockerel.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 17 Aug 10 at 16:48
Anyway, every cloud has etc

I get to go to the Auctions at Blackbushe.....

I might even see old honest titfer. Action report next week chaps.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 17 Aug 10 at 19:29
What, you have to buy her a car to get some action ?

Crickey.
with a U
One can't spell auction and the other can't spell crikey.

Stone me.
Pleasure Iffy !

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crickey
Last edited by: Humph D'bout on Tue 17 Aug 10 at 19:44
I'll see your urbandictionary and raise you my dictionary.com

dictionary.reference.com/browse/crikey?db=dictionary

Last edited by: ifithelps on Tue 17 Aug 10 at 19:46

>> Stone me.

You moving the caravan to leafy North Iran?
...You moving the caravan to leafy North Iran?...

As I'm neither an adulterer nor a female, I think me and the 'van would be safe enough in Tehran.

I know too far away but some food for thought..
www.sma-group.co.uk/stock-lists/motability.aspx?ven=motability&Make=Volkswagen&Model=Polo
 New car for Nicole. - MD
Back to the Colt then.
 New car for Nicole. - Roger.
Having just had a new Fabia 1.4tdi as a loan car for the day, I would counsel against one.
The power is not only moderate, but the real problem is the absolutely awful "growly" engine noise of the 3 pot unit - very audible in the cabin.
I was relieved to get my Fabia Mk1 1.9tdi back: much quicker and even at nearly 10 years old, quieter!
Last edited by: landsker on Wed 18 Aug 10 at 19:25

Motorpoint have 2008 3dr 1.2TCE Expression Clios for £6k.

Nicole does not want another clio, especially the expression. They have poor seats.
 New car for Nicole. - DP
That surprises me. If I had to put money on Renault getting one thing right in a car, apart from ride comfort, it would be the seats.
yes they are sound seats in most renos if your piles are playing uop
Last edited by: Bellboy on Fri 27 Aug 10 at 22:26
I think its just the seats in the lower model new shape clio. The dynamique and above seats are better.
 New car for Nicole. - MD
As a brief aside, are Renaults really the pile of pants some commentators would have us believe?? Gotta say that My master van has given sterling service (to date!!)

Martin.
a master van is really old generation reliable
ie
basic technology (ie reliable to the extreme) engine /gearbox/wheels surrounded by tin with non of those temperamental electronic gizmos to make it go wrong

they were dammed good vans
 New car for Nicole. - MD
02 common rail BB!
>> As a brief aside, are Renaults really the pile of pants some commentators would have
>> us believe?? Gotta say that My master van has given sterling service (to date!!)

Depends on the car. Nicoles current 1.5dci Clio 3 has been faultless, now in its 4th year. SO was her previous Clio2

New car for Nicole. - MD
I sometimes got a clio when master was being serviced and I have to say thoroughly enjoyable.
This morning we have purchased an immaculate 2006/56, 20k miles, three door, Polo 1.4(80) S, in flame red.
Really ? Goodness. Bet you can't wait to take that for a razz.....You can burn it up with the other pensioners in their beige Micras down at Eastbourne this Bank Hol if you get it in time....Don't forget your matching cardys....

Only kiddin' Zero, almost certainly a fine choice, like I mentioned before, we had one on hire during a holiday a couple of years back and it was tickety boo for the job. Good wee cars. When do you get it ?
>>When did you get it?

He got it this morning, as it says :-)
I think I mean have they actually physically got it yet......

Pick it up next weekend after we have arranged insurance.
 New car for Nicole. - hawkeye
We .... have purchased

WE ?

How many £ ?

How many of yours; how many of hers ?

You old softie ...
Hope it's everything her heart desires Zero. They say the Polo has improved since I first took against it.
>> We .... have purchased
>>
>> WE ?
>>
>> How many £ ?
>>
>> How many of yours; how many of hers ?
>>
>> You old softie ...

It was the "royal" we. All of hers, 5 and a lot bigguns. Paid good top of range money for a good example.

Seen a lot of sheds, some of them a lot younger and a lot more money. One of them with non working aircon, "only needs a top up gov" Yeah well top it up and sell it to some other mug.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 28 Aug 10 at 20:14
 New car for Nicole. - Marc
"One of them with non working aircon, "only needs a top up gov" Yeah well top it up and sell it to some other mug."

Wasn't Bellboy was it?
Dunno, wasnt on a bomb site with flags strung round it, so probably not.
oi
im here you know
anyway i blank the buttons out if its non working
 New car for Nicole. - Old Navy
Didn't take BB long to recognise his emporium did it. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 28 Aug 10 at 21:01
I THINK you'll find, Mr Bellknave was it? that according to my bumper book of Cars here from quite recently actually, 1987 but the late edition, so bang up to date almost actually, this model was supposed to have a/c unless it's one of a short run made especially for the Channel Islands police, but of course it's not one of those I can tell by the chassis number, hang on are those file marks is that new paint over that dodgy weld... Yes I thought so these button blanking plugs aren't the ones made by the Renault-owned plastics subsidiary Merdeplastique plc Virgin Islands, ought to have a tiny serial number somewhere on the rim here... tell you what I've got 650 in Mexican pesos on me can we do a deal or shall I go to trading standards, eh? eh? eh?
Got it yet ?
Hate it yet?
>> Hate it yet?

She loves it. I have to say, its quite a good looker in bright red.
>> Got it yet ?

Last Night at 17:30
Wants a bike rack that. It'd look especially good with an aluminium clip on one trimmed with black rubber fittings and red webbing. Hard to find a good one like that at a sensible price though.
Latest Forum Posts