Motoring Discussion > coming to your area soon? Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Bellboy Replies: 17

coming to your area soon? - Bellboy
or maybe they are in your area alreadies?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-10846035
 coming to your area soon? - bathtub tom
>>Examinations of the brake pads revealed .............they are held together by glue.

I wonder what's holding mine together?

coming to your area soon? - Runfer D'Hills
There'll be no stopping them soon.....

It's OK coat still on..
 coming to your area soon? - Cliff Pope
>> >>Examinations of the brake pads revealed .............they are held together by glue.
>>
>> I wonder what's holding mine together?
>>
>>
>>

I think you'll find it's glue. But it's called "bonded" in the best circles.
 coming to your area soon? Counterfeit Brake Pads - Chas
The story goes all the way back to April and two parts factors were involved. Supplied garages in NI with counterfeit VAG brake pads that they may have not realised were suspect themselves.
 coming to your area soon? - Chas
Well, the story continues... www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11176937
thanks for that Chas
hopefully non have arrived over here and another reason safety critical parts are best bought from factors that have structures in place to stop counterfeit goods being passed on and not from internet sites where the sellers hide behind smokescreens
 coming to your area soon? - Mike Hannon
I'm amazed no-one has mentioned the 'C' word.
The internet is full of manufacturing offers from a certain country, with no guarantee of quality mentioned.
 coming to your area soon? - L'escargot
As far as I'm concerned anything which isn't a genuine spare part is counterfeit. I count all pattern parts as being counterfeit.
 coming to your area soon? - Perky Penguin
Thread drift alert! Rather more worrying in the same racket going on with aircraft spares - the profit margins are so much higher! It was alleged that the BA 747 which was destroyed at Kuwait airport some years ago was sold for scrap and many parts from it finished up in service in other aircraft. A sort of very high price breaker's yard!
 coming to your area soon? - Skoda
>> It was alleged that the BA 747 which was destroyed at Kuwait airport some years ago was sold for scrap and many parts from it finished up in service in other aircraft. A sort of very high price breaker's yard!

Alleged? I think that's standard practice? Anything than can be certified reusable, gets reused.
 coming to your area soon? - Zero

>> Alleged? I think that's standard practice? Anything than can be certified reusable, gets reused.

It is standard practise. There are licensed brokers who obtain and sell such parts. The checking of source however has not prevented counterfeit parts entering the aircraft industry.
>> As far as I'm concerned anything which isn't a genuine spare part is counterfeit. I
>> count all pattern parts as being counterfeit.
>>
>>>>>> do you possess a hoover or a vacuum cleaner?
 coming to your area soon? - MD
Now that's picky BB, but I like your style. 10/10
 coming to your area soon? - Ian (Cape Town)
>>I
>> count all pattern parts as being counterfeit.
>>
Indeed. But depends what you are buying.
When the local crankheads smashed the indicators on my Opel, twice in a matter of weeks, to steal the bulbs (for smoking drugs), I replaced the units with chinese-made copies at a third of the price of OE.
But when it comes to safety stuff like brakes and tyres or mechanical kit like plugs, filters etc, it is penny-wise pound foolish.
The amount of rubbish on the market locally is frightening, and there seem to be spares shops opening up everywhere.
 coming to your area soon? - DP
>>I count all pattern parts as being counterfeit.

A bit harsh, L'escargot. Counterfeit implies there is an intent to defraud. I fail to see how a pattern part which does not claim to be a manufacturer's "genuine" part can be considered counterfeit.

Car manufacturers do not "make" brake pads, discs, suspension bushes etc. The work is contracted out to third parties, and the suppliers can and do change frequently. So the whole notion of a "genuine" part is a bit misleading anyway.

And I have lost count of the number of "pattern" bushes I have bought for the suspension of various Fords which are better quality, and longer lasting than the ones a Ford dealer would supply.
 coming to your area soon? - Iffy
...Counterfeit implies there is an intent to defraud...

Quite so, a pattern part is simply one made to the same pattern as the original.

It is often made just as well, and sometimes better.

Most of us know which manufacturers are reputable and which are not.

I've seen a few attempts at 'passing off' over the years.

The names can be amusing.

Kenda and Dirling for Honda and Girling spring to mind.

Quite hard to spot when done in a similar typeface to the original.

coming to your area soon? - DP
>> Most of us know which manufacturers are reputable and which are not.

That is the key to it, plus of course where you buy them from is important.

I've used the likes of Quinton Hazell, Lockheed/Delphi, Bendix, Scantech (for Volvo), Mintex, Unipart etc for years and never once found any noticeable difference in performance or longevity between those and "genuine" parts.
And it was left to the aftermarket to come up with a TCA bush design for the Sierra that lasted longer than 2 MOTs, and didn't go soft long before that and cause sloppy steering and premature front tyre wear.
Latest Forum Posts